Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:58 am 

Looking to buy a Chronograph, let me know what you have. Figured I would post here before getting one from Amazon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:55 am 

The FX is good if you've got some space to work with. It doesn't work well if you are shooting into a target a few feet away from my experience. But most people have 7 or 8 yards minimum in their basement so probably not an issue. I like to test from a couple feet away when working on a gun so I use a cheap Chinese one like this #Aliexpress C$ 65.79 | English version Rechargeable LCD WIFI connect Initial velocity shooting range velometer 120sets of data shutdown save
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUYiqFm

It has wifi spreadsheet as well that you can connect to on your phone to see the results as you shoot. I use this one and it seems very accurate.

I've also used this one a lot. #Aliexpress C$ 43.15 26%OFF | Muzzle Speed Meter Velocimetry Velocity Anemometer Valence Tester with Tripod
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWtKfzQ

The good thing about both of these is they have infrared lighting built in, so no need for special lights or daylight. They work pretty much 100 % with no errors.
My caldwell I was always fighting with it, trying this light and that and was relieved when I finally shot it and broke it for good, lol!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:00 am 

listen to Wes, buy from Wes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:08 am 

Lol thanks!
If you'd like a good one with a great app on your phone and ability to shoot at targets at the same time definitely look at the fx. Works great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:03 pm 

Yeah Ive been using the clamp on muzzle, Chinese chrony, alot more than my F1.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:33 am 

I don't trust Chinese accuracy. Have five different models of digital thermometers including infrared pistol . The readings are all over the chart, non show the same and way to apart, so when need precision, I use old analog Taylor. If you want to be sure, stick to F1 Chrony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:08 am 

kaptain Jack wrote:
I don't trust Chinese accuracy. Have five different models of digital thermometers including infrared pistol . The readings are all over the chart, non show the same and way to apart, so when need precision, I use old analog Taylor. If you want to be sure, stick to F1 Chrony

I have to get a new 9V battery. But from my previous tests between the Chinese muzzle chrony and the Chrony F1. They're around par.

Ive gotten numbers plus or minus 2 FPS. With the Chrony F1, you need to deal with lighting, a couple inches vertical, changes the FPS. Distance changes the FPS. I have less errors with the Chinese than the F1. It's accurate enough.

My F1 only comes out to do comparison, or to chrony my PBs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:36 am 

FX chronograph doesn’t require light, and gives off less errors. All I see with standard chronographs, is people fiddling with it to get the correct light. Doesn’t work well on darker days. I’ve chronographed in the Dark, can’t do that with a standard chrony.

I also don’t understand Wes’ comment about space, because the FX grabs the reading within a few inches, has nothing to do with target distance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 am 

Thanks for the info everyone. I will probably order the fx one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:56 am 

After some four years of using my infrared chronograph finally I managed to kill it, so me shopping for a new unit as well.
No way I will go back to box style shooting through wires and hassling with lights and and whatever else to point out, I had couple of those in the past and also at my archery club we tested many-many units side by side, these may float your boat but I am not going to waste my money and time with those again.

I need maybe 1-2-3 times a year and most likely will be sitting in my drawer 99% of the time. I like toys very much but investing high dollars into FX then rather I would go with labradar if I could find any second hand unit.

For now I will check out the infrared from aliexpress hoping they started shipping again.
THANKS wesb2007 for a keyword searching tip, completely lost from mind that these could be called other then chronograph.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:43 pm 

replicacanada wrote:
FX chronograph doesn’t require light, and gives off less errors. All I see with standard chronographs, is people fiddling with it to get the correct light. Doesn’t work well on darker days. I’ve chronographed in the Dark, can’t do that with a standard chrony.

I also don’t understand Wes’ comment about space, because the FX grabs the reading within a few inches, has nothing to do with target distance.
Interesting. I stand corrected then. I found the fx chrony I tested did not work properly indoors shooting into my pellet trap. I assumed the radar needed some distance to get a reading. Shows what I know. Perhaps something else was wrong.
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:23 am 

I do stand corrected and I apologize for the false info. I figured I better make sure the ones I have in stock are working so I tested both at short range and they worked flawlessly. So apparently I wasn't doing something right with that other one..
Thanks,
Wes Bashforth