Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:59 am 

I've lost count on the number of posts similar to this on the forum. The answer always comes up the same: duct seal = quiet; doesn't matter what you put it in. Also, many other options equally quiet are out there, and everybody's got their own idea of what works for them. If you've got a couple pairs of old jeans, it will work for you. If you have lots of cardboard passing through your household, it'll work for you. If you're a carpet salesperson, samples will work for you. If you bring in more plastic bags than you put garbage in and take out, they'll work for you. ad nauseum

I just don't think it's possible to beat this subject more to its death. If you're new and haven't read all those posts, try Search.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:29 pm 

I went ahead and bought few materials..

I found an ikea box gathering dust in my storage room. Eket shelves i believe its the name. They're a bit deep and very squarry... they worth like $25 if im not mistaken

I went to homedepot and bought 10 duct seal bars...$4 each so it came to $40
Those duct seal bars are already 1 inch thick..

My only concern now is my wife and kids... they will see all the pellets stuck on the seal..
I forgot to mention this but i want a box that doesn't look like a target practice..

My current box doesn't look like one if i remove all the pellets and the target papers.

The other option will be to add a carpet to my current box so pellets wont make any sound when they hit the 45 angle. Right now they just slide on a 45 angle but it's making too much sound .. if i put a carpet on the 45 angle i really don't want the pellet to bounce back...

If it works, ill just return the duct seal...

Ill keep ya posted. Thanks

Remington Express Hunter break barrel
KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:31 pm 

Not sure I understand what issue it is that you are trying to avoid, but how
'bout just putting a hinged door on the front of your box. Close it and lock
It when you're done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 pm 

Good suggestion, Murray.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:55 am 

I might have an old alarm system box somewhere in the house...ill take a look..

That kind of box do have a door that you can close so it doesn't look like a target practice.

Things a want to avoid: Noise mainly... but i forgot to mention that my wife doesn't approve this hobby because we have kids running around.. so i just use my rifles when nobody home.. not even my wife.

It's a pain to set everything up and store everything before everyone show up..

Right now i hide my pellet catcher inside the shed, my rifles are hidden in my computer room in a closet inside a locked gun cabinet that only i know where the key is.. i have to lock my door if i have to take the rifles out for whatever reason...

I did told my wife i had airgun rifles..but they were stored at my parent's house... :axe: :D

So i need a setup that is very light and mobile , quiet and easy and quick to store..

The alarm box filled with duct seal might do the trick..

im a member of a local shooting range.. but i still need to move around my gears ..from the gunsafe to the garage where my truck is... i do all that when everybody sleeping...

KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:08 am 

WOW. My wife absolutely loves my hobby of my indoor pellet/bow range. Not running off to the gun range everyday now. I prefer to shoot at home now also.

Step daughter got into a bit of trouble, needed a place for grandkids for a couple days, Children's Aide would not approve my house with all the guns, bows and target range. What on earth is this world coming to? GGRRRR! Guess they think guns killing, blood and Gore of video games is better for the poor children.

Forget the police, Childrens Aide needs defunded!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:44 am 

Ok took 15 min to make...

Im using a first aid kit box made of metal... there is no way a pellet can go through this thing....

Once closed it is the opposite of what this thing represent :lol:

Feel free to comment

Attachments:
DA15C9BF-D55B-45EE-B241-580BC9651BF3.jpeg
DA15C9BF-D55B-45EE-B241-580BC9651BF3.jpeg [ 118.17 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]
60184FF8-FC14-4533-A6DF-32D23A4240F7.jpeg
60184FF8-FC14-4533-A6DF-32D23A4240F7.jpeg [ 209.8 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]
A64ACA97-0086-43D2-8E12-81CB51EC1658.jpeg
A64ACA97-0086-43D2-8E12-81CB51EC1658.jpeg [ 246.57 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

KWA QRF mod 3 Airsoft
G&G SMC9 Airsoft
Amoeba Striker 1 Airsoft
KJW 1911 Airsoft

GX CS3 air compressor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:43 am 

Every now and then, maybe once a year. my wife says "you left the gun room door open - I counted and there's more there
than last time". I say "Oh? yeah, I guess there could be". I think she only says that to see what I'll say. No biggie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:52 am 

that first aid target box looks pretty good error. how about shooting in your garage or don,t you have enough room.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:14 am 

You could try a bale of straw but a couple of bags of top soil is cheap and silent dry sand by the bag is a winters choice.