Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:51 pm 

Wondering if anyone here has done it, I recently got a cnc machined sear for my b3 made out of stainless steel, so it can have a much stronger spring put into it.

I started thinking about using my 3d printer and foundry to cast some components to put in a correctly sized "barrel". The bolt/arrow would slide over the barrel, not inside. It would have a shroud on the outside to make it look less weird.

I'm just not sure if a springer, no matter how strong the spring, would be able to propel a bolt at any reasonable velocity. I'm not looking for a crazy high velocity, just around 300 feet per second.

If anyone has done it, or has any insight into this, please give me a reply. :D

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:12 pm 

I converted a B18 springer to shoot .50 cal gravel some years ago. It was a Optimus and I believe it achieved about 16 fpe. I used a smooth bore steel 0.5" ID steel pipe for the barrel, about 12" long and machined a new breach block for it. It was a student/research project to shoot gravel (abt 100 mph or 150 fps) at aircraft panels to measure FOD. In retrospect, we could have achieved far more efficient solution using a PCP or HPA setup. So, IMO your idea could be done, but you'd be better of using HPA platform rather than springer You could start with even a QB78 type gun.
You can get an estimate of velocity you could achieve by taking the FPE level of your B3 with a heavy spring and then with the weight of your intended projectile calculate the velocity - a ballistic app will do the cals for you, like chairgun pro, etc. You also have to find a way to chamber your projectile. I used a 3D printed plastic diabolo cup - that looked sort of like an egg cup, and the gravel was screened and sorted and glued to the cup. It worked well, didn't tumble and hit where we aimed it. Mind you the range was about a yard and we never tried longer ranges - outside the scope of the project.
If I can find the project report I can send you some details.
:drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:05 pm 

Might also want to just buy this airgun.

https://www.peaveymart.com/sporting-goo ... ailability

Process could be less expensive & simpler in the long run.

And these seem to be the type of arrow you were describing.

https://www.peaveymart.com/sporting-goo ... yCode=1153

BTW, I have shot the Air javelin. It certainty is a fun gun to shoot. A lot different than other airguns. On a hot day you can get more than 35 good shots from one 88 gm. CO2.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:05 am 

Why not design it utilizing the spring itself to propel the arrow. Would make more sense to me than to convert spring/piston into air pressure to push an arrow.
Btw 300 fps is pretty fast for an arrow. Maybe not by today's standards... What is an average recurve shooting at .. 200fps?

I build an arrow shooter using co2 and a crosman 1400 valve, one shot reservoir dump. Performance was quite underwhelming. Didn't do much more than try it once though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:24 pm 

My guess is that the swept volume of the compression chamber, while it results in quite high pressure behind a small pellet before it moves, would not produce enough pressure when allowed to expand to fill the barrel, and then the (ever increasing as it moves) volume inside the arrow.... I think underwhelming would be the right description....

Bob