Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:12 am 

In it's packaging...

Discovery VTR-3

3 - 12 X 40mm in a 30mm tube.

Somewhat dark look at the entire scope.
I'll get better pix in daylight.
The direct flash glares a bit too much here, and I was a bit lazy to fabricate a diffuser for it.
Wearing it's sunshade here.
The shade will stay on it, providing it will fit my nylon rifle case.
It also came with flip caps.
It's going on my first variant .177 Artemis (Dragonfly) pumper air rifle.

This is it's most important point here:
Internal parallax adjustable objective. (Side focus)
We'll see how honest the focus distance claims are at the next (soon) gravel pit session.

1/4 minute click stops.
Lock-down turrets have resettable zero, provided you have the allen key with you.

Power ring and flip cap detail.

It came with a side focus wheel which I will not be using- I can't get the rifle into it's case with the side wheel mounted.

I'll try and get a reticle pic up when I can get the right lighting conditions.

Diopter correction eye-piece in the Euro non-locking style...

Quite a bit of scope for the money there!
From Wes at Airgun Archery Fun.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:37 am 

I got a VTR 4-16x44 from Wes, a few months back. Have now mounted it on my Artemis M11 - I mentioned it in a recent post about my M11. I also found it to be an excellent scope with clear reticle and bright picture. He's sold out at present, but the parallax on it is 5 yds to infinity - very useful to us basement plinkers. One thing I have noticed is the parallax setting is a bit off at close ranges, I have measured my range accurately so I know it's 10 yards from trigger to target, yet the focus is at 8 yds with this scope. Other scopes are right around the 10 yd marking. If I had to get another scope right now, I'd go for the 3-12x40; What we as a community are short on are springer rated scopes - ones that will stand up to the double recoil. I know Wes has some very rugged scopes - like the behemoth YepYep mounted on his XS28, but overall the selection isn't very large. It's another advantage to PCP, pumpers, and CO2 over springers.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:10 pm 

Yep~ that 'behemoth' is heavy but works so well on my XS28 and I bought a second one for my CZ200 because it's also a FFP scope which works so well with my aiming eye~ ImageImageImage

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:12 am 

I really don't need a FFP scope~ at least not on an air rifle.
The incredible shrinking reticle I can do without.
Probably a good selling point for ranging though.

The VTR-3 is a 2nd focal plane scope, and it does not bother me in the least.
The reticle is a mil/slash style that I have not seen before.
It is very well defined once the ocular is set for my far sighted eyes.
The scope will be mounted tonight, I think.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:52 am 

There it is mounted on the Artemis pumper at bottom of image.
It is replacing an older Bushnell Legend 3-12 X 40 A/O- which is a bit on the weighty side in comparison.

I may have to change out the supplied rings for something a little narrower.
For test purposes, it'll probably be fine the way it is.
For hunting, a little more room for loading will probably help.
I don't hunt with the mags- they are a bit on the rattly side.

Similar problems with the earlier variant VT-1.
This is mounted on a .22, and loading is not as hard as it appears.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:05 am 

Yes, side focus is really more convenient than AO however in my case I usually not adjusting it often once setup done...

Not sure if you can find a side open loading tray mod for your rifles I got one for my CZ200 which is so great and I can even lower down my rings again...

If you use 6x or 8x up power, the thin lines on the FFP will become easy to see. In my case, my early aged eye has an issue on SFP scopes, if in outdoor farther targets it's fine, but when I shooting in the basement which is not as bright as outside and just less than 10 yards away to the target, it's very difficult to get both target and reticles sharp clear in the sight picture. When changed to FFP, problem just resolved perfectly~ and I mainly shooting small targets like bullseye on rested, so I use 10x power usually and don't have the thin reticles problem too... ImageImage

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:02 pm 

Almost the exact same loading system on the old Crosman 262.

I got out to the gravel pit Sunday, but it was far too windy for a final zero to be achieved.
Close though- I'm with-in 2" which is sort of amazing for the wind gusts.

The 8 yard marking on the side focus is actually 11 yards at 12 X, so not too far off the mark.
Turrets are very nice with decent click-stops.

Now to get final zero...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:28 pm 

I really like second focal plane scopes I have on my RFire and CFire gopher scopes. The "adjustable" distance with power, between the dots or lines, makes for almost unlimited
adjustability for point of impact ranges, such as at 20X, bottom line is zero'd at 500yards, but at 18X, the bottom line is zero'd at 520yards. With a little (lot) of work, a
comprehensive "chart" can be made for use of these variable ranges/powers. The MOA's are also nice, first or second focal plane, but with high powers (6-24X) in the FFP scopes,
seeing the reticle at lower powers is quite difficult now, depending on the background.