Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:15 pm 

Well, I can now confirm that this was a complete and utter waste of time and good plastic.
The "pellets" were pretty tight at the head (to be expected, 5.55 mm) but they loaded OK.
Speed of the gun used to test was 480 fps +- 2 fps with CPHP (13.4 gr), shot these plastic blobs all over the map, low of 408 fps and high of 540 fps. So... this is a not recommended thing to try.
:( :( :( :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:45 pm 

[emoji38] the STD is 140fps?! anyway I think you at least made a record~ [emoji38] [emoji38]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:07 pm 

Ah Duke, I'm sorry to read it was not worth the time.....Deep down, I think you knew before you started it?....You had fun though and at least you can say you tried it and others can learn from your experience.

I think if there was a way to increase the grain/weight of the pellet that might be of some help?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:14 pm 

At least you took the steps to physically see if it worked. Thanks for sharing your results with us using your time and resources! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:32 pm 

Well, you went out on a limb and it didn't work as well as hoped for.
That's what happens sometimes. I don't expect the Prometheus pellets shoot much better, but I do not know that.
Some questions comes to mind, were the diameters all precisely the same?
Is the plastic used up for the stress (not sure hard enough is the equation needed? - perhaps tough enough?) of being shot from a rifle, regardless of the velocity?
Is or was the end result too brittle?
Oh well, don't give up.
Maybe they need 2 BB's inside? Hmmmmmm.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:27 pm 

I suppose it was a useful exercise. I had given up in disgust, but Daryl raised some interesting questions, so I went to see what happened to the pellets in the pellet trap. Target was on card stock, backed by 2" duct seal. I started looking for them in the card stock which had lots of prior POI with lead pellets, I wasn't shooting for groups, just speed, so I didn't have a consistent POA, just shot into the trap. Well, I saw no evidence of plastic pellets... so I removed the card stock and started exploring the duct seal... still nothing! So where did they go? I heard impact so they hit something. But absolutely no sign of them in the trap, or evidence they hit the card stock. I did find one just in front of the trap on the ground, and one about 4 ft away from the trap, and another one back behind where I stood to shoot - so ricochet was powerful. None had the BB in place, 1 was whole, and the other 2 had the head chipped off. So, the material may be OK - and maybe not. Maybe there are PETG molecules floating around my basement if the rest of them vaporized in flight, anyhow I didn't see them, but there are lots of nooks they could have rolled into. They may also have flown wild, and hit my "boiler plate" (actually MDF) ballistic armour I have surrounding the trap just in case. Mrs Duke has her workshop in the room behind the pellet trap so I took precautions so wild pellets can't get through the drywall. That would explain the ricochets since I can't fathom how a pellet could ricochet off a duct seal/card target. It only makes sense that the pellets went wild and missed the trap completely. So, accuracy testing was also complete, and "not able to hit broad side of a barn" is what was demonstrated.

Attachments:
Shat 3D pellets.jpg
Shat 3D pellets.jpg [ 25.66 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:39 pm 

After all. I still think this is / was a fun project and experiment!

Just like the plinking fun, you don't need a single shot tray, high end glassea, one hole accuracy or 10 rings on the official target and measured at right at 10 yards..... Just have fun~

Edit... You sometimes need to be serious to have real fun. :)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:30 pm 

hmmm, the plastic broke apart and only the BB hit the target......I wonder if gluing the BB into the plastic socket?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:37 pm 

Tks for the run-down on your findings. Interesting the noses broken off, shows they likely hit point on, at least.
Possibly the back-ends were gyrating round the noses, not necessarily keyholing, but the base making circle around
& behind the nose. Possibly too long for the rate of twist in the barrel?
I fired one group out of my HW80, .177 with the H&H 15.74gr. Rabbit Magnum II's. They are VERY tight in the breech and
3 carefully aimed shots at 10 yards made a 3 1/2" group, while all of the other pellets I was shooting were going 1/4" to 1/2".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:26 pm 

Thank you for trying and sharing!