Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:06 pm 

. . . . that the last post in the Field Target section was made by Mac on Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:31 pm, so I figure that, having returned to the fold, it might be an idea if I put up an exploratory post and find out who's still around from the "old days" for nostalgia's sake.

I'm back into shooting and when I left, I was most solidly into field target. I have about a dozen of my own premium field targets, one Air Arms PCP target rifle, and two Weirauch springers that I have intentions of using in my own private course in different quarries, fields and so on when the weather turns and is suitable, and lookin' for local company and visitors and old friends to say hi.

I know Daryl is always onboard for this kind of thing and he lives up here and is a great friend . . . I think it's time we all started to get younger folks into the discipline, and other disciplines as well surrounding the field target cult. I ain't exactly the future lol.

Might announce and organize an informal shoot up here in Prince George and see what happens.

What think ye, and let's here from some of you guys, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:27 pm 

Hi Gordo.
There are a few newer posts in the FT section - Tim's was the most recent in the "sticky section" at the top of the list.

I am a long way from Prince George, so not likely to make it but we are 4 weeks plus 4 days from our first FT match here in Ontario (March 25 in Hamilton).

We have been able to bring a few younger shooters in but I would definitely like to see many more.

FT is a great activity and can be very inexpensive to get into and to participate. I have offered (and it is a standing offer) to provide a gun and everything a new shooter needs to come out and try FT shooting at one of our matches.

Rob27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:07 pm 

I think having a FT get together is always a good idea. The shooting part is great, but the getting together of friends or soon to be friends is at least as important. I hope you can get people to attend and post a couple of pics to share the experience. In Port Colborne we started out with 5 or 6 shooters for our two matches in our first season in 2005. It grew very quickly the next season and soon it was not unreasonable to expect 15 to 20+ shooters. The internet and forums like this one helped spread the news and lead to the growth of FT. We just need more people to do as you plan to do and organize a FT shooting event. Good luck with getting something going in Prince George.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:44 pm 

Sounds good to me, Gord. The air rifle guys at the R&G club have targets, but there was not a lot of interest.
Senior membership is $60.00 yr. They (5?) shoot RF & CF silhouette mostly & indoors air rifle silhouette in the winter
but there are some 10M shooters (Sunday Afternoons) and some 3 to 5 plinkers like me Wed. afternoon.
Years ago now, the air rifle guys tried to set up a FT course and asked if they could set it up on our black powder
trail, but on the up-side, where we don't shoot. We acknowledged this was fine, but after they did this, we had a
look and they mounted their targets on all of our knife and tomahawk blocks. LOL. While those targets were up, some
idiot-reject went down the trail with an AR (or some other .223 - empty cases found) and put holes in a bunch of our
mild steel black powder targets as well as one of the air rifle targets.
I think if there was some interest shown, they'd set up a new course of FT.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:05 pm 

Daryl - like the amateur orchestra I conducted, it'll have to be done independently, cause a ruckus with the status quo, be and amalgamated . . . . that's been my feeling about FT in PG. I think it's time to give it a shot. Even if it starts out with 2 or 3 people, at least we'll have some fun! It may have to be an independent club. Nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:20 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I never tried FT but I'm looking to get into it but it seems my airguns are either overpowered or underpowered. I have the FX Streamline in .22cal and even in the lowest power setting, it seems to be over the allowed FPE. I also have a .177 cal HW30, which is great but I'm not sure how it would fare in FT matches.
I'm currently looking to get the HW77/97 in .177 cal but there is no ETA from Germany since Dec 2021.

Air Arms HFT 500
FX Streamline laminate .22
Benjamin Discovery .22 (tuned)
Weihrauch HW30S .177
Weihrauch HW30 MK1 .177
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Crosman 22xx carbine (tuned)
Princess Auto Super Springer Deluxe ($34.99)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:32 pm 

CZ-Sniper wrote:
I'm currently looking to get the HW77/97 in .177 cal but there is no ETA from Germany since Dec 2021.

Not going to get a better deal than this one. If you are set on an HW, I guess waiting is the only option. The TX is an awesome rifle.
https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/air-arms ... t-lbs.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:27 pm 

Seems to me, 20FPE is OK now. That might only be in "some" disciplines, though. Mac would know.
My "high" powered HW 97's are both in the 14 to 15fpe range.
I'm not sure about the PCP rifles, though. I think the Dreamline in .25 is under the 20fpe if all 3
of the adjustments are down, regulator to 100 or lower, port on low and hammer pressure set lower.
A vel. of 550fps with a 26gr. pellet would only be 17 1/2fpe, or so. Of course, elevation to 55yards
or so would sort out the people who practice at a variety of ranges.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:48 pm 

Hi Gordo
Nice to see you are still shooting my friend.
Down here there is almost no interest in FT HFT or any airgun shooting. Since covid hit, it killed the sport literally. Too bad, I still shoot my airguns, and even my FT targets, I have about 15 of them. Love to set them up, and shoot them. Would love some people who have the same interest come and ahoot a bit.

All tye best my good friend.

Biagio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:01 pm 

Hello Biag! Yes, we had some grand times in Haney at the shoots.

I'm sorry to hear that the club seems to be terminally dormant. :( I owe much of my improvement and skills to you and the others down south.

Yeah, the past 4 years and its festivities seem to have put a damper on many things . . . . we'll see what we can whip up over the next couple of weeks. Once this cold snap here passes (it's -30 in PG and a few degrees colder 10 miles north of the city where I live 'cause it's almost 1200 feet higher), I'm picking up a couple of coffees and muffins and heading over to Daryl's for a brainstorming session.

In the meantime I'm tuning up my Weirauch springers and Air Arms PCP warrior and enjoying my somewhat mediocre at best current skills behind the trigger. Did manage to shoot a couple of 1/2" groups yesterday. Too many fliers . . . I seem to be shooting fliers high, with one or two shots ruining a tight little 3 group cluster below. Alas, 'tis definitiely me. I'm flinching up when I pull the trigger. Maybe too much conditioning with my old .300 Weatherby and .45-70 loaded to the nuts Marlin in the past. Recoil catches up to us all eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:20 pm 

NP Gord. I still catch myself flinching, no matter what I'm shooting,
whether air or pb's, antique types or modern. Need more shooting I
guess. Somewhat chilly today. :roll: there should be a deep frozen
blue emogi.
Too cold to go down Columbia Street to the beer store.