Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:33 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hello everyone,

I invested a little time today in taking a peek at the trigger assembly of my new Reximex RPA, to see what makes it tick and perhaps facilitate a tweak or two to performance. As Member Yep Yep mentioned in his review, as did I in mine, despite the PCP pistol's overall awesome performance, it lacks a match grade trigger. Accessing the trigger parts is pretty easy on this well designed airgun. After removing the HPA cylinder and two hex screws holding the grip, the latter can be detached, exposing a third countersunk hex screw which secures the machined aluminum trigger cover plate. The cover plate itself can then be carefully pried off (al little snug with the various stainless steel pins / pivots pressed in) to expose the inner workings of the trigger. The pins can be reinserted in such a way as to have the trigger remain fully functional with the cover plate off, unlike many another airgun where parts and springs go flying all over the place when one attempts to access the area.

As per attached photos, a very simple and robust trigger assembly is present in the Reximex RP/A. Only one of the various adjustment screws is accessible from the outside when the grip is attached, and it's essentially a first stage travel adjuster. The owner's manual refers to this only as a "trigger adjustment" -if it's cranked all the way down and then some, first stage function is lost of course, and second stage is then partially engaged -probably not the best / safest way to tweak things. On my pistol, I found the second stage pull force somewhat greater than I prefer, and while break point was predictable, a little gritty feeling and a smidgen inconsistent. I pulled out the intermediate and Sear bits, and observed the hook on each appeared unpolished and a rough surface from the casting. I polished these up and reinserted them, and at the same time installed a slightly weaker second stage spring. What appears to be an adjustment screw accessible from the outside is actually just a peg that holds the spring in place -best to leave this in place; if cranked out too far or completely removed, the spring under tension will have no support or alignment, and will slip sideways - then you will have no choice but to remove the trigger cover plate and fix it back in place. As for the sear itself, I've left it alone for now, but suppose it could be polished up to a certain degree, possibly enhancing trigger performance.

There is a threaded cap holding the hammer Spring, with a limited adjustment range -crank it down too far and you will limit the backwards travel of the hammer, and not be able to cock the gun. Although I haven't checked the velocity on my RPA since tweaking this, I suspect it may allow for some fine tuning of velocity. As Wes of AGAF mentioned in his post, swapping it out with a stiffer spring may be required to up velocity (remaining of course within legal limits). There's also a Hex adjustment screw for spring tension on the sear -can't say I noticed much difference tweaking this, any change derived from that seems quite subtle.

Upon reassembly and test, I was quite pleased to experience a noticeable improvement in trigger pull, smoothness and predictability. Still not match grade, but well worth the half hour investment to tweak up a little. Hope this will be of interest to other members wanting to improve the trigger performance of their Reximex RP and RPA PCP pistols.

Cheers and Happy Easter!

Avianmanor

Attachments:
IMG_6109.jpg
IMG_6109.jpg [ 153.8 KiB | Viewed 1119 times ]
IMG_6108.jpg
IMG_6108.jpg [ 93.71 KiB | Viewed 1119 times ]
IMG_6107.jpg
IMG_6107.jpg [ 320.91 KiB | Viewed 1119 times ]

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:47 pm 

Good info, and clear instructions; many a trigger benefit from a polish and lube.
The trigger sears and mechanism look well designed, so it should be a nice enough trigger and you made it nicer!

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:57 pm 

Hello Avianmanor,

Thank you for your info. Recently purchased a RP. Looking to duplicate your trigger work. Were did you get the replacement spings? Did you ever change out the hammer spring?

Take care,
K
Vancouver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:38 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hello K,

Thanks for your interest -I purchased an assortment of springs off Amazon.ca ( https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005J4 ... UTF8&psc=1 ) and just experimented from there.

Haven't got down to playing with the hammer spring yet -pistol shoots quite nice as is -I'm sure you won't be dissaapointed with an RPA.

Cheers!

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*