Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Accuracy in Field Target
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:18 pm 

I was going to post this in the Accuracy thread in the general section, but as I kept writing, I figured it fit better in the FT section.

The first part of my rifle testing is exactly like Todd describes in the Accuracy post in "General". The groups are away from the aimpoint so as not to eliminate the aimpoint.

After the best groups are attained using the pellet that proves the best, I then figure out what my best zero distance will be and set that up. I set up for a dead on hit of the small bullseye at my near and far zero.

After the gun is zeroed and I have my chart, I will adjust elevation for distance and focus for a clear picture, but I do not touch the windage in FT matches.

FT is more dynamic than most other shooting disciplines. The target distance is constantly changing, the elevation of the target changes and wind and weather conditions are literally changing in real time. Both eyes open helps in this regard.

So once you are confident in your rifle, the ability to physically hold the sights exactly where you want them and remain still is essential. If you can do that, then the computer between your ears tells you where to aim.

At big matches there are a great number of guns that have the accuracy necessary to win the match, but there are a handful of shooters that can place the crosshairs in the right spot (computer between the ears) and hold still in order to make the shot. That group tends to take the top spots regularly. The group changes over time as new shooters improve and older shooters decline.

The decline is inevitable, but the pace at which it happens can vary greatly. Staying young physically and mentally requires some hard work and those willing to do it, can shoot with some success, right into their eighties. A side benefit is, if you can shoot well in your eighties, your quality of life is probably quite good as well. Win, win, literally.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:46 pm 

Good thread, Mac. I've noticed a decline in my shooting abilities & so's my bro. He's turning 75 this week while I'm "only" 73. For us, it's mostly vision related.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:58 pm 

I find it harder to shoot accurately, as I am not as steady as I was even five years ago. So. I have to rely on timing more than I once did. The crosshairs move more, so the timing of the trigger release is crucial. I can have a day when it seems easy to get the timing and others where I am struggling to get the release right. I find I will shoot a 55+/60 one month and struggle to break 50 or fail to do so the next month.

I will turn 75 this July and head to the World match in Phoenix in November. The Veteran class is 60 and over, so I will be competing against youngsters. :lol: I hope to do well in the match, but absolutely know I will have a great time meeting up with old friends and making a bunch of new ones.

Between now and then, I have to work hard physically and mentally to keep any edge I have. Even if I was not competing, I would still work hard on my physical and mental health, just for the benefits of an active, healthy lifestyle. Like anything else, the work you put into life, determines what you get out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:53 pm 

Best of luck with those matches, Mac.
We've (my bro and I) just returned to the monthly ALR postal matches after not shooting from May through to October.
Taylor beat me by a few points in that one, so put on the match for Nov. I also did poorly in that one, scoring only 2 out of 3 needed targets.
A new match this month and we're going to shoot it tomorrow. Neither of us does well in the cold any more, either. LOL
Sucks getting old, but the alternative is not attractive, either. Today, neither one of us can adopt the Olympic style of standing shooting, using
a body rested elbow, against the ribs of hip. Just can't do it, any more, so we have to shoot, open armed, off the hands - ie: offhand
This was also a postal match and I'm shooting my .69 moose rifle. The target is 200yards, downrange. I think this was likely 8 or 9 years ago,
virtually a youngster. This rifle, actually kicks. No Springer actually kicks. Even the AEA .72 Zeus doesn't kick, it just jumps a wee bit is all.

Attachments:
aiming.jpg
aiming.jpg [ 269.22 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
aiming n shooting 140gr.jpg
aiming n shooting 140gr.jpg [ 232.43 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:13 pm 

Daryl; you have posted those pictures of that hard-kicking muzzle loader a few times and they make me smile every time!

You and your brother and Tim are shooting better in your 70's than I am today with about a 15 year advantage.

Well done guys!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:51 am 

A very good report Tim and one that should encourage our aging members not to give up shooting - where there is a will there is a way. I am 84 and I thank CAFTA for having an "open. division" which allows me to keep shooting with a bit of my own creativity to overcome my physical limitations. I also shoot 10M indoor at a German Club during the winter months and their rules allow senior shooters to use a gun rest. I could not keep shooting without this assistance.

Tim - good luck & best wishes at the World matches.

Daryl - you are absolutely right - getting old sucks! Who ever stated "old age is your golden years" didn't know what they were talking about.

Good shooting everyone & keep at it.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:43 pm 

Exactly.
The Golden Years are here at last.
The Golden Years can kiss my &^*.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:11 pm 

Keep shootin' :drinkers: