Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:15 am 

Hi,

My son is taking on the 10m air rifle practice, and as recommended by his club master, the Crosman Challenger is a good budget option. Also, a good starting point.

I don't know much about the rifle, nor the 10m sport. Then, I did some checking online, and found that there are really good ones, Olympic level ones, and those are very expensive.

Just need some advices and recommendations, whether the Challenger is good to start with? Or should I look for something else? As my kid just started, and I am not sure whether he would commit to this sport, I really don't want to spend $3k+ now to get a great piece like FWB 800.

Thanks a lot in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:32 am 

Disclaimer, I've never owned or shot the PCP/CO2 version, I do own the earlier CO2 only version.

Accurate enough for competition at that level. The pull back action, which is similiar to an AR, I find awkward. I much prefer the side levers that come standard these days. The stock sights are basic but adequate to get started. The trigger on the co2 only version works but nothing more. No idea about the newer version as previously stated but I wouldn't be optimistic. I have the impression they need more attention to orings and over all maintenance. The plastic stock is not great but does have enough adjustments to get a good basic fit. Fills to a low 2000 psi so hand pump possible but I'd still buy a compressor.

Is the club master recommending the Crosman Challenger for the sporter class? That would limit the choices and the Challenger is one of the better options. If not I'd be inclined to look at the MAT300 being in the same or even cheaper price point. I believe Wes from AirgunArcheryFun may be getting some in soon. I'm sure he would answer any questions you may have about it. If you know you will be going into the higher competative classes at a later date it would probably be better to buy something suitable for that task now. I'm biased to the FWB line. Any one of them. Even the older co2, ssp's, and side levers are great. Just not easy to find for sale.

Yeah not cheap. Never is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:59 am 

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2020/07 ... le-part-1/

Another interesting read wrote up by BB from Pyramyd~

Looks the recommendation from the program instructor picked a suitable rifle for the kids~

Edit...
Have no hands-on experience on the Challenger but above gave very fair comment too! And my 2 cents is you also need to see your budget And my experience on buying other guns told me always spend all your budget to get the best you can buy.

And If that's your first PCP, you also need to consider buying equipment like a hand pump or compressor to fill the air and also pellets... If the kid immerse into the sport, you will need quite some pellets for him to keep on practicing...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:56 am 

I'd look at the MAT300 first these days.
Or keep my eyes out for a used Anschutz etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:26 pm 

Thank you all for the advices.

Not sure if I am understanding it right, the Challenger PCP version, it's more than 500FPS? So, it's NOT for competition? Or, does it need to be modified?

Also, I tried to search online, and found very less places sell the competition air rifles, and even difficult to find the used ones. Which store / website should I check?

Again, thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:52 pm 

A Good competition rifle should do 600ish for best performance.

Not much above the rediculous Canadian airgun spec, but do need a PAL...

You asked a good question... So you actually need to look for a sub 500 non PAL competition rifle then...

Any idea from the instructor? If you do bring home the gun to practice in home, surebthe instructor has the licence and can supervise the kids to shoot PAL rated rifles.... So you can use the club gun or have to buy your own?

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:13 am 

YepYep wrote:
A Good competition rifle should do 600ish for best performance.

Not much above the rediculous Canadian airgun spec, but do need a PAL...

You asked a good question... So you actually need to look for a sub 500 non PAL competition rifle then...

Any idea from the instructor? If you do bring home the gun to practice in home, surebthe instructor has the licence and can supervise the kids to shoot PAL rated rifles.... So you can use the club gun or have to buy your own?

I checked with the club, and it turns out the Challenger my son used was actually a CO2 Challenger (CH2000). I was a bit surprised. Then, I contacted Crosman, and they told me the PCP version was above 500fps, and PAL needed. So, the PCP version is NOT suitable for competition.

I was quite surprised to learn that the club was using the CO2 rifles. Now, I think I need to look for a different rifle. My budget is about $1500, hopefully within $2k including tax. The club guy also mentioned a brand name Hamerli (or Hammerli?).

Just curious, where can I find used rifles, such as Anschutz or FWB?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:08 am 

grantmac wrote:
I'd look at the MAT300 first these days.
Or keep my eyes out for a used Anschutz etc.

Which website I can check for the used ones? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:22 am 

AlfredPNY wrote:
Thank you all for the advices.

Not sure if I am understanding it right, the Challenger PCP version, it's more than 500FPS? So, it's NOT for competition? Or, does it need to be modified?

in 10M air rifle there is no FPS restriction. Sporter class (10m for youths) has a restriction on which make and model you can buy so no worrying about fps there. You can use any version of the challenger for any of these disciplines without modification.

AlfredPNY wrote:
Also, I tried to search online, and found very less places sell the competition air rifles, and even difficult to find the used ones. Which store / website should I check?

Again, thanks a lot.

That is our struggle in Canada. There are a few places to contact but the price point entry is always high. D&L has some used, even a challenger. Cibles (targets.ca), sometimes they have used FWB's. Nordic Marksman sell Anschutz, a sub 500 fps model at that but being an Anschutz it's pricey. There is Tesro selling, well Tesro's. There is AirgunArcheryFun, as I mentioned before contact Wes and ask about the MAT300, which would be my choice over the challenger. There a few places that still have the CZ200t, an excellent youth rifle. I won't list those as many sell it.

Good luck in your search

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:17 am 

Isn't the MAT300 is still incoming and not arrived yet? I remember Wes mentioned it before but didn't see it in his web pages yet...

http://www.snowpeaksports.com/series/details/124.html

Wes's website. Just send him an email to ask anything you want to know... A great gentleman to deal with~

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/

I have a CZ200 too. Which is a great entry PCP IMO. However it's not the CZ200 T (Target), So it comes with scope not Match type diopter sights. You can get that setup done tho... And, PAL. Maybe that could be a problem for the moment for you to buy.

Our forum store has good price CZ200.
https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/produc ... cts_id=210

And co2 is not that bad. Before we have PCP, co2 guns ruled the Olympics matches too~ [emoji38]

~Target~

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:18 am 

One of Wes's latest updates was asking to contact him if you had interest in the MAT300. He had gotten a sample earlier this year and it tested favorable. If they had a version in 177 that was 20 fpe I would've been right on that. I don't have a need for another sub 16fpe 177.

Nothing wrong with co2 and a lot of value to the price they can be aquired at. Sure there are a lot of reasons for going HPA over co2 but accuracy isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:39 am 

I know nothing of these things, but there is a Crosman Challenger 84 CO2 for sale used on D&L website.
https://dlairgun.com/collections/used-r ... led-by-d-l

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum