Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:40 pm 

One word - Avoid
It's a beautiful gun, but it seems the quality is not up to snuff.
I only got off 4 shots, I chronied the last 2 and it was 360 fps (what Pyramid also reported). But it broke on shot 5. We will see what Bullseye North can do for me but at this point, I could not recommend this gun and I apologize to those who followed me down this road, and I hope sincerely you have better luck!

Attachments:
Oktoberfest bust 2.jpg
Oktoberfest bust 2.jpg [ 216.88 KiB | Viewed 587 times ]
Oktoberfest.jpg
Oktoberfest.jpg [ 472.49 KiB | Viewed 587 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:07 pm 

A quick search and I can conclude a flaw in the design? This picture was posted one year ago...

This break looks to be in the exact same spot? This should have been dealt with by now?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:11 pm 

The cocking lever broke, not the weld.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:19 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The cocking lever broke, not the weld.

Yes, what wood welder meant was break is in the same "location" = "spot", and there is no weld in the spot, just a reduced section. Over on GTA it's clear that many of this failure have occurred, so this is why Croshair54 is concerned his will also break soon after opening it.
I doubt I will get any warranty service for this gun, so I'm looking into sourcing or making a replacement or welding and heat treating the OEM broken part. Maybe I'll get it going again. The first 4 shots were kinda fun.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:31 pm 

Well, a week later and I do have it going again. Using good old common sense and and a process of trial and error I made a 3D printed Nylon part that works and seems to be up to the job. It's telling that the OEM steel part fractured after 4 shots, and my 3D printed Nylon part has endured 100+ shots now and working well. I'm planning to make a steel part on a waterjet at work when time and favours allow it but for now, the Nylon is holding up, and I can print another one if needed. While I was at the printer, I also made a scope rail and mounted a red dot to help me and my old eyes shoot this thing, and since I love bling, I also made an "air stripper" for it (does noting useful, in fact it's a PITA because I have to remove it to load the BBs). Chronys at 360 fps with Lead BB and 410 fps with steel. And it's a LOT of fun to shoot.

Attachments:
k_AJ-Y-9.jpg
k_AJ-Y-9.jpg [ 164.57 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]
YaGKL2uw.jpg
YaGKL2uw.jpg [ 406.83 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]
9MiBxGmX.jpg
9MiBxGmX.jpg [ 181.59 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:44 pm 

Great to hear you got it going again Duke.....Nice rifle with a major design flaw (over tempered steel too hard) and a pair of skilled hands and it will give years of service.

Congrats! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:07 pm 

WoodWelder wrote:
Great to hear you got it going again Duke.....Nice rifle with a major design flaw
Congrats! :drinkers:

Thanks, I got it as a project, but didn't bargain on the design flaw. Once I got over being Royally pissed off I was OK- and by the way I e-mailed Diana directly after not getting any response from BLS on the warranty. I have not heard back from either of them. Like I said, don't break anything you buy from Bullseye they will not help you if things go south.- mind you parts for most Dianas are available from various places so you won't be dead in the water, but this is not so for orphan guns like the Oktoberfest . I found one parts diagram, has pictures but no itemized list of part numbers, just an exploded view (maybe that is telling too).

WoodWelder wrote:
(over tempered steel too hard) and a pair of skilled hands and it will give years of service.

There is something wrong with the steel/processing but it wasn't overly hard - Rockwell C around 20. I think it's a stamped part, and crappy steel combined with crappy stamping and too narrow a cross section likely results in cracks during manufacture. The failures that have been documented (that I have read) have happened almost immediately on using it.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:22 pm 

Nice work Dukemeister!
Can you post a pic of the "fix". I'm curious to see what you made....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:44 pm 

I didn't take a picture of the final version, but here is a snapshot of the first version, and a picture of the 3D model I went with.

Attachments:
Arm.png
Arm.png [ 67.82 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]
Printed arm.jpg
Printed arm.jpg [ 356.42 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:22 pm 

Nice!
Where's the "Like" option.....