Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:28 pm 

During the COVID forced break, I did a little thinking and a little writing and came up with two short articles. The first one here, is on shooting position. I hpe you enjoy it. I will post the second one next week.

The CoVid Clinics – Part 1 – Sitting Position

A Guide to Discovery

The COVID 19 pandemic has curtailed match shooting, but for many of us, has also increased the amount of available time to pursue activities at home. One of the main concerns for Field Target (FT) shooters is the sitting position. I work on mine constantly and tweak it when something I come upon makes the crosshairs stay a little steadier on my aim point.

I have seen a good number of top shooters over the years, people that have won many matches, including big matches. One thing that strikes me is that no two of them sit exactly the same way for the shots that make up at least 80% of the match. There are similarities and some basics that seem to hold true for every successful shooter, but the form each person adopts as their optimum position reflects the fact that no two people are the same. Ultimately, each individual will come up with their winning combination.

There are some basics that need to be in place. A shooter must have the strength and flexibility that allows them to sit in a completely relaxed position. The weight of your gun should pass down through your bones to the ground, without your muscles holding things in place. It seems simple enough on the surface, but anyone who has worked on this position knows it is much easier said than done. You do not need a huge amount of strength, but a good set of core muscles certainly helps. When you have a good core, then the flexibility to position your body in a way that is completely relaxed, but solid, is what you are after. Strength and flexibility do not just happen, so that is something that has to be worked on and developed. These attributes make for a good base to develop a steady sitting position, but also will serve you well in everyday life. If the gun is being held in position using muscular effort, there will be movement.

Are you going to develop a very wide sitting position, a medium width position, a very compact position, a high position, a low position and on and on? The only way to find out is to try each one and variations on each one as well. Are you going to rest the gun on your arm or are you going to rest the gun on your knee? Are you going to put a pad on your arm or knee, or put the gun directly on your arm or knee? The combinations are many and top shooters have tried most of them to end up where they are.

In the World Field Target Federation (WFTF) style of shooting there are three points of support for your position. You sit on a bum bag and your two feet make up the other two points. Easy, right? Cars sit on four tires and pretty much all perform the same, right? Hardly! The configuration of your other parts on those points of support will make the difference You will even have a bum bag you think helps and boots that aid in stability. From the myriad of accessories, you will find the ones that help and eliminate the ones that do not help or may even have a negative impact. Gloves, shooting jackets, shooting pants, knee pads, glasses, different bum bag fillers, levels, barrel or stock weights, hats and the list goes on.

For me, the basics are an accurate, well set up gun-scope combination, the gun’s chosen pellets, bum bag, shooting jacket, pants with non-slip material on the knees, fingerless shooting glove and a hat for sunny days. With these basics, I try to shoot as often as I can, always trying to achieve that relaxed position that results in the crosshairs staying very still. I do try slight modifications in position from time to time and try to just change one very small aspect at a time. If the slight change helps, I will adopt it and shoot until it becomes automatic. The smaller the change, you more sure you will be that, that one small change made the difference. There are times when a larger change will help, such as changing from shooting over your arm to shooting off your knee or vice versa. You can be lucky, blessed or whatever you call it and find that perfect position very quickly. If you are like most of us, however, it will be a process that never really ends. I have been at it for over 20 years and I continually search for improvement.

Over the years I have watched great shooters and have adopted some of their habits. Learn from wherever you can and ask questions when you are unsure or curious. Field target shooters are always willing to share the secrets of their success. Work at it and before you know it, you will be answering questions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:55 pm 

Very helpful & informative Tim - I only wish I had discovered this sport 30 years ago LOL. At my current age, required body flexibility is impossible to meet WFTF requirements, but thankfully we have an Open Division that allows me to keep shooting and enjoying the comradeships.

Just keep shooting everyone.

Bill