Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:58 pm 

8 bits. Appears to me, this one might be a better buy. Might even be the same tool,
but with a case and 10 bits, as posted by the OP.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/168463/w ... 10-bit-set

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:00 pm 

Normk wrote:
WoodWelder wrote:
Those that use torque wrenches and torque screwdrivers, how do you know your unit is in spec, even from new? Do you ever take it in to get it checked for calibration? I have heard many stories over the years of folks doing more damage than good with torque drivers.

The main thing to know about tightening anything is to use the proper sized bit for the screw head.

Testing them is a basic physics exercise.

We had a torque meter at a college where I used to teach automobile mechanics. An interesting exercise at journeyman upgrading courses was to bring out the torque meter at coffee time and invite people to "tighten fasteners by feel", most weren't even close. Nobody wants to hear that because it only applies to other people. :lol:

Basic physics exercise you say......Like hanging a kettlebell off the end of a handle and the torque wrench clamped in a vise? :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-a-Torque-Wrench

Like I said, I use torque wrenches when needed......Over 1,000,000 miles and never had my wheels fall off. LOL

You and I will agree to disagree on this one.....And I would love to test your game with my choice of wrenches (I grab any length I choose) and at what torque spec you ask for. Obviously, I won't be dead on but, I will be in spec....I excelled in math and physics. :wink:

Quote:
Nobody wants to hear that because it only applies to other people.
I like this quote! LOL

:drinkers: :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:01 am 

I have used my wheeler fat driver quite often, usually when consistency in torque is needed. When multiple screws are required to work together, that's where consistency is important. Each screw needs to bear the same load, or, as a worst case scenario, they will fail one after another.

With this in mind, absolutely accuracy is secondary. Torque driver, even the cheap one, is more consistent than my best trained fingers.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:31 am 

Like Mac I use a wheeler electronic torque screw driver. Displays torque in Inch pounds and beeps to let you know you are close to spec you set. Then sound stays constancy on when you are at spec. works well enough , But easy to go over spec. I have often wondered if the machinal torque ones that disengage and slip when spec is reached would be better? I think it is a good thing to have one. Think Mine was 85 bucks came with case and about 6 bits. My advice would be to try both types before you buy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:20 pm 

tangolima wrote:
I have used my wheeler fat driver quite often, usually when consistency in torque is needed. When multiple screws are required to work together, that's where consistency is important. Each screw needs to bear the same load, or, as a worst case scenario, they will fail one after another.

With this in mind, absolutely accuracy is secondary. Torque driver, even the cheap one, is more consistent than my best trained fingers.

-TL

do you know if it comes with bits that will fit external screws on hw97? which size allen does it come with?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:18 pm 

I have been a home handyman and tinkerer for many years but never anything with much precision. I have stripped and broken many screws and bolts on many different projects over the years.
I only ever had 1 rifle with a scope on it and that has been mounted and not moved in over 40 years. I started getting (back) into airguns and suddenly have several guns with scopes and most scopes and mounts proscribe a specific torque. As a few others in this thread have mentioned, I always wondered if I was tightening too much or not enough. I spoke to a few people who scoffed at the idea of a torque wrench, but I got one for my own piece of mind.
I never have that worry now when mounting a scope - one less thing to worry about.
I found my wrench on sale at Princess Auto. https://www.princessauto.com/en/1-4-in- ... 0008595365
I got mine on a major sale, I think that it was around $40. It did not come with any bits or case but PA sells all the bits you need!
I like the mechanical feature that releases when you hit the set torque.
Interesting to see the range of opinions above - from Don't need one - to Always use one....
Different strokes for different folks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:28 pm 

Shooter519 wrote:
tangolima wrote:

-TL

do you know if it comes with bits that will fit external screws on hw97? which size allen does it come with?
Get this set too

https://www.harborfreight.com/security- ... =go_social

-TL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:11 pm 

My Wheeler wrench is mechanical; I avoid electronic tools if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:40 pm 

i ended up getting the wheeler fat wrench as others have suggested. went with the mechanical one over the digital one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:19 pm 

For my Walnut stock TX200 .22 HC in FAC power:

Scope ring screws: 15 in-lbs
Scope ring dovetail screws: 35 in-lbs

Front stock screws: 12 in-lbs
Rear trigger guard: 20 in-lbs

and last but definitely NOT least the Front trigger guard screw: I have tried 8 in-lbs, 10 in-lbs, 12 in-lbs, each of which has failed miserably to maintain accuracy and also loosens off within a few shots. I finally reached 15 in-lbs and the rifle finally started to shoot very accurately. BUT, even at 15 in-lbs, it comes loose after about 15 shots and has to be re-tightened. So, I have ordered another Felo torque screwdriver head so that I can try some values from between 15 to 18 in-lbs. I have also ordered an OEM 12 fpe spring to try out. I can't stand a rifle that won't shoot extremely accurately and consistently. I will eventually figure out what the .22 HC likes.

I also have a TX200 MKIII beech stock in .177 with a 12 fpe Vortek kit and it is a laser, with consistent 0.5 inch or smaller 10 shot groups at 50 yards in calm conditions with 10.3gr JSB Exact pellets at ~725fps. The front trigger guard screw is torqued to 12 in-lbs on it and it is holding perfectly. The rest of the screws are torqued to the same values as the .22 HC. It is an absolute joy to shoot.

Bottom line, like pellets, torque values which may work on one rifle, may not work on another, and the torque values which work may require accuracy as well. I don't want to damage the stock by overtightening.

Rick.

Shooter519 wrote:
here is what i gathered from a few sources:

scope ring screws: 16 inch pounds

scope base screws: 30 inch pounds

hw97k front stock screws: 22.1 inch pounds

hw97k rear trigger guard screw: 22.1 inch pounds

hw97k front trigger guard screw: 44.3 inch pounds

just need to decide on which screwdriver now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:59 am 

Ooops, forgot to say I use a Felo torque handle which goes up to about 13 in-lbs. I have the next size up on order so that I can set the range from 12 to 20 in-lbs accurately..

Rick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:39 pm 

I have a fat wrench. Bullseye North had them on special for $69 a couple weeks ago. It works pretty well. I use it for tightening my action screws. It works well but needs to be reset for each screw you tighten. Its actually a pretty decent driver. I have another Wheeler set as well they are very good bits.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:21 pm 

I have been using a Wheeler tourque screwdriver and tool kit from Amazon
The screwdriver kit is now $140.00
Or you can buy a complete kit with all the machined hardened bits that help
from stripping the heads on any gun screws.
I find they have bits to fit any of the guns I repair or tune .
Marlin 30/30 to even my left handed Hawkins 50 cal muzzelloader.
it has fit all my springers so far.

hope this helps

Attachments:
wheeler1.jpg
wheeler1.jpg [ 356.15 KiB | Viewed 106 times ]