Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:58 pm 

If I want to test the FPS/MPS of my generic Crosman F11 Nitro Piston (495 FPS limit), would $50 - $80 be enough? A few on Amazon naturally, but if I'm not getting accuracy, I don't want to waste money. I have a feeling the mods I made have decreased the FPS & I want to be sure it's shooting near the max of 495 FPS. I'd like one that measures above that amount since once I have my PAL, I'll be upgrading to something with some stank on it (800fps+). Is the Chronograph's brand relevant?

Are .22 cal pellets easier to get accurate readings on than .177? Does the pellet weight or what it's made of factor in?

Thanks, all!

- James

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:15 pm 

The least expensive chronograph I have, was the Caldwell, a little more than your limit, but is a good one. IIRC it was around $150.00
but it handles all velocities up to about 5,000fps.
These are the ones WesB sells at https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/chronographs/
Some of the guys here, have some of the cheaper models & like them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The least expensive chronograph I have, was the Caldwell, a little more than your limit, but is a good one. IIRC it was around $150.00
but it handles all velocities up to about 5,000fps.
These are the ones WesB sells at https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/chronographs/
Some of the guys here, have some of the cheaper models & like them.

Hi Daryl, thank you!

- James

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:32 pm 

My first Ballistic Chronograph was a cheap Amazon model, it worked fine.https://www.amazon.ca/Chronograph-Airsoft-Tester-Measurement-Supported/dp/B0BW3MGVVY/ref=sr_1_39?crid=2YHF385LZ7I96&keywords=ballistic+chronograph&qid=1707769531&sprefix=ballistic%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-39
They are just a stop watch the measures the time between 2 broken light beams. The distance between the lights is a constant so the speed calc is very simple. As Daryl stated if Wes at Airgun Archery Fun is selling it, then it will work for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:14 pm 

McRobert wrote:
My first Ballistic Chronograph was a cheap Amazon model, it worked fine.https://www.amazon.ca/Chronograph-Airsoft-Tester-Measurement-Supported/dp/B0BW3MGVVY/ref=sr_1_39?crid=2YHF385LZ7I96&keywords=ballistic+chronograph&qid=1707769531&sprefix=ballistic%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-39
They are just a stop watch the measures the time between 2 broken light beams. The distance between the lights is a constant so the speed calc is very simple. As Daryl stated if Wes at Airgun Archery Fun is selling it, then it will work for you.

Thanks, McRobert! I got a really cheap chrono & it does not work well. It seems accurate when it does work, but I have to restart it for every shot. No errors, no reading. Took forever to get my shim experiment readings. in the Mods forum channel.

I can hold it up & drop a coin thru it (got 9m/s, lol!), so I suspected it could be slight dieseling or air from the muzzle causing this. It wouldn't work unless I was just about 5 inches from the entrance of the first of 2 'light curtains', but instructions suggested 30cm (~1ft).

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BXC5LLR2?psc ... ct_details

I tried aiming higher & lower through the light curtains, but it's ...honestly, it's crap. Saw an older version working great on some Australian channel so I haven't given up on it yet. Testing is indoors (in my apartment). I'm rather disappointed with Crosman, TBH.

The federal regulations are strict @ 500fps max, but a proper functioning gas ram & quality pellets should result (so I'm told) in pretty consistent tests, within 10-15 fps. With no mods at all, I get 450 FPS or less, sometimes 428, with the 14.3 gr Crosman 'Premier' hollow points. I paid for 495 fps, I should expect a consistent 475. I needed a 4mm shim just to get a consistent 460 & maxed out the FPS at 474. With 17gr hunting pellets, I haven't even hit 400fps, unless shimmed, which maxed out at 424 fps! That's really pathetic & had I known about this 'take it or leave it' performance they get away with retail, I'd have returned it the next day.

I ordered some 9.8gr pellets to see what I can get that way - but I doubt the accuracy of such a light pellet in a .22. If/when I get the BT9M22 gas ram I ordered, things should improve. I have a feeling, though, that the improved gas ram will likely bring this toy into the legal 495 fps velocity I paid for. I do wonder if Crosman are responsible for ensuring < 500 fps for a specific type/weight of pellet - because a 9.8gr pellet should max out at the max speeds. There has to be a point where Crosman can't be held to account. If it's possible to get a 5gr pellet @ 22 cal, it'd be over 500fps already.

I remain respectful of the legality of < 500 FPS, but the amount of effort required to even approach that velocity seems silly. Cool project & all, but I'm feeling a bit swindled is all. Crosman's feeding me pablum with that BT5M22 sissy-piston & to top it off, their Canadian site is impossibly slow. Maybe it needs a new gas ram...oops, I mean, 'No Stock'. When I get my PAL, I'm considering the Benjamin XL Trail or whatever it's called, but the site is so incredibly slow & so little is in stock, I'll likely go with another brand. Crosman seems to have no real interest in the Canadian market.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:39 am 

Must produce under 500fps ANY under 4.2FPE, as I understand this ruling.
Velocity becomes critical with .22 and larger because at 501fps all .22 and larger calibre guns will be well over 4,2fpe
even if there was an 8gr. pellet available.
My PP700SA produces 408fps with a 21.3gr. Pellet. That's almost 7.9fpe. It will shoot those into 1" at 20yards, so I'm good with that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:34 pm 

oops - should have proof read it. Must produce under 500fps AND under 4.2fpe(5.69joules)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:58 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Must produce under 500fps ANY under 4.2FPE, as I understand this ruling.
Velocity becomes critical with .22 and larger because at 501fps all .22 and larger calibre guns will be well over 4,2fpe
even if there was an 8gr. pellet available.
My PP700SA produces 408fps with a 21.3gr. Pellet. That's almost 7.9fpe. It will shoot those into 1" at 20yards, so I'm good with that.

Thanks, Daryl! I'm still waiting for the gun safety course to be scheduled, so I'm just being impatient. I'm in no position to argue with the feds about these limits, but at 53yrs old & squeaky clean record & no mental health issues, etc, I suppose I feel a bit entitled. Especially when the rules are so petty. "I'm 53 & all I want is 600 FPS" would be on my protest sign. I suppose the feds have to aim (zing!) for the lowest common denominator, which is "angry 18yr old buys this, what's the fastest FPS he should be able to achieve". I think I just defined the purpose of the PAL....

I want to share the data I gathered & gains/mistakes along the way to from 441 FPS - 465 FPS with a 14.3gr pellet. It's just tinkering to me. Ultimately, I'd like to detail my experience from 465 FPS to > 499FPS if all my mods succeed. I'll be mindful of what's kosher on the forum if I did happen to improve on 499. This stuff is cool - and you guys have been super helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:13 pm 

Ahhh, yeah - 600 eh? then it'll be 100 footitis, you know. Next, it'll be 700fps you want, then 800, 900, 1,000fps - THEN I'll be happy HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DROOOOOOOL
I'm that way my boat. I now want the 14' Stryker, the 12' is too short.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:08 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Ahhh, yeah - 600 eh? then it'll be 100 footitis, you know. Next, it'll be 700fps you want, then 800, 900, 1,000fps - THEN I'll be happy HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DROOOOOOOL
I'm that way my boat. I now want the 14' Stryker, the 12' is too short.

Haha, I think it was Danny Aiello who said it best in Hudson Hawk - "I never smoked until I saw my first non-smoking sign. Don't play on the grass? Let's play soccer!". The gov't telling me it costs $150 to register my car every year tells me something's for my own good - well, we'll just see about that!