Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:07 am 

Daryl wrote:
How they actually fit in the barrel, will make a difference in velocity and 2 close-weight pellets could easily swap positions.
I've never heard of PCP only pellets. I shoot the same pellets in my PCP's as I shoot in my springers & visa-vis.
As you shoot with a springer, the metal heats up, which will pre-heat the air to a higher temp than cooler air & a cool system. Warmer air contains less oxygen molecules than cold air
thus warmer air has less actual 'usable' volume.
Compress less volume, get lower results. Same with internal combustion engines. Cooler air, more power. Hotter air, less power.
Sounds that make sense.... If so, looks gas ram vs steel spring, it gains goods about less recoil, quieter, easier cocking...etc but sacrificed the consistency??

Or say we do need some special lazier air to fill into it to make it works better?

Or say, actually the system could heat up faster to a certain temperature and stay there.....

I never used gas rams and think it looks too complicated to me vs spring... I love my springers tho~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:28 am 

[quote="AnotherSlob"]

I put 'PCP Only' pellets into my airgun (accidentally bought them & shot about 30 of them without reading that) but they're 14.66gr, so they're not too light. Something about the coating, I'm guessing, makes them faster than my 14.3gr Crosman 'Premier' hollow points. Link is worksafe, a Canadian Amazon link: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0077YDE5A?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Yep, agreed to Daryl. I didn't see any "PCP only" pellets either... If comparing pellets and slugs, slugs are more PCP friendlier than pellets and need higher muzzle Speed to launch...

Maybe you referred to the it needs 18fpe power on the spec?!

And for buying H&N pellets I always buy from Nikkonos' eBay Store...

https://www.ebay.ca/str/olympicmarksmanequipment

And for other high quality pellets, like JSB, I buy from our forum store (ships from Toronto). You might be want to give the JSB RS a try...

https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/produc ... ucts_id=45

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:47 am 

Not branded as "PCP Only" but there are definitely pellets that are not recommended for springers.
I decided to try some lead free pellets and I recall that the website specifically said that they were not intended for springers. I assume that the very light weight makes them like dry firing. Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:30 am 

Daryl, H&N rate the pellets by gun type and power. If you closely look at the pellets, the low power rated pellets have a much thinner skirt wall than the high power. I am only guessing at this point, as a thin skirt wall will still expand against the barrel at low power as thick wall skirt may not. I just start using 16j and less pellets in a med power break barrel and found an improvement over the one that are higher rated even though they appear to be the same when placed beside each.

Shootem if you gottem

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:03 pm 

I just took for granted that EVERYONE knew not to shoot alloy pellets in springers as shooting them would be hard on the springs. They are harder than lead and likely will not
expand much from a low powered gun although less harmful to one of those, than a high powered springer.
Some pellets have thicker skirts than others but, until you shoot them, you will not know if your rifle likes them or not. There are no hard and fast rules, except for as my first sentence.
Some sub 8gr. match pellets are meant for pistols, but again, some rifles like them.
Pellet skirts are virtually ALL larger in diameter than the groove diameter of the gun. As the pellet enters the bore, it is swaged(drawn) down in size, filling the grooves over 'some'
length of the pellet's skirt. Too, the head rides on the lands, or is slightly cut by the rifling, depending on it's fit.
My springers get tested with ALL pellets I buy & I mostly use the ones that are the most accurate.
My "high powered" .177 HW97 shoots MOST pellets in that size, into 1/2" or less at 20yards. The flat nose match pellets shoot the largest groups,
however I did have a FWB M150 rifle that shot match pellets into 1/4" groups at 25 yards. It drove those 8 gr. RWS10R's at 600fps.