Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Sunshade or not?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm 

I have a few scopes that came with sunshades. On some rifles specially fixed barrel CO2 and PCP types they just sit on the scope make it look longer, add an oz or so of weight and are potentially useful shooting in the sun. But what about at other times? apart from the negligible weight any disadvantage to leaving them on the scope?

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

Post subject: Re: Sunshade or not?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 am 

If you have room on the gun, why not leave the sunshade on? Will be very useful when the high sun = high heat arrives, and with a better glass can help with mirage as well. Also if you have access to matching flashkill...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:09 am 

I actually removed all my sun shades or honey comb shades... It will be useful outside but I mainly use my guns in basement so no need of them...

I use them all the time when I shoot with my camera.... :)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:12 am 

But the question is still, what disadvantage? YepYep why did you remove them?
I think I want to keep them on, so I don't lose them or mix up which one goes to which scope.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:12 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I think I want to keep them on, so I don't lose them or mix up which one goes to which scope.

This is one reason you should keep them on... I actually couldn't tell which shade in my drawer belongs to wiitch scope now... If I need to put them on, need to try them on to find the matches...

I have some reasons not using them... Like the ones on the camera lens, I think the shades mainly provide a "shade" (of course... [emoji38] ) to block the lights from the side... So your eye behind the scope can focus on target better and see it clearer...

I mainly shoot indoors, so I usually won't have the annoying light or reflections from the other directions...

And a shade is always blocking some light... So without the shade, my sight picture can be brighter.

And I have len covers on some of my scopes... So I can only choose to use cover or shade... And I choose cover As they can keep dust out when I don't use the gun...

Then for the honey comb insert style shade, they block more lights than the tube style shades...

And for some break barrels, usually with the tube style shade, you couldn't cock the rifle as it will poke out and blocking the way you break open the barrel...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:20 pm 

Disadvantage, can reduce amount of light entering scope during low light situations

Advantage, reduces light entering scope when light is intense.

I leave mine on as I shoot outside and a lot of light is in my face due to my range location.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:22 pm 

Since I'm not shooting in low light/dark conditions, I just leave them on. Shooting into the sun, makes sun shades mandatory.
Reminds me, I have to check and see if that Immersive scope I have on the Condor, came with a sun shade.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:42 pm 

I shoot pretty well exclusively outdoor, so I like the sunshade. I also try to leave my gun set up unchanged as much as possible. I get use to it the way it is and feel comfortable with it. Even small changes can affect your shooting.

I am presently trying to buy a sunshade for my Leupold Competition 45mm so I can get use to it over the season and be ready for the worlds in Phoenix in November. These sunshades must be really rare since I have been trying to find one for over a year. If I put it in want ads, all I get are scammers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:07 pm 

Mac wrote:
I shoot pretty well exclusively outdoor, so I like the sunshade. I also try to leave my gun set up unchanged as much as possible. I get use to it the way it is and feel comfortable with it. Even small changes can affect your shooting.

I am presently trying to buy a sunshade for my Leupold Competition 45mm so I can get use to it over the season and be ready for the worlds in Phoenix in November. These sunshades must be really rare since I have been trying to find one for over a year. If I put it in want ads, all I get are scammers.

Sunshade is not difficult to print, have you considered 3D printing one or even a few? I had never heard of the hexagon/killFLASH sunshade until I read bigHUN and YepYep's response and now I found oodles of them on Thingiverse, I 'm giving one a try now. Interesting how you can't see the grid at all, first one was a fail. (can see the grid in photo) version 2 printing now.
I have printed a few flip up scope covers as well. I'll leave the shades in place.
Thanks everyone for comments.

Attachments:
scope shade covers.jpg
scope shade covers.jpg [ 330.66 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:10 pm 

I shoot at 3 ranges 1 in Canada and to in southern states. All 3 face south I try to leave them on or I will forget at home.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:58 pm 

Robert, heading down into the States with an air rifle (non-firearm) would allow such transport unmolested(no form 6 requirement), I assume.
Or - are they sub 500fps models?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:12 pm 

I have never had a problem getting air pistols or rifles into the States. It is coming back where you have to show you owned the firearm before you left Canada and did not buy it in the US. BSF 407 or the green card as most refer to it. You could also have a receipt that would work, but I find the green card is instantly recognized and makes things quicker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:54 pm 

We used to go into the Canadian Customs to get a declaration from them before heading over to the US side, worked upon return.
Has this changed? Green Card?
The last time going over and coming back, was a 2 week trip. At Trail, B.C. crossing "Buy anything down there?" "Yes - 4 new tires, food and fuel." Thank you, carry on!
The food and fuel was cheap, the tires cost the same as up here, once exchange was figured.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:14 pm 

What the green card is, is a declaration of ownership. So, it has not really changed, it is just more formal. What is nice about the card (BSF 407) is that it never expires, so you do not have to get a declaration each time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:44 pm 

That would be good. I expect it's serial #'rd.