Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:04 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
Greys, blacks, browns, all genetically identical - they're variations on the Eastern Grey squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis, which was introduced in two incidents decades apart by men who thought they'd look cute. Being extremely territorial animals, they have forced any remaining native Douglas squirrels out of urban environments,

But [eastern squirrels] dig into rooftops, eat wiring insulation (lots of old woven cloth/shellac wire insulation around here still), and endanger homes with fire. They pee on everything, potentially spreading at least 5 human-transmissible diseases.
Yes, the Eastern Squirrel is one of the reasons I started airgunning. There are some here on the N Shore. Yes, they got into an attic here and I had to repair the wiring, replace pissy insulation, remove skeleton, and finish the soffit. And they compete with local Dougie squirrels, which are little and sort of sweet.

I would rarely see Dougies but had Eastern ones in my yard every day. Then this year, after 20+ years here, Dougie Squirrels are everywhere. I was in Squamish and saw lots there too. They’re noisy and very curious, often rush me in the driveway. I wonder why the population increased, and what will happen next year.

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:07 pm 

Here in the middle of the Provence(N/S/E/W), there are no blacks and greys, only the little red ones, which, btw, are(or were) on the fur bearing animal list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:08 pm 

Just answering the OP.

My original experience with airguns was as a young boy, perhaps 13 or 14 years of age. My stepdad gave me a break barrel pellet rifle and I used it until it broke. Couldn't hit a barn door and it's not something one would call a passion at all.

I got back into airguns exactly 1 year ago (I'm in my 40s) and it was to introduce my stepson that would turn 16 last May to BB guns.

I went to replicaairguns.ca and purchased a Steel Storm, Glock 19, Daisy 495, KWC something, some C02 capsules and BBs.

Once his birthday came around he hated all of it. Hates "guns" and can't see that they aren't real .. and hasn't fired a single shot with his guns. They live in a suitcase under his bed.

Myself on the other hand, really enjoyed my Glock BB gun and eventually fell into pellet guns. The 2240 of course, spring and SSP pistols, and finally bit the bullet and jumped into PCP pistols.

Fast forward exactly one year, and I'm casting my own 9mm airgun ammo (will post details about that soon), I own a few rifles, PCP compressor, laser training aids, shooting glasses, optics, I design and 3D print my own accessories, and I love target shooting and tinkering with guns.... BY MYSELF, no thanks to the boy. lol.

So bottom line: My desire to do something nice for someone that didn't appreciate it is what got me back into airguns. It's a hobby and passion now.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:48 pm 

LOL~ interesting story~

And proved the sun will find its place to shine~ [emoji38]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:42 pm 

The sun shines on every dog's arse at least once. eh?

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:48 pm 

One xmax I got a red rider BB gun I was in heaven I was 10
Introduced to powder burners on the farm as a kid 12 years old a old single shot .22 It was my duty to kill farm rats and pasture rats .
A got my first lesson on gun savvy I turn around and barrel was aim at my dad gun was not loaded BUTTTT , and that cost me a month of no BB or.22 guns
As you can see I was a abused pick on kid by my farther LOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:20 pm 

When I was 8 yrs. old, my brother bought a Slavia 630? air rifle with his paper route money. I shot the heck out of that rifle over the next 4 years and Dad replaced the leather
seal twice. It was a low powered rifle, but I shot a lot or squirrels, sparrows, starlings, grackles and chickadees with it. One of my school chums loaned me his RWS .177
springer for a summer in 1966, I think and MAN, was that one ever powerful (I thought). It had a lot more juice than my bro's Slavia.
My uncle, a Cpl. in the RCMP taught us safe gun handling and all the rules. When I turned 12, he gave me an Ace .22 single shot for my birthday. My bro, got a Marlin rifle single
shot in .22 WRM the same Christmas. He had just turned 14.
Bought my next air gun, a 1322 in around 1983 or 84. I used it to keep the feral cats off our motorcycles at the jail while working night shift outside on "Prowl". Few(maybe 5) years
ago I gave it to a CAF member who lived back East, NB, I think.
Bought my first air rifle in around 2008, I'd guess.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:29 pm 

Couldn't have been 1966 - had to have been 1959 or 1960. Accuracy in time really doesn't matter, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:32 am 

The fact that you can train with airguns at home is what made them appealing to me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:28 pm 

JessiWan wrote:
I am just wondering how everyone came to enjoy this hobby. I guess a lot of people got it from their fathers or maybe older brothers.

My father bought me a Crossman Phantom .22 when I was a young kid (I believe 10ish). Taught me proper gun safety and etiquette. I still have it. Great air rifle.