Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which gun should I get?
Crosman Pumpmaster 760 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Stick with the APX NXG 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:45 pm 

Hello all. I have just recently got into airguns as a hobby in ontario. I picked up a umarex ruger 10/22 airgun on sale for 75% off at 50 CAD, which was pretty much a steal. I've always been interested in firearms to some degree, but they're really restricted in canada and pretty dangerous. Airguns seem like a good middle ground, being less dangerous and easier to acquire, so I'll settle for them. That being said, I've looking into getting another airgun. The ruger is very well built and nice, but it uses CO2, which is a pain to have to restock and reload. I'm looking for either a pumper or a break barrel for my next airgun. I just picked an umarex "NXG APX" from my local surplus store, but I will likely return it for a crosman pumpmaster 760. Does anyone have experience/advice regarding the pumpmaster, APX, or ruger air rifle? Should I return the APX for the pumpmaster?

Attachments:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 152.58 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:32 am 

You can't go wrong with a break barrel. It may take some time to be a good shot as the hold is a different. It has only been since Christmas that I have come full circle on break barrels. Watch the Flyers, Canadian tire, Peavey Mart, Princess auto. My local Canadian tire had some Crosmans on clearance for $129 on the weekend.

Break barrels seem to last forever, with vary little maintenance.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:03 pm 

Welcome to the forum.
I have a question on a subject you have raised: How are firearms dangerous?
Now, some people are dangerous & should not possess firearms but firearms are inanimate tools.
They can do no harm by themselves. I takes a person to make anything dangerous.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:24 pm 

Hey OP!

From what I've heard online, the Pump master 760 can be a bit flimsy at times with its build quality.

My suggestion: Lookup some spring break barrel airguns. I grew up with the Crossman Phantom .22, it was my first "gun" my dad bought me to teach me about proper gun safety and usage. It is a great pellet rifle.

As far as Ruger air guns go, I have no personal experience with them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:53 am 

Daryl wrote:
Welcome to the forum.
I have a question on a subject you have raised: How are firearms dangerous?
Now, some people are dangerous & should not possess firearms but firearms are inanimate tools.
They can do no harm by themselves. I takes a person to make anything dangerous.

Yes, both are dangerous in careless or the wrong hands but not on their own.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm 

If you are looking for a cheap all year round rifle, get a gas ram or entry level PCP. CO2 cannot be used in cold (not below 15 degree census)--a Co2 to PCP conversion may cost more than the gun itself--cheapest way is get a refillable CO2 soda pressure can + Aliexpress self regulator bottle cap but even that will cost $60+. I do have a CO2 pistol but ended up using in door only for best performance.

A solid gas ram or entry level PCP about $200 will ensure you can play all year round. For PCP you can get a Beeman 79/2079 without spending too much and have a very nice PCP --I really love the 2079 stock. Check Wes from Airgunarcheryfun he had those in stock and you can even ask him to do some tune for you.

And of course pumper are OK as well but 760 is smooth bore, you would rather get M4-177 for non-PAL, or Crosman 1000/Daisy880/Umarex NXG Multi-Pump/Crosman 362/Seneca Dragon fly-which is the best pumper so far in world (these 5 are PAL required)

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:10 pm 

Shoot what you have until you get a clear direction of your interest area. Then buy the premier gun of your choice in that category.

I own both a Weirauch 97 and a Weirauch 98. I don't own any other springer, and they're both competition
guns. And they're both expensive. Until I developed a clear interest in field target and bench shooting, I'd spent
six times their accumulated value on various junk that promised Nirvana to the person who purchased them.

What a load of horse turds - I don't know most of the modern guns now because I was out of shooting for about eight years, but when I bought them there was a half dozen or so premium guns in those categories, and I chose what I liked the best after handling them all.

I also bought them used, from fellow competitors at meets. Tried and true. And both competition winners. The owners moved on to different guns and I was the lucky recipient. Paid top dollar for them. Almost new prices. Both my guns had won competitions so I could use no excuses.

By the way, both my Weirauchs shoot 10 shots into 1/4" at 20 yards when I do my part. About the same as my AA 410 PCP which I also have used in competition. It takes a real top shooter with a regulated PCP to wring out much difference. Pellet choice is far more telling on group size than method of projectile propelling.

Cheers.

Follow this advice as best as you can, and you'll come out ahead both as a shooter and financially.