Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:44 pm 

Just discovered that my licence will be expiring in 2025. I'll be renewing online and just wanted to find out the digital photo size requirements. The RCMP site states that the photo must be 45 mm wide and 57 mm high. I'm thinking that these dimensions only apply to applicants who are sending in a physical photo. If I was to take a photo of myself with a digital camera and upload it to my laptop in order to attach it to the online application, would this be okay or do I need to resize the pic? I took a few clear portrait positioned pics and they're all jpeg files with a size above 200KB. There are no shadows or glare on the photos and the background is white. I'm wondering if this will suffice?

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:49 am 

If I can recall correctly the requirements are very clearly described - cm x cm, diagonal pixels, file format, and a min/max file size, the head position and the background light.
I did the picture myself as well and upload it initially, for renewal they just re used it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:14 pm 

As for me I renewed mine couple month's ago and tried via internet, but they refused the picture, had to go to a pharmacist for a passport picture ($26) crap... :cry:

Got it renewed anyway... 8)

SilentMan... :drinkers:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:59 pm 

After doing some deep research into this, I discovered the answer to my question. The 45mm X 57mm dimension applies to the actual photo printed. In my case, the digital photo for the renewal must be 280X370 pixels minimum. Here is the info I got off the following site..
https://passport-photo.online/en-ca/can ... ense-photo

Digital photo for PAL renewal application

Is your PAL nearing its expiry date? To renew the license, you’ll need to provide the authorities with a new picture. Since the renewal is available through an online application form, you’ll need to upload a digital photo that meets the following requirements:

Be 280x370 pixels at minimum
Be taken in a 4:3 aspect ratio (portrait mode)
Be uploaded in a JPG or JPEG format
The file size should be between 200 KB and 6 MB

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:05 pm 

280x370 pixels is just very very low.... I am afraid I could tell eyes to the nose from it or not~ [emoji38]

A picture of just 280x370 pixels could be about 60kb something... If the max size is about 6mb, a size of 2800x3700 won't be too large....

Edit.....

If that's just the minimal pixels requirements that could be fine as you won't go lower than that~ just watch out the 3:4 and the max file size should be all right~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:27 pm 

YepYep wrote:
280x370 pixels is just very very low.... I am afraid I could tell eyes to the nose from it or not~ [emoji38]

A picture of just 280x370 pixels could be about 60kb something... If the max size is about 6mb, a size of 2800x3700 won't be too large....

Edit.....

If that's just the minimal pixels requirements that could be fine as you won't go lower than that~ just watch out the 3:4 and the max file size should be all right~

The JPEG files or photos I uploaded were all above 200KB, but less than 6MB. Pixels were 1704 X 2272. All followed the portrait style 4:3 format. I will submit the best one in the upcoming new year. Still have awhile to wait. Should be okay, but if they reject it, I'll just get some Passport photos done.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:31 pm 

Yeah~ Going to do mine too as I remember mine will be expired in next year summer....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:11 pm 

I went in to London Drugs and their camera department was set up to take the proper size photograph.
They gave me 2 of them. I don't remember how much - not much cost, however- maybe $10.00?????
My renewal should be here by the 22nd. May. I applied for and they received the renewal application in mid December.
I guess it's time to call Terry Hamilton, BC's CFO about it. I want to take an air rifle to the lake for plinking and need to
do that legally. I don't want to have to leave it in the trailer after my birthday.(74th)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:25 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I went in to London Drugs and their camera department was set up to take the proper size photograph.
They gave me 2 of them. I don't remember how much - not much cost, however- maybe $10.00?????
My renewal should be here by the 22nd. May. I applied for and they received the renewal application in mid December.
I guess it's time to call Terry Hamilton, BC's CFO about it. I want to take an air rifle to the lake for plinking and need to
do that legally. I don't want to have to leave it in the trailer after my birthday.(74th)

$10.00 is a very good price. I remember going to Wal-mart to get Passport Photos done on my last renewal and the cost for the pair was under $20.00. I'm sure the price has gone up now.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm 

I just called the Federal phone number ending 4001 and my renewal application has been in at the Provincial
office for just over 3 months, with no concerns or requests for more information submitted to the Fed. office.
It is not a waiting game, but I may call the CFO's office in BC to see how it's going.
Couldn't find an active phone number for the Provincial office, or at least one that worked, so sent an e-mail.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:15 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I just called the Federal phone number ending 4001 and my renewal application has been in at the Provincial
office for just over 3 months, with no concerns or requests for more information submitted to the Fed. office.
It is not a waiting game, but I may call the CFO's office in BC to see how it's going.
Couldn't find an active phone number for the Provincial office, or at least one that worked, so sent an e-mail.

I was very fortunate to wait less than 3 months to receive the new card in the mail on my last renewal. Hopefully you'll get yours soon.

Megiddo65