Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Knockdown target specs.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:25 am 

By nature I'm analyzing a bit much but am pondering making some targets. Is there a specific pound force / psi it takes to activate the knockdown arm?

Are they just ready to fall after being hit with a cooked pea out of a slingshot or does it take a frozen one?

Just wondering how easy to knock down they're supposed to be or if there is an official way of certifying them. I'm assuming somebody has to check. Couldn't imagine one out of 10 targets takes the force of a .22 slug to fall.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:03 am 

Tokin247 wrote:
Is there a specific pound force / psi it takes to activate the knockdown arm?

Yes, there is.
The official WFTF target tester that we use is the equivalent of 5.5 foot pounds. This is the maximum force that must drop the target - most targets will drop with significantly less than this. I often test targets by shooting them with a P17 pistol that is putting out about 3.1 FPE.
If you were tuning targets for a sub-500 gun you would want them to trip with a lighter strike since even at 35 yards you will likely only have about 2 FPE of energy left. Even less if you stretch the yardage out more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:40 pm 

If you venture into this rabbit hole you will soon discover that what seems simple - hit the paddle, make the target fall - can be excruciatingly frustrating.
It is fairly simple to make a mechanism that works when the paddle is struck perfectly, but then a hit on the edge of the paddle can cause the paddle to twist and jam and not drop. Or a hit to the face plate in a certain spot might make the target shake in such a way that it triggers the paddle, or the target is too sensitive to being mounted less than absolutely level.....
Many small details that will add up to many prototypes and lots of tuning.
I have one target on my bench right now that was working well - except that if you struck the upper left of the face plate it would drop every time. I think that I have it corrected - it worked well for half a dozen tests - lets see how it does in the real world!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 pm 

Just to add some information for you.

https://bsamson.github.io/WFTF-Target-Checker/

https://www.maestro-design.co.uk/produc ... t-checker/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 am 

Rob27 wrote:
If you venture into this rabbit hole you will soon discover that what seems simple - hit the paddle, make the target fall - can be excruciatingly frustrating.
It is fairly simple to make a mechanism that works when the paddle is struck perfectly, but then a hit on the edge of the paddle can cause the paddle to twist and jam and not drop. Or a hit to the face plate in a certain spot might make the target shake in such a way that it triggers the paddle, or the target is too sensitive to being mounted less than absolutely level.....
Many small details that will add up to many prototypes and lots of tuning.
I have one target on my bench right now that was working well - except that if you struck the upper left of the face plate it would drop every time. I think that I have it corrected - it worked well for half a dozen tests - lets see how it does in the real world!
I'm gunna stick to my other rabbit hole projects [emoji1787]. I'll take a lesson from your experience on this one. Variables my friend, I hate em lol. Glad to hear you ventures down that path, technical skills FTW.

Mac that's a great tool, leave it to the community right? Just a matter if it's been adopted by WFTF officially.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:55 pm 

The target checker that Brian Samson created has been accepted as the official WFTF checker.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:09 pm 

Well there it is then I'm solved lol [emoji1360]

J.