Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: CO2 valve transfer port.
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:48 pm 

Does increasing the bore size of a CO2 valve transfer port increase fps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:40 pm 
Supporting Members

If you mean enlarging the diameter of the TP..........then yes, it does increase the FPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:37 pm 

In some cases, yes, in others, no. If the port matches the rest of the system, there is no gain in speed. In other words, you are limited by the entire diameter of the air/gas passage, not just the transfer port. If the passage is small, opening the TP will accomplish nothing.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:20 pm 
Supporting Members

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:31 pm 

It can be enlarged though as in Bio's pages, very simply done. 1/4" Tube But thats the biggest you can basically go is 1/4". You'll need to buy a Dremel 1/4" Router Bit-$10.cnd, or a Flat End Mill $20.cnd. And use either Poly or Aluminum or Brass from the Hobby Store. I just set-up a system with Bulk like this, and it werks great in a Rifle form. (Crosman)... :)

Krazy Mike... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:41 pm 

Well I wonder if enlarging the TP of a Crosman 622 valve would boost fps? Yes I know the valves are hard to get but I am just wondering if it possible to get and gains by enlarging that tiny TP on that 622 valve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:36 pm 

Aside from its difficulty to obtain, there is a lot more limiting the power out of that rifle than just the size of the TP. There is a very small pre-chamber, a very small area around the valve body that the liquid/gas can flow, difficulty replacing the hammer spring with one more powerful, and a valve body that is prone to breakage even without doing any mods. It is a very nice operating rifle as it stands and the last weakness listed in the valve body can be addressed either as an after the fact fix or a before it happens preventative measure (pins added in addition to the single cartridge tube fixing screw). A precision drill press or a milling machine would give you the best results in trying to open the TP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:55 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Something that Airman said to me pertaining to the 622 and a couple other CR rifles. Remove the barrel and cut two small o-ring grooves on either side of the exhaust hole. With a couple of o-rings installed all the pressure is forced down the barrel, none escapes. Just haven't had the time to fire the barrel into my lathe and make this happen yet. :oops: Just too busy with my work at this time of year. And it is my work that pays for my Toys :roll: Just have too figure out another legal way of paying for them. :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:17 pm 

That is a very good mod and there are more Co2 guns that will benifit from that change than you can imagine. However, the leak that will occur around the valve stem will still draw down the power available. There are a number of PCP and Co2 valve and transfer designs that use "O" rings (or what ever design is needed) to seal every single point that can cause a drop in available propellent. A similar mod is one that Mac1 Airguns uses in the LD pistol to get the maximum amount of gas from the valve to the pellet. Everywhere there is a leak, you have a drop in performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:05 am 

I used a #750 square cut seal in place of the original one and it's a bit thicker which in turn made it a tighter fit. Alittle wiggling and it's in place. Theres afew little things that can be done to these types of AG's to make them shoot better according to TCoopers write up on the #2100/2200 etc these types of AG's. Theres different mods that can be done to any Crosman Design's in there AG's...

Mike... :wink: