Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:45 pm 

A friend of mine who has a proper licence is holding a (now prohibited) rifle that I purchased as a (edit out-non.. did not know what I was talking about...lol) restricted rifle some years ago.
Its an old Ishpor L1A1 (FN Type). I have no use for a prohibited rifle and do not posses a licence to own it.
Lately I have been thinking of modifying it to a co2 air rifle. Dose anyone know how one goes about making this into a non-firearm and having it de-classified so the mod could begin?
Did anyone here chop/weld or otherwise mutilate their firearms to de-classify them when the laws were changed?

Last edited by slayair on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:01 pm 

The FN has been a restricted firearm in Canada for decades but anyhow it has to be deactivated which will render it totally useless for any project other than a paperweight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:06 pm 

The Ishpor L1A1 was not (edit- it was restricted...I was confused when I wrote this) a restricted weapon until bill C68 took effect (It became prohibited....or something like that...lol). I have checked with CFC and they were very helpfull. They faxed me the info right away. It seems like you are correct about the paper weight idea, as they ask for a solid steel pin to be welded into the barrel and the action modified, then welded shut. However, there is some room for variation of the technique "as long as it accomplishes the same goals".
Unless the CFC wants to shut down the bb gun idea completely (most likley), it would seem to me a steel tube of 177 cal welded into the barrel and the barrel welded to the reciever would accomplish the goal of rendering it unable to chamber and fire amunition. Perhaps a couple of holes drilled through the chamber area too. The action could be removed and the reciever modified so as not to accept a replacement, or possibly even closed with weld. Most bb guns don't require an open bolt.
This idea will probably get filed into the "round file" anyway.... sigh!

Last edited by slayair on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:09 pm 

I had two Indian FN's and they were restricted...this was about 1994-95.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 pm 

Turns out you are right... the L1A1 was a restricted rife, it became a prohibited weapon when bill C68 took effect. (I will edit the above posts to show I was befuddled!) I also had a genuine H&K G3 that was converted to semi auto. It was not a restricted weapon. Oh...the good ol' days!

I've got a new idea for this conversion. Could I scrap the lower receiver and all parts that make it a weapon, then use the remaining unrestricted parts (stocks, gas tube, carry handle etc.) to dress up an air rifle?

Last edited by slayair on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:59 pm 

Yeah..the G3's were no problem but I always thought FN's from all nations were restricted. I wonder what happened to all those G3's...there were loads of them in the country!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:01 pm 

I knew/Thought that was you :roll: Kool Man, good 'ole remarks to not a big deal questions. Right on Saigon...

Krazy Mike... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:13 pm 

???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:20 pm 

Not you Airgunfun, sorry... :lol:

Mike... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:13 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

i googled it and when they said the places it was used,they forgot a few conflicts with the SAS, in former Aden a british colony then,On the jebel ashqab from 64-67 .in the mountans of dhofar,during operation storm 1970 -77. some people say i know to much about history

:)