Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

I was just wondering if someone has ever tried making a delrin piston for a springer. I'm sure there would be problems but it would be interesting.

Maybe the outside could be out of delrin and the inside part (the trigger catch) could be metal. dunno...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:33 pm 
Site Moderator

I think delrin would be too light. A piston needs some weight for momentum.
Some tuners make delrin "buttons" for pistons. The piston is drilled with shallow hollows and these small buttons are glued into the holes. The piston floats on the buttons rather than metal-to-metal (piston-to-cylinder).

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:37 pm 
Admin-2-IC

yes, I could imagine that the piston made out of delrin and the stem made out of metal that would work. Don't need a very strong spring to operate to give high power ..... sounds good but delrin cannot tolerate acidic conditions long term, I guess just got to be careful what grease to use. How about crystalline or another one is delrin glass filled ?

Post subject: Delrin Piston
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:42 pm 

Sniper,
Yes, Delrin acetal comes in a glass filled version: Delrin 570 grade. But I think a better bet would be one of the low friction grades like Delrin 500CL or Delrin AF. The latter is filled with Teflon fiber and is available in rod stock for machining.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:00 pm 
Admin-2-IC

ah good info Fred, I didn't know that it's actually available in rod stock that would make it even easier to do some experiment in small quantity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:18 pm 
Admin-2-IC

TCooper wrote:
I think delrin would be too light. A piston needs some weight for momentum.
Some tuners make delrin "buttons" for pistons. The piston is drilled with shallow hollows and these small buttons are glued into the holes. The piston floats on the buttons rather than metal-to-metal (piston-to-cylinder).

Todd

Hi Todd,
I was just thinking why would piston needs some weight momentum since the piston momentum going forward push by the spring is kinetic energy momentum, if we can reduce that which mean we don't need as a strong spring since spring is rated on how much does it need to push that piston to produce the air compression ......?

Delrin buttons for pistons that's interesting, I can imgine that would work to reduce friction.