Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:53 pm 

how long did it take to break in your quest and what kind of pellets work best it? Muchos gracias

Hey, don't hate. It releases negative energy, which is bad for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:29 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

I had mine since the 30th of setembre and 400 some shots
And i don't consider mine broke in yet or i am not broke in to the gun yet
I use Copperhead Pointed & Wadcutter
Mine does not very good with scope, i use the original sight.
This gun is very hold sensitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:48 pm 

it took around 1000 shots, but i didnt really count exctly how many, but if yours takes more or less dont worry, it will break in. i use copperhead pointed, i dont know if any work better, but these work exellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:25 pm 

What do you mean, hold sensitive?

Hey, don't hate. It releases negative energy, which is bad for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:41 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

ABshooter wrote:

It means you have to hold that rifle the exact same way all the time.
Check out this link it will explain it better then i can:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/SpringRecoil.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/11/ ... iston.html

http://www.beeman.com/inacc.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:16 pm 

On a springer with clean good tube and synthetic seal I see no such term as 'break in' applying to this gun.
The spring may take a set but the gun will not improve any from what it does now.
Breakin would apply to leather seals and compression tubes with rough finish. The Quest has neither and is good to go from the first shot as I see it.
Love my Quest :)
Walter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:52 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
On a springer with clean good tube and synthetic seal I see no such term as 'break in' applying to this gun.
The spring may take a set but the gun will not improve any from what it does now.
Breakin would apply to leather seals and compression tubes with rough finish. The Quest has neither and is good to go from the first shot as I see it.
Walter...

well how come i saw a much better improvment in accruacy and sound after a period of use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:54 pm 

under500fps wrote:
ABshooter wrote:

It means you have to hold that rifle the exact same way all the time.
Check out this link it will explain it better then i can:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ispellan/SpringRecoil.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/11/ ... iston.html

http://www.beeman.com/inacc.htm

i dont find it to be hold sensitive.... when you think of it, the gun is the same as all other springers, so i dont think it would be more or less of anything. But if a gun was really light, i could see it as being hold sensative

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:32 pm 

I don't see your reasoning about leather piston seals or rough compression tubes needing "break in". If a comp tube is rough from the start, it will stay that way unless you fix it since a leather or synthetic piston seal doesn't have in any way the ability to smooth out a poorly finished metal surface. Metal on metal parts, like spring to piston or guide, tigger parts, or linkages will "wear in" to each other and hopefully become smoother in opperation with time. As will a soft synthetic or leather piston seal eventually size itself down with use and friction and move more freely and efficiently within the chamber.
I don't consider myself to be an expert of any type, I just love owning and shooting airguns. I do on the other hand have the experience of shooting, tuning, and seeing what my guns do as they "wear in" from a new, or newly tuned state. And from my experience, an airgun has a break in period. Depending on the attention to detail during manufacture or amount or type of lubricants used a particular airgun(pnuematic or spring piston)will take a certain amount of time and use to settle in and be as smooth in opperation as it can be, with or without tuning or modifacation. :wink:

Mulby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:51 pm 

Okay men, maybe I missed explaining myself.
I have my Quest doing 13 fpe and it has done that as soon as I put it together and now say 1500 shots later it is doing the exact same fpe.
To my way of thinking it will never get better and if it gets worse something is needing attention/lube.
So if you fellas get an improvement later that is great.
Some speak of break in with hopes of way better performance once all the parts start to like each other more. It won't happen when stuff is performing at all it can do from shot one. Mine did.
Walter....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:13 am 

link_dc wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:
Walter...

well how come i saw a much better improvment in accruacy and sound after a period of use?

linc
all bets are off if you are oiling into the chamber. Yours will be dieseling until that clears up and that is NOT break in. These guns should be clean and dry in front of the piston seal. No lube in chamber!!!!!
You mentioned that you oil in the other Quest post.
Walter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:20 am 

Voltar1 wrote:
link_dc wrote:
Voltar1 wrote:
Walter...

linc
all bets are off if you are oiling into the chamber. Yours will be dieseling until that clears up and that is NOT break in. These guns should be clean and dry in front of the piston seal. No lube in chamber!!!!!
You mentioned that you oil in the other Quest post.
Walter...

well you are suppose to oil it once in a while, and i ioled it after 1000 shots, because the manual said you should, i saw improvment before that.