Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm 

I just checked the status of my PAL application and it has been approved! I'm just waiting for them to send me the card and then I have some purchases to make.

I'm pumped about Turkey hunting and in the market for a good shotgun as soon as my PAL arrives. I've done some research and I've pretty much decided to purchase a Remington 870 pump action. Has anyone here had any experience with that shotgun (good or bad)???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:51 pm 

870 is a great gun. If you have a choice, buy a used wingmaster before buying a new express....the wingmaster are far superior. (and I'm not just saying that because I have one for sale)
Also, don't get pulled into the "I have to have a turkey choke" syndrome...you dont. A full choke shooting #2 lead will work perfectly.
And just to qualify that....and I don't mean to brag....but I have run 2 for 2 for 5...Two birds (limit) on the first two days of the season for the last 5 years. In fact, the last two seasons I have guided for birds. I actually took my last three toms with a bow.

Look for a 26 or 28" barrel, then if the time comes when you want to hunt deer or something else, you can buy replacement barrels in whatever configuration you'd like both new and used. They are extremely easy to swap (one big threaded cap and 2 minutes)

Congrats on your PAL!

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:44 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I might well want to talk to you about that Wingmaster that you have for sale. I'll be watching the mailbox every day now waiting for my PAL to arrive. I was amazed, I checked the status today, exactly 29 days after they received the application and it's already been processed and the license issued. I expected them to take longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:47 pm 

Ummm...you know you don't actually have to have the card in hand right?

The # is enough to buy and sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:11 pm 

Wrong Way wrote:
Ummm...you know you don't actually have to have the card in hand right?

The # is enough to buy and sell.

Oh really? I don't have the number yet either though....all they show on the CFC website is the application number and the date it was received.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:19 pm 

If you call them (1-800-731-4000) and ask them for your #, they'll ask you a million questions to confirm your identity then give it to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:55 pm 

Congratulations Mantis. Not sure why it feels so good to get a licence these days. Maybe it's just nice to feel responsible and trusted. By the government for once, as well as by the ones who signed your application :-) It's a fun sport.....enjoy. Beats the heck out of bowling 8)

Clyde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:33 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Clyde wrote:
Congratulations Mantis. Not sure why it feels so good to get a licence these days. Maybe it's just nice to feel responsible and trusted these days. By the government for once, as well as by the ones who signed your application :-) It's a fun sport.....enjoy. Beats the heck out of bowling 8)

Clyde

........... LOL ........... funny but absolutely true ......

---------

Well congratulation Mantis, perhaps to see you at my club .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:43 pm 

Congratulations there Mantis for getting it, thats great. A pump type shot gun is great for hunting Water Fowel. I owned a Higgins Pump at one time, and it was a good SG for what it was. Bought it used though. That deal Wrongway's got is a good deal, personally I would go for it if I was still into that kinda shooting. But I like the Airguns now are what I'm into. :wink:

Krazy Mike... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:35 pm 

Thanks guys. I've already picked out a nice .22 semi-automatic and I'm planning on picking up two or three bricks (500 rounds each) of .22 ammo from Lebaron and hitting the range as soon as my license comes in. It's going to make for an interesting Saturday! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:04 pm 

What .22 are you going to get? I shoot a bolt, a lever and a REALLY old Winchester thats chambered for .22 Winchester Auto. Thinking about getting a 10/22, but then saw one of these things...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype_id=025

Nice in the photo...totally distracting when you see them in the flesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:37 pm 

I was looking at one of those at LeBaron. I've pretty much decided on a Ruger 10/22 with a synthetic stock. I was also looking at a Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:47 am 

Congrats Mantis,
I am still waiting for my PAL to be approved.
I am going with this little semi from Marlin-
http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinest ... 0013030418

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:05 am 

I'm sending mine off for approval today, this is what I was thinking about getting http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... 917VS.aspx the only concern I have is the price of ammo :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:33 pm 

CavemanDave wrote:
Congrats Mantis,
I am still waiting for my PAL to be approved.
I am going with this little semi from Marlin-
http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinest ... 0013030418

You'd be surprised how quickly they process those things. I heard all kinds of horror stories of people waiting months but mine was done in about 30 days flat. I guess you only ever hear about the horror stories! Now I just have to wait for Canada Post.! That's a nice rifle by the way.

Last edited by Mantis on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.