Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman T4opts
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:12 am 

I couldn't find a review of one here, so I thought I would toss one together. Mine is called a T4ops on the box though.

http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1326

Bear with me, this is my first review. So I may go overboard with text and small pictures, alot of pictures. Because who doesn't like pictures...

I was informed of my local Canadian Tire having a few of these a few days after purchasing a 2240. Once I researched it a bit, I had to have one, no matter what the cost. (Okay, no more than $250. Guess how much it was.... $249.99)

So, my first impression is what led me to it's purchase. It is just so tacticool.

The case it comes in is really nice (bonus $10 value, oooooh :D )

Everything is nicely packed inside. Though if you want the red dot to be left mounted with the extension attached, you will need to trim the foam.

It's plastic and lightweight. Even with all the gear attached. Though it weighs more than a 2240 ready to shoot, it is balanced nicely. Though mine came out of the box with rear hand grip broken and wobbly, but I can live with that (or find a way to make it better)

The included optics are nice. They are easy to see through (lens caps are a little blurry though) as well as easy to operate. It has 11 brightness settings adjustable by the dial on the left side. It has easy to operate rings that you can quickly remove from the gun. You will have to install the rings on the optic and adjust to your liking.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/ ... t4ops4.jpg

Loading the co2 cartridge can be tricky, it is definitely a 2 hand operation to remove the "magazine" from the gun.
The "clips" can be kind of a pain to get in and out with the top rail in the way a bit. No speed loading here.

On to shooting. I came into this with very, very low expectations. On par with my dad's CP Sport.
Wow did this gun surprise me. Though at first, it was shooting bb's 10ft higher than I was aiming. I will get to that later though.

Once dialed in, it is deadly accurate with very respectable power. Dare I say even more accurate than my 2240, even my Beeman 1040 with 4x scope. It could be that I have follow up shots though. I was hitting a pop can at 50 ft 5 out of 8 shots. 7 out of 8 at 25ft. I am the weak factor in it's accuracy.

The power is nice and drops off fast in the last 10 rounds. I didn't count how many shots per co2, but it was definitely over 50.
The fact you can shoot bb's and pellets is cool as well. Though bb's are not as accurate, it is rated for 450fps with them. 430fps for pellets. But I have read it is much lower than that.
I have yet to shoot it using the "irons", but why would you when you are provided with such nice optics :D

Trigger pull is a little on the heavy side. But it is a very even pull. Unlike the CPS. I find it to be one of the factors in my accuracy with it.

All the goodies can be removed and you can install only certain parts if you wish.

The included light is very nice. Good power, and throws light really well. Only downside is the cr123a batteries. They can be expensive if you do not buy in bulk. The option to switch between screw switch and pressure switch is nice as well. I must say, shooting with it on in the dark is really nice and extends it's shoot-able hours. The ring mount does not clamp tight enough to firmly hold it to the lower rail. Nothing some minor filing wouldn't fix though.
The light also gets very hot. I made the mistake of checking the barrel alignment with the light sitting on the slide too long.

oops :lol:

Okay, now onto it's major problem. The mock compensator. It does not mount properly, therefore it does not line up with the barrel. As you can see in previous pictures, the compensator points upwards. Therefore deflecting your shots places you do not wish them to go. BB's were okay, but after trying to align and using pellets, this happened:

What's left of the thing it slid onto. Inset is what it looked like.

I couldn't find the compensator piece, so I will have to patch it up somehow. Just to make it fit in the case and to look cool.
After some inspection (how I melted slide), I think it can be fixed if you file down the lower part of the compensator so it isn't forced to point up. I cannot confirm if this will work since mine is obviously busted.

This is the grip piece that was broken out of the box: (blue arrow)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/ ... broken.jpg

It was two very small tabs (toothpick sized) that are supposed to hold it. A light bump and I would of broken them myself.

Cliffs:
Expensive, cool case, plastic construction, cool goodies, respectably accurate, good pop can killing power, light is nice but hot, compensator is for looks only.

Sorry to babble on, I suck at writing. I just thought I would provide some info on this gun that everyone seems to look down upon. Jealousy of it's tacticool-ness? :lol: Sure you can build a wicked awesome gun for the price of this. This is just a nice replica gun for those of us who want cool gadgets and play too many video games.

Post subject: Non-Ops version
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:44 am 

Excellent review!

I have the Non-OPS version so I thought I'd add my impression.
"Iron" (a.k.a. plastic) front site required trimming (slowly) with a knife to get the height right. Rear is adjustable for windage, but is a bit akward to perform.

I agree totally that system for loading the mag has room for improvement. It often involves fidling and shaking.

Trigger pull; DAO and choppy and sometimes the pull is heavy (mag not sitting properly?).

With cheap Crossman pellets I shoot low 480s with it (okay...at 15 feet only, the garage is only 20ft long). Its quite light, hence good one-handed. Need two powerlets to get 60 good shots.

Would I recommend this to a friend? Hmmmm, Probably not; I want them to buy something else so that I can play with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:41 am 

you shot low 480 fps with a gun that can shot 430...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:03 am 

the 480 is a 60 shot score, not velocity.