Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: I am a proud papa!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:12 pm 

So......let me preface this by saying my daughter shoots...alot....and she's 4. For everyone who wonders "why" there are so many accidents involving kids with guns, and for those who think that kids shouldn't have access to firearms...let me tell you what happened today.

I ahave always been a firm believer that if you introduce kids to firearms early, the "mystery and attraction" surrounding them dissapears, and kids don't have accidents. Well, today my four year old little girl proved my theory correct.

She had her friend Mackenzie over today, and they were playing upstairs. I was sitting in the living room listening to them play, and I heard my daughter say "Thats a gun, it's my daddy's and you shouldn't touch it.....it can hurt you" (Let me add, the "gun" they were talking about is an 1829 blackpowder cap and ball revolver that doesn't work...a restoration project) Anyway, I snuck upstairs, and watched Mac staring in wide eyed amazement at the "gun".....while Emmy couldn't care less. After a few minutes of watching, I decided to let them know I was there, and said "Em...what are you guys doing?" She said "Nothing. Mac wanted to touch your gun". So..I said "Why don't you show it to him? It's OK" I then walked away (about 3 feet, but she couldn't see me...had no idea I was there) She proceeded to instruct him on muzzle control, then picked up the gun, PROVE'd it, then showed it to him :D

After about 45 seconds, she got bored and placed the gun back on the shelf and took him to the other room to play. The point is, if kids are familiar with an object, natural curiousity is not there and they are not as likely to "sneak" and touch something they shouldn't..they allready know what it is.....and if she want so handle a firearm, they are not "off limits"...all she has to do is ask. I feel better going forward that if she ever found a way into my vault, she wouldn't likely touch anything...and at least if she did she would be safe about it. Not that I'd ever give her the combo anyway...but still good to know.
Anway, just thought I'd share.

Heres a pic of Emmy with her rifle (Christmas):

Cheers,

Ryan

Last edited by Wrong Way on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 pm 

and you have every right to be proud.....she sure is a cutie too

http://thecanadianhuntingforums.myfreef ... /index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:32 pm 

Well put. I cringe when I hear my friends say things like "My kids will never be allowed around guns" and "I wouldn't own a gun". Like the hunk of metal and wood is some doomsday machine that might go off if within the vacinity of a living creature.

Properly stored and cared for they are just like any other tool on your workbench.

I grew up around firearms my entire life. Growing up with my dad having served in the forces and then a prison guard I was basically drilled in proper handling techniques since I can remember.

I think an understanding of firearms and an appreciation of their potential power is a far more effective method in educating children rather than pretending they don't exist except on TV. Plus a little, sometimes a lot, of fear of dad and what he'd do if he caught you goofing off or being careless with a firearm (which I can say I never did anyhow).

Usually when I show untrained friends parts of my collection an inner part of me shudders watching them fumble with a firearm. Of course I try and drill into them proper handling but it is obvious when someone hasn't spent much, if any, time around one.

Cute kid by the way :)

Cheers,
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:01 pm 

Congrats, Ryan, you've obviously done a great job with her.

For anyone with children, how early did you introduce them to guns (air, or powder) and at what age were they actually able to start shooting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:43 pm 

I "introduced" Emmy at about 18 mos...brought her to the range with me to watch the skeet guys. She started BB gun about 2 1/2 (help from dad), and is able just this year to actually shoot (load, support, aim, fire) on her own.

Post subject: Kids and guns
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:31 pm 

Ryan.....that is......GREAT!......PERFECT!.........damn - can't think of the words that express how incredibly appropriate this is.......for the reasons you gave.

I've run into many parents that have this 'phobia' about guns and "My little darling will never touch one"... which, assuming the child is naturally curious, just 'might' put the child in a world of hurt in the wrong circumstances.......which could of been easily prevented......by doing exactly what you're doing.

You have my admiration.

Plus - she's a real sweetie :D

Cheers - Gus :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:30 pm 
Admin-2-IC

That's excellent Ryan, congrats great job.
I've done the same to all my kids too.

Post subject: yeah
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:38 pm 

Right on Ryan. I won't tell my own story of growing up with guns and raising respectful and safety-conscious kids, but it runs mostly parallel with you.

The other thing I allways try to stress is that unlike all the crap in movies, tv, vid games, rap music, ad nauseum, violence is not the go-to way of dealing with conflict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:20 am 

Last edited by CP99_kid on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:46 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

my mom and dad have MAJOR gun phobia...but my uncle who is a cop thinks im fine with handling/firing guns , but they wont listen to him or me lol

:)