Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Slavia 630
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:01 pm 

Well I'm thinking about buying another break barrel. Since I already have a .22 break barrel air rifle I was thinking of getting one in .177 . And I was wondering if the slavia 630 is any good for power boosting and what not? Also are there any specific mods that can be done to the 630 for more power. Cause I'm probably going to a gun show on sunday and if I find one there for a good price I will buy it. One more thing what is the actual velocity out of the box?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:52 pm 

My 631 and 630 both do X.1fpe's with 8.44gr JSB Exacts after I had my way with them. The 631 was doing about X20fps with the JSB's out of the box, but my 630 was bang on 495fps out of the box also with JSB's. Spreading the split in the spring guide so it fits the spring perfectly and lubing will eliminate any twang. They are great guns, accurate, easy to cock and quiet(once tuned). Not quite a 24 or HW30s, but for the money you can't go wrong.

Mulby

Last edited by Mulby on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:13 pm 

I think I will go with either a 630 or 631 then instead of a Diana 24. The 24 is a great a gun but not so good for power. Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:27 pm 

My unmoddified Diana 24 .177(other than being lubed) makes X.45fpe's with the same pellets, the .22 makes 7.67fpe's also unmoddified but lubed. It's not alot more power, but out of the box performance of the CZ's may be Xfpe's or less depending on the spring it houses so it will most likely need help.
Also the T05 trigger on the 24 is way better than the CZ's units, the CZ's aren't bad but not nearly as adjustable or predictable.
I'm not saying don't get the CZ, but don't miss out on the quality of the Diana's just for the sake of power.

Mulby

Last edited by Mulby on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:54 pm 

Ok so basicly the Diana 24 is very accurate and low powered in .22 and higher in .177. The CZ rifles are also very good but not quite as good right? For some reason before buying a break barrel I always compare it to my .22 break barrel air rifle I have already and if it's not better or the same then I don't buy it. I'm not a newbie to airguns I'm just not familiar with the some of europeon models. Thats why I'm asking so many questions. So basicly what I've narrowed it down to is which is better to modify for power the 630/631 or the Diana 24? Thanks for any more info you can give me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:51 pm 

Actually the .22 24 is more powerfull than the .177 24 by 1.2fpe, yes the .177 has more velocity, but less energy.
I guess I want you to get both, LOL. The 24 is perfect in factory form, and the CZ's are a joy to tune for smoothness and power. If I wanted a .177 breakbarrel to tinker and tune I would get the CZ, simply because the changes in the guns shooting charateristics and power level is so obvious after the work is done. I made no attempt to boost the power in either of my 24's when I worked on them, gernerally I lubed high friction areas to help the guns work as well as possible for as long as possible.
In my tinkering with the CZ rifles, I found a distinct cut off to available power. I found a level of spacing that with the factory parts gave the best power and shot cycle. To much and the rifle got harsh and velocity started to drop, just right and the gun shoots smoothly and the velocity is good. They are limitted to the amount of power that can be attained while maintaining good manners. Accuracy is comparable between the two brands and models, but the 24 is more money for good reason.

P.S.
Sorry if I came across like you were a newbie, that's not my intention. It's just the way I put my thoughts down.

Mulby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:28 am 

Thanks for all the info. So then one more question I decided for now for a new break barrel then I'm either going to buy a 630 or 631 and the 24 another time. Which would you recommend more 630 or 631? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:43 am 

The 631 has a better rear sight than the 630, windage and elevation are adjusted with screws. The 630's rear sight has a screw to adjust elevation but the windage is adjusted by lifting up on the rear sight and moving it right or left(kind of a pain but it works). The 631 has the barrel latch which is nice for openning the barrel, rather than the "break open" action of the 630. The biggest difference between the two models are the stocks, 630 is a bit lighter because of the more slim style sporter stock with finger grooves, but the target style stock of the 631 is very comfortable and actually raises the height of the action making it a bit more comfortable to shoulder and easier to point. The actions of the two are for the most part identical. I would say the best way for you to decide is to handle both and pick from there. I like both alot, and couldn't recommend one over the other, they are both comfortable, accurate, and sweet shooters. Have fun,

Mulby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm 

Thanks again for all the info. I will be going to a gun show on sunday and maybe I will find one there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

i lub my slavia 631, it has taken more sparrows then any of my guns. :P So accurate, the barrel lock-up is a big bonus, very well built, sights are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:32 pm 

What kind of velocity are you getting from your 631?