Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:34 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Hello All,

Well I've waited awhile to write this review, as I wanted to best give a through review and use the scope for awhile before I posted my opinion. I purchased this scope for my FT rig in the spring, a tuned HW97K.

I'm new to FT, but have allowed several other more experienced (some with over two decades of experience) to handle and test the scope, so I will include their input as well.

I put through about 1500 pellets with this scope mounted before I did these tests, so I think its been ‘broken in’.

Optical Center – I placed the scope on in a ‘V’ shaped stand and focused it about 35 yards out, then adjusted the horizontal and vertical turrets until I found the true optical center (this is different then the mechanical center, which is the total number of clicks/2 for both turrets). I used point for all my further testing.

1/8MOA – I setup the scope securely at 10 yards so it was aiming at a tape measure. By counting how many clicks for the reticle to travel 1” then dividing by 10 (or you could setup at 100 yards and you don’t need to divide by 10) you get an idea of how accurate the 1/8 MOA is.

I did this several times and always counted 80 or 81 clicks – so the 1/8 MOA is accurate (I, nor anyone else I’ve talked to have every gotten this, normally it’s out by 5 or so clicks)

Repeatability on Clicks – Using the same setup as above and assuming I have my scope zeroed to the zenith of the pellet’s trajectory, I then performed 30 elevation changes in the downwards direction (moving the POI down) each time bringing the turret back to its zero position (this simulates a FT match)

After several of these tests, I noticed that the reticle had lowered about 3/32 of an inch, or 3 clicks at 10 yards. Okay, but not exact like I’d hoped.

I then re conducted this test, but instead of just going back to the turret zero, I went turned in the upwards direction the same amount of clicks (so if I went 34 clicks down I’d go back to 0, then 34 clicks up, then back to zero and start my next elevation change). Using this method the reticle did not stray from the original POI.

I cannot say how/if temperature affects the POI I shoot a springer, so it’s not like I’m grouping ¼” at 55 yards, but from what I’ve shot with it, I didn’t see any change in POI across changing temperatures.

Zero vs. Magnification – All my tests were done on 32x as that is all I use. In hindsight I wish I would have tested the POI using the above setup to see if the reticle moves as the magnification changes from 8 to 32x but I didn’t (totally forgot) so I can’t say if the POI is the same when you’re at 8x or 32x

Range Finding – I measured out 55 yards and proceeded to setup my side wheel. I originally was using the 100mm attachment, but I didn’t find this to be sufficient – there was only a few mm between 50 yards and 55 yards. I engineered a bolt-on wheel that attaches to the 100mm one, it’s 140mm (5.5”) and I can now get about 5mm travel between 50 and 55 yards.

I found the range finding to be pretty darn good. Things do not ‘snap’ in and out of focus as on some other scopes, but can I tell the difference between 50 and 55 yards? Yes. Can I tell the difference between 52 and 53 yards consistently? No not really, perhaps if I us a really big wheel (8”?) or practice with it more I will be able to. From what I’ve seen only the top dollar scopes can do this and this scope cost me $250 Canadian dollars and it’s illuminated.

Optics – I’m happy with them, I’m always able to see what I need to, even in low light, an eye hood would help when it’s too bright out to solve light creeping in from behind me, but you can wear a shirt with a hood (we call them hoodies) and pull up the hood when you need it.

Others who have looked through this scope tell me the optics are good (these others own top dollar scopes)

One Issue – The ring around the windage turret that has white dot on it has come loose and spins when you turn the windage (I think the glue has released) It does not effect the clicks in any way, you just lose the reference point (but it’s windage, so once I set it up, I don’t care) I could use a spot of crazy glue to hold it back down, or I could send the scope in for repair. I will do neither at the moment as it does not affect my shooting. If this happened to the elevation turret, well that’d be a different story.

Bottom Line – Several shooter look through this scope, ask what I paid for it then grumble about them spending double the $$ on their scope a few years ago. I understand the Bushnell Elite 4200 is a great scope but it’s 2x the price and doesn’t have the sidewheel. The way I shoot I need a sidewheel. Don’t get me wrong, if you want the best, you’ve got to spend the $$ and this isn’t the best (I was still able to finish 2nd in the piston division at the Canadian Nationals though) but from what I hear, for $250CDN this scope can’t be beat, and I agree.

Please note this is my opinion on the scope I own, I’ve been told that some scopes are ‘keepers’ while others are not – meaning each scope, even though the exact same model, is different (make sense to me) so if you’ve not having these results with your Leapers/AGS 8-32 x 56mm 30mm tube, I’m sorry for your luck – I’d send it back to Leapers and ask for another one, as this scope is capable of precision.

Now how will this scope fair after a year of use? I don’t know, I hope the turrets don’t wear out and loose their repeatability. I will try another full set of tests next year to see where it sits.

I hope this helps those who want to get into FT but are on a budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:27 am 

Very thorough report pirellip! (and no spelling mistakes! :shock: ) It'll be interesting to see what happens after a year of spinning the elevation turret.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:08 pm 

I've read lots of good comments about this being a great "beginners" FT scope. But nothing near as detailed as this! Good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:03 pm 

I have never used a high magnification scope before but even at x16, some are very sensitive to where/how you place your eye. The slightest "misplacement" and the sight picture would turn all white or black. Don't know if that's a sign of cheap scope or what. Does your Leaper have that characteristic ? Also, does the eye-relief change with magnification ?

Btw, using a $200+ scope is good. Make it that much sweeter when you kick Suprmatic's butt next round. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:13 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

POI wrote:
I have never used a high magnification scope before but even at x16, some are very sensitive to where/how you place your eye. The slightest "misplacement" and the sight picture would turn all white or black. Don't know if that's a sign of cheap scope or what. Does your Leaper have that characteristic ? Also, does the eye-relief change with magnification ?

Btw, using a $200+ scope is good. Make it that much sweeter when you kick Suprmatic's butt next round. :wink:

It is not very sensitive with how you place your eye and it doesn't change with magnification (but I really only use 32x) , I find it very easy to setup, and there is a bit of play. I've looked through scope that are VERY expensive, and it was difficult to obtain the correct sight picture, so that is a function of the scope, not it being cheap or of poor quality (there is a plus side to having such a tight alignment, it reduces any parallax errors by forcing consistent sight placement)

Supermatic is getting better and better, especially now that he as a good scope as well - very surprising for an old man...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:39 pm 

I am sure that Suprmatic will be waiting quite some time for a butt kicking now that he has an HW97k of his own...but thats okay, as a mature gentleman he has the years and experience to have great patience LOL.