Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Weihrauch HW40 and HW75
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:05 pm 

Is there a huge difference in performance between the HW40 and HW75? From what I've seen they both use the same single-stroke pneumatic to shoot pellets, and they shoot the same pellets at the same speed. The HW75 can be dry fired and has a different grip. The HW75 is roughly twice the price of a HW40... Is there anything between the two guns that would explain the huge jump in price?

Post subject: Difference
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:56 pm 

Nope, they both produce the same velocity and group identically.

I personally prefer the look and feel of the HW40 but the lasting quality would probably go to the 75.
Even so, i dont see the 40 wearing out anytime too quick.
Also with the additional weight of a big red dot, the 40 is the lighter the lighter.

You must however, pick the real 40.
There is no comparison between the marksman 2005 version and a 75 trust me!
S.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:36 pm 

appleb wrote:
Is there a huge difference in performance between the HW40 and HW75? From what I've seen they both use the same single-stroke pneumatic to shoot pellets, and they shoot the same pellets at the same speed. The HW75 can be dry fired and has a different grip. The HW75 is roughly twice the price of a HW40... Is there anything between the two guns that would explain the huge jump in price?

The HW75 is, IMO, well worth the extra money. The match type wood grip makes for a much better grip, and the palm shelf, such as it is, helps the fit to the hand. The HW75 is also all metal construction, and the slight added weight over the HW40, is IMO, an advantage. The HW75 "slide"/cocking lever is slightly longer, making it a little easier to cock - especially for extended shooting sessions. The HW75 also has a slightly longer sight radius. The HW75 also, IMO, has a much better trigger than the HW40. For all practical purposes, both guns shoot at the same velocity, but I found that I was able to shoot slightly better groups offhand with the HW75. I had both the HW40 and the HW75 for a while and conducted some side by side testing with both. The result of this testing was - the HW40 was sold, and I still have the HW75.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:58 pm 
Site Moderator

If your main concern is a budget price and "speed" then maybe the HW40 or a Crosman 1377 would be your better choice. If you have appreciation for a fine air pistol then maybe consider the HW75.

http://www.airguninfo.com/p3p2.htm

Cheers,
Todd

Post subject: Try out
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:44 pm 

Maybe try out first.
What fits one person might not be as good for another.

I didnt detect much noticable difference in trigger as Super found but then i did not measure the pressures.
Its also possible that i had a particularly nice 40 trigger.

In the end though, i agree that the 75 has more metal (much more) and many will find this more appealing.
S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:29 pm 

Thanks for all the help everyone. I've gone ahead and ordered the HW40, and maybe later on I'll get the HW75. But for now, the HW40 seems like the best value for me.