Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:28 pm 

hey everyone,

i wanted to buy a backpacker from a friend, but recently found out that it shoots at only 300fps at 10pumps, stock gun, tested with my chrony (chrony works fine)

what can be wrong with it? should i still buy it ? (you think it will be easy to fix?) the gun was taken apart once, you think it just wasnt put together snug? will dissassembling it and assembling it fix it?

P.S. anyone else have this problem on 17xx / 22xx series guns - the screw in the breech (the one thats visible when you pull the bolt back) impossible to get out? and when you try, you damage it?

thank you,
Razpizdiay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

These guns are easy to work on, quite simple internals.

The screw that holds on the breech can be removed without damaging using the proper sized allan key. Just take it apart and see if anything is damaged, buy the new parts and put it back together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:45 pm 

so... you think i should go ahead and buy this gun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

that depends on the price :P and if you like pumping...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:31 pm 
Admin-2-IC

razpizdiay wrote:
so... you think i should go ahead and buy this gun?

sounds like your problem to be at pump seal 760-140 or could be valve stem 1322A011.
If the price is very cheap, perhaps you can use it as part for your 2240 project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:24 pm 

huge thanks for the input guys, i really appreciate it.

i think i will tell you the whole story....

i bought the gun at lebaron long time ago, once i took the barrel off and put it on my 2240, then put it back together, seemed to work fine. my friend once came over and wanted to buy it, and since he didnt have any other airguns, i agreed and sold it to him. a couple of months later (which was a week ago) he came over so we could fix the bleed hole. i chrono'ed it, found out that it shoots at 300fps... i feel that there is my fault in it, plus i want to mod a pumper (along with my 2240 mod project, so when i dont have co2 i can still shoot) i agreed to buy it back from him.

i will most likely buy it for around $70, and if you think about it, its actually good that its broken - i will get a chance to get gun fixing experience :-)

oh yeah, any ideas on how to remove the damaged head screw that holds the breech at the fron (the one thats visible when bolt is cocked)? i had the same problem on my 2240, so i dremeled a "flat-head" groove on the screw, is there an easier way? and why does this happen anyways? - i use the right allen wrench and it screws up...

thanks,
Razpizdiay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:30 pm 

another thing - when i am going to mod the gun, what do you think is better:

making it a .22
or making it a .177

i way of thought is this: i will have a modded 2240 that wastes alot of co2 and uses more expencive .22 pellets.

than why not make a gun that requires no co2 and uses cheap pellets? (.177 cal pump)

who agrees?

razpzidiay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:55 pm 
Admin-2-IC

razpizdiay wrote:
huge thanks for the input guys, i really appreciate it.

oh yeah, any ideas on how to remove the damaged head screw that holds the breech at the fron (the one thats visible when bolt is cocked)? i had the same problem on my 2240, so i dremeled a "flat-head" groove on the screw, is there an easier way? and why does this happen anyways? - i use the right allen wrench and it screws up...

thanks,
Razpizdiay

That is the best way to do it. It happened from over tightening.
Actually I would dremel the screw head to fit flat screw driver before installing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:14 pm 
Admin-2-IC

razpizdiay wrote:
another thing - when i am going to mod the gun, what do you think is better:

making it a .22
or making it a .177

i way of thought is this: i will have a modded 2240 that wastes alot of co2 and uses more expencive .22 pellets.

than why not make a gun that requires no co2 and uses cheap pellets? (.177 cal pump)

who agrees?

razpzidiay

In your case, I would agree, it's a great idea .177 cal pump.

I personally think it's too much trouble pumping, it's bad enough with the springer. Bulk the co2 is way to go. PCP is the best way to go.