Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:35 am 

Actually, the problems are not surfacing herre, but in the US. There are so
few of them here, there are not enough of them to have the trouble they
have had in the States.

One thing for sure, there are a number of makes of scopes that are only
found in the UK and will not be anywhere else. I browse through BAR's
web site at least once a month, or more, to keep up with the latest toys.
It comes in handy, now and then.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject: A Question ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:17 am 

I have a question about the targets.... what range of kill zone sizes will you find at the different ranges?.... ie at the closest, middle, and farthest?....

It seems incredible to me that you will use the maximum magnification of these scopes virtually all the time (yes, I read Keyriggers other thread giving advice about not having to use lower powers)....

I've never looked through anything over 12X.... :lol:

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:46 am 

In an average match, you will find these as normal

3/8" out to 15 yards
1/2" out to 25 yards
3/4" out to 35 yards
1" out to 45 yards
1 1/4" out to 55 yards
1 1/2" out to 55 yards

That is an average for an average match. Once you get into a
championship match, you are in a different difficulty level and the targets
will be pushed out much futher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:04 pm 

Thanks for that.... OK, next question !!!

You can see targets of that size easily (and in detail) with even a cheap scope in the 9 - 12 X range.... most of those KZs when set at the maximum ranges you gave are 0.6 Mil-Dot in diameter....

I've never shot FT, and probably never will (too much money for a competitive rig, and if nothing else, I'm a competitive guy!).... and I certainly can't tell you guys what to do.... but I still can't understand why you need these megapower scopes?.... Is it because at the highest power they will go out of focus with even tiny adjustments and therefore make it easier for you to "rangefind" using the AO wheel?.... :shock:

If that's the case.... then wouldn't a lower powered scope be just fine in the Hunter class, as long as it focuses down to 10 yards or less?.... :)

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:16 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Is it because at the highest power they will go out of focus with even tiny adjustments and therefore make it easier for you to "rangefind" using the AO wheel?.... :shock:

If that's the case.... then wouldn't a lower powered scope be just fine in the Hunter class, as long as it focuses down to 10 yards or less?.... :)

Bob

You are correct in your assumption. On the highest magnification range, the target will snap in and out of focus quite noticeably, allowing rangefinding accuracy to fractions of a yard.

Also correct, which is why the scope power is limited to 15x(?) for HFT. As long as you can get a clear "picture", you are good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:11 am 

I would think these Leapers would make bargain FT Scopes, especially for the Hunter class....

4-16X50 Full Size A.O. (SCP-416AOMDLTS) - $117.00 - 1" tube, Red-Green Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle, Front AO adjust, 10 yd. to infinity....

SWAT 4-16X56 A.O. Full Size Range Estimating Mil-Dot Scope (SCP3-416AOMD) - $167.99 - 30mm tube, Mil-Dot Reticle, Side AO Adjust, 10 yd. to infinity....

You can get an 80mm side wheel for the SWAT 30mm tube for $19.00.... all prices from D&L.... first two scopes on their scope page....

http://www.dlairgun.com/scopes.htm

Bob

Post subject: Leapers 8-32
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:14 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I got my Leapers from Marstar. They were the only place in Canad I could find it.

I purchased my 100mm sidewheel from the U.S. Personally I'd go with 80mm, as it an easy modification (not the most beautiful) to use an old CD spindle to get a 6" wheel.

As for using them on a Magnum springer, no problem. Tom Gaylord has tested them put his stamp on these. There are several reviews out there where they hold up fine on a Patriot. Lifetime warranty anyways, so as long as you don't muck with it (don't open it up!) you'll be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:46 pm 

Arrgh this is what i get for being cheap got a fitcoo 4-16X44 and have used it around 10 times and the power adjust is stuck on 4 plus i dont think its holding the zero at all, when it was working i was getting scope creep but for it to be as far off as it was makes me think that it was more than just creep. me thinks im gonna get a rex or a leapers now :roll:
sent fitco an email to see if i can exchange it for a new one but we shall see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:57 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Is there a technical reason why the 100mm diameter AO wheel is preferred over the 80mm or is it just personal preference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 am 

Quote:
Is there a technical reason why the 100mm diameter AO wheel is preferred over the 80mm

I believe because technically, there isn't a 155mm wheel offered by Leapers. :mrgreen:

Spacing between the indicator hashmarks, would be greater on a larger wheel, if I understand what I've read correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:59 am 

gammawolf wrote:
Arrgh this is what i get for being cheap got a fitcoo 4-16X44 and have used it around 10 times and the power adjust is stuck on 4 plus i dont think its holding the zero at all, when it was working i was getting scope creep but for it to be as far off as it was makes me think that it was more than just creep. me thinks im gonna get a rex or a leapers now :roll:
sent fitco an email to see if i can exchange it for a new one but we shall see.

Send the scope back for credit if you are still able.

The Leapers 4-16x56 would be a great choice for the hunter class. The side focus is really nice for fast focus sharpening. Easy to reach and turn.

My others top choices for hunters scopes:
- Bushnell Legend 5-15
- used Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20 (set on 15 while at the match)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:06 am 

Parker_101_ wrote:
Is there a technical reason why the 100mm diameter AO wheel is preferred over the 80mm or is it just personal preference?

In all classes except the Hunter class most quality scopes are used as range finders. Distances are measured off with a measuring tape, then the scope is brought to its sharpest focus at that distance and the yardage measurement (numeric) is marked on the scope (usually a piece of tape or sticky back vinyl is used to write on/some print yardage labels). The larger the wheel the more space is between yardage marks. As the distances get further out, the yardage markings become closer together. Therefore, the larger wheel allows for more space between markings. Side wheels are prefered because they have a larger outside diameter to widen the distance between the markings. Plus, they are easier to reach and turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:45 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Excellent explanation CJN.... It now has become clearer to me....
Thanks!....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:44 pm 

ok -leapers 1" tube but 4x-16X or a leapers 30mm tube 3x-12x. which would be better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:50 pm 

Gamma:

You've got to compare apples to apples. Compare the 4-12 of each size and you will take the 30mm tube every time. Also, a 3-9 has got to be a complete dog to not be bright enough to use. We are talking FT here, not general use, and in that light, I would never use a 3-9 "Anything" for FT. It does not have enough magnification.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next