Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:44 pm 

Hello all,
What's a good entry level Field Target gun? I currently have a slightly modded Crosman 2289G, that though has to be pumped....alot, shoots inside an inch at 100 feet. I can see that some FT shooting is farther and requires more fpe at the target so what can a poor boy get to knock em over at all FT distances?
Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:21 pm 

Keyrigger offered some excellent perspective elsewhere on the forum:

Keyrigger wrote:
While I could easily put together a list of rifles that are ready to go FT rifles, it would be far too subjective. Rifles that are far over the power level that some of our targets can withstand, can be tamed down, but that requires either the knowledge to do so or a trip to a smith that knows what he is doing. There is also the situation where a rifle does not have enough power to knock down a target at longer distances. In some cases, it cannot be increased, so the individual must be prepared for the occasional target that is not going to fall down, even with a perfect hit.

It's really like this. If you can put a scope on it, it will work. If you are really good with iron sights, it will work. If it is under 20 fpe in power, it will work. Does that mean that if you buy a QB 78 and drop a scope on it, you can become the next Canadian FT PCP Champion? Not very likely. Does it mean that you can take a run at winning a Hunter Division medal on a regular basis? Very likely.

Keyrigger wrote:
I am not going to differenciate between PAL and non-PAL rifles, here. I do recommend the .177 calibre version in all rifles, unless you want the hardest challenge in any FT Division. Shooting .22 calibre.

Under 500 - QB (any version), B-50/51 (any power level), RWS 850
501-1000 - HW 97 (either stock), TX-200 Mk III, HW 98
1001-1500 - Hw 100 S or T, Air Arms S400
1501 and up - Stery LG 110, USFT, Air Arms EV-2

Not many between 1000 and 1500 so there is only the two rifles. These are also rifles that are available in Canada and have already been imported and are available for purchase. Any air gun under 20 fpe can be used, but these would be my "Go To" selection in those price ranges. Drop a scope on it, load it up with air, gas, or your arm power, and go shoot. No fiddling needed, but that is not to say that you never need to have them gone over for the best performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:59 pm 

For under $500 I might add:
- any decent break barrel that you shoot fairly well
- Benjamin Sheridan pumper
- B40 - the TX200 clone
- Crosman 160
- Crosman 187
- etc
Anything you can shoot fairly well with. If it can manage 700+ fps, that would be a bonus.

$500-$1000
- Talon set between 12 and 20 ft/lb
- Logun Solo - Not just because I have one for sale :wink:
- Higher priced break barrels like R1, the HW break barrels, Theoben break barrels or gas rams, Webley, ...
- Used guns like the AA 300 and AA400 series, Daystate Huntsman, if you are lucky a Theoben Rapid series gun, ...

$1000+
- Daystate Ft guns new and old Daystate CRX, CRE, CR97
- Ripley new or used ft guns
- Theoben Rapid FT guns or others in the Rapid series
- Anshutz 2025 FT
- Walther Dominator

I tried not to duplicate anything listed by Keyrigger. I am sure there are still more that would do the trick. Most of these guns can be found on the web and many have reviews written for them. You just Google search the gun with reviews after it, such as, "Anshutz 2025 review" and it will generally take you to the Review Centre, where many gun reviews are listed.

Just do not forget the (Use what you bring) rule that has been referred to in other posts. The experience of even one match will answer more than a months worth of reading posts. I am not trying to downplay the importance of this site; it is an invaluable resource for spreading the word about airgunning and bringing people together from all over Canada and the world.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:07 pm 

Looks like very soon the Benjamin Discovery will be added to the list of entry level FT guns. The gun for well under $300 and gun and pump for $399 US would be great, especially in the new Hunter Division.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:40 pm 

Thanks for adding your rifle picks! I *think* that I have made up my mind....but I'm always looking for more info before I dive in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:51 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Thanks for adding those other models Mac, it's much appreciated... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:16 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Thanks for adding your rifle picks! I *think* that I have made up my mind....but I'm always looking for more info before I dive in!

You still considering an HW97KL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:51 am 

Suprmatic wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:

Yes sir! I still need to take you up on your offer! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:01 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Suprmatic wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:

Yes sir! I still need to take you up on your offer! :D

We'll set something up via PM.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:15 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I'd also consider the Gamo CFX. A very accurate underlever (fixed barrel) piston for a great price. They are very light (not a good thing for FT shooting) but they are a synthetic stock, so very easy to add weight to.

I've also seen a gas ram version on PyramidAir, but it's a lot more $$...