Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: fps for hunter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:46 am 

hey all was just wondering , what with the hunter class this year with targets being up to 50 yards away what kind of fps are we talkin about to hit targets accurately ? i have a b4 that is shooting around 500 fps and was wondering if that is enough to compete and yes i know as long as its under 20fpe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:06 am 

although you might be alright for the closer targets I'm not sure about the long ones.. Last year when I was partnered with Suprmatic I seen him get robbed a few times on a couple targets that wouldn't go down from his FWB,IIRC his is shooting in the high600-low700s.. It took my QB .22 to knock it down and that is shooting 640fps with a 14 grain pellet. .. Mind you maybe the target was sticky.. who knows you probably would be alright as long as they have the targets set up so they require less fpe to knock down..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:26 am 

thanks rvd im sure its hitten aound 500 fps , i hope so anyway i dont have a pal -yet and i do plan on coming out for the hunter class this year
well weel see what happens lookin forward to meeting some of you guys.

Post subject: Re: fps for hunter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:42 am 

gammawolf wrote:
hey all was just wondering , what with the hunter class this year with targets being up to 50 yards away what kind of fps are we talkin about to hit targets accurately ? i have a b4 that is shooting around 500 fps and was wondering if that is enough to compete and yes i know as long as its under 20fpe

Hey Gammawolf,

Is your B4 .177?

Traditionally, almost all FT shooters use guns with a muzzle energy between 11.5fpe (785fps-.177-8.4g) and 20fpe (925-.177-10.5g).

That would mean impact energy at 55 yards would be between 6.5-13.5fpe.

Supermatic was the low power shooter this year with a muzzle energy around 9fpe (700fps-.177-8.4g). I think his FWB 300 would still be making at least 5.2fpe at 55 yards (.0250 BC). Super's power was well below average.

My FWB 300 produces 8.75fpe (685fps-.177-8.4). But my testing has found that the BC is .0400. This allows the impact energy at 55 yards to still be 6.2fpe. Super's may be the same as mine (producing a high BC).

More rigorous target testing is needed for 2008. This has become necessary for two main reasons: 1) the presence of lower than normal powered FT guns 2) some of our shooters have been buying new, heavier built, FT targets which take more energy to make the paddle fall.

To be completely clear, it will be impossible for us to set up a course of targets where 100 percent of the targets will fall when the paddle is hit by a sub 500fps .177 airgun. This gun will only make up to 4.3fpe muzzle velocity. The targets cannot be set to function completely flawlessly from impact energies of 2-18fpe. First off, many of the targets are not adjustable unless modified. With those targets that are adjustable, we usually find if the paddle is adjusted so light that it will fall back from 2fpe, 20fpe guns will cause it to false fall with face plate hits at short distances. If set so these false knockdowns don't happen, an impact energy of 2fpe will not push the paddle back.

Mac and I have been talking about this and conclude that we will have to guarantee that targets will function down to a certain energy level this year. The guarantee may be that they will work with all airguns with a muzzle energy of a least 11fpe or higher, OR, that they will fall from hits down to 5fpe. My preference is to go with the second approach, and have a low power rifle or pistol to test the targets with. Such testing can be done at home before the targets are even set up. I also suggested to Mac that we have a pistol that produces between 4.5-5.0fpe to use as the test platform at the matches if or when at target is suspected of improper setting or malfunction. This is a much more accurate test rather then subjective pushing back of the paddle with your hand and guess-ta-mating it is fine by such a test.

In conclusion, even if you shoot sub 500fps .177 airguns, come out and shoot. Have a great time. Remember the Hunter class is 1 point for a hit anywhere on the target, and 2 points for a knock down of the target. But remember, your sub 500fps .177 will NOT be able to knock all the paddles over. Even so, you are still gaining points by the target hit.

See you in 2008!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:39 pm 

sounds good anyway ill be there