Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Questions about HFT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:41 pm 

is there a website i could go to for info... rules, specs, thing of that sort.
i wish to use my QB 79 to start shooting HFT. my very first question would be what does the gun have to shoot of in the ft-lb area. and scope choice.
i think the scope that is curretnly on the gun should do the job quite well
bushnell 3-9x32 it hit what ever its sighted in at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:43 pm 

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18564
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18593
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18615

scopes

http://thecanadianhuntingforums.myfreef ... /index.php

Post subject: Re: Questions about HFT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:42 pm 

Aaron wrote:
is there a website i could go to for info... rules, specs, thing of that sort.
i wish to use my QB 79 to start shooting HFT. my very first question would be what does the gun have to shoot of in the ft-lb area. and scope choice.
i think the scope that is curretnly on the gun should do the job quite well
bushnell 3-9x32 it hit what ever its sighted in at.

Very shortly, I believe, we will have a few sticky's that will answer your questions. Shoot rules, dates and times for 2008 competitions, etc.

Our shoot rules will give detailed information on Hunter Field Target. As to answer your questions would take too much space, I hope you are ok to wait just a short time until the sticky arrives.

By the way, a new web page is under construction and should be listed soon.

In summary:
- Scopes: Your scope should be fine for Hunter class. The maximum magnification allowed for Hunter class is 15x.
- Points System: For Hunter class 1 point for a hit anywhere on the target face. 2 points if you shoot though the kill zone and the target falls over.
- Power Levels: A maximum muzzle energy of 20fpe is the set limit generally. There is no minimum limit. But target will only be guaranteed to fall down to 5 foot pounds of energy, likely. One of the other governors and I have been discussing this. The most common power levels for Field Target shooters are from 11.5-19.5 foot pounds of muzzle energy, and they will never shoot a pellet below 5fpe at the longest ranges we have. Some targets will likely fall with less impact energy, but 5 will likely be the verbal guarantee. We will go as low as we can without the target being prone to false falls when hit with a high power gun at short distances.
- Target Distances: Will range from 10-55 yards. Distances are not told, and Hunter class shooters have to guess the distance and aim accordingly.
- Targets: Are made of metal and designed to fall over when a pellet passes through a hole in the face place and strikes the paddle behind the face of the target. The targets are reset with a heavy dacron line (up to 200lb line), or a planner line used on fishing planner boards. Others use contractors line, but it seems to have more stretch, making it a little harder to pull the targets up.

Hope this summary helps

Keep an eye out for new sticky that will cover the rules and shoot dates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:11 pm 

wow thanks eric and CJN lots of info there, i dont think ill be making it out to any competitions as i am in school and reserves which takes up a lot of my time. i am going to start practising with co2 and HPA, distances, pellet types, and different wind variables as soon as the cold weather breaks up a bit. and start charting what does what. i also have to see what my QB is running to see if it is up to the task.

thanks again for the info gentlemen.
Aaron.