Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:08 pm 

Not long after the purchase of my first PCP airgun late in 2007, I was scrambling about to get myself all set up for refilling from a scuba tank. During this process, I inadvertently discovered a very important bit of info with regard to the the quick connect fittings used for filling . One supplier had the fitting that I needed, but in brass, at a much higher cost than the similar steel fitting. Being of a frugal nature, I asked for the steel fittings, but alas, only Brass fittings were in stock. Upon examining the brass connector, while the salesperson was writing up the bill, I casually commented that the brass could not be nearly as strong as steel, and asked if he was sure that they had the same specifications for pressure handling. He was pretty sure that they were, but would confirm it from the maker's specifications.

This is where it gets interesting. The brass quick connects are only rated at 1000 PSI working pressure, whereas the steel ones are rated at 5000 PSI working pressure. Even considering the standard 4:1 safety factor, if you happen to be using a 4500 PSI tank, it could be an accident waiting to happen. The above spec. was the same for most major manufacturers that I checked - Aeroquip, Parker, Foster, Faster, and Tomko.

If you or anyone you may know is using the brass quick connects, it would be well worth your while to double check the ratings on the specific brand you are using if it is not one of the ones mentioned above. If you are currently using a brass quick connect bearing any of the above mentioned manufacturer's names, I'd suggest changing them to the steel connectors, in the interest of safety.

Regarding the price differential alluded to above - the steel connectors are generally about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the brass ones. For my AA S400E, the steel fittings were $8.00 ea. in steel, as opposed to $25.00 ea. in brass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:30 pm 

Good call Supr.
I had used a few of the brass for the same reason you mention... available.
I have bought SST ones from Tim Mac1 at $3 each and am converting all I have to this.
The 2000psi fills were enough to cause the balls to upset the brass on the male quick connect. not good
Thanks for the heads up.
Walter....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:28 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Good call Supr.
I had used a few of the brass for the same reason you mention... available.
I have bought SST ones from Tim Mac1 at $3 each and am converting all I have to this.
The 2000psi fills were enough to cause the balls to upset the brass on the male quick connect. not good
Thanks for the heads up.
Walter....

The stainless steel quick-connects, to my surprize, are rated at a lower working pressure by some manufacturers than the plain steel, but typically, about 3 times what the brass ones are rated for. For the particular connector for my AA S400E, the stainless unit is rated at 3000 PSI working pressure. A few manufacturers rate the stainless and plain steel for the same working pressure.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions, and ultimately, the validity of the manufacturer's specs as well, with your observations on the brass connectors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:01 am 
Supporting Member 2013

there is a guy on ebay who sells stainless steel ones sometimes for $3 each , i bought a bunch . worth checking out , also the female ones for $5 , lots of pressure gauges in 1200-3000-5000psi . $4

*lucky*7* is the seller , some time he has lots .