Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Air Arms EV2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:45 pm 

Any of these in Canada? Anyone shot one? Heard anything about it? Priced it out? I'd love to see a side by side comparison of:
Air Arms EV2 vs. Steyr LG110 FT vs. USFT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:08 pm 

So far, the closest thing to the EV2 that has been seen in Canada, is the AA MPR FT that CJN has. The barrel is the same as the EV2, but with a much simpler delivery system behind it. The normal tendency is for US owners to take their rifle to Joe Korick and have him boost the power up to anywhere from 15 to 20 fpe. A few have since dropped the power back down and a lot are now being purchased and left as they are at 12 fpe. The price seems to be stable at 1800 to 1900 and there is little extra to purchase for the rifle aside from the scope and mounts. Believe it or not, it is far more difficult to tune the USFT to 12 fpe than to run it at full 20 fpe. Both Larry Durham and Tim McMurray have worked overtime to get the 12 fpe USFT to perform at an equal accuracy level to the 20 fpe and it is still not a simple parts replacement. The Steyr is comfortable at any power level it is purchased at, as each version has its own barrel, springs, and regulator. All are capable at distance of keeping pellets within 5/8" or less at 50 yards. Hope this helps.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:40 pm 

Keyrigger wrote:
Hope this helps.

Yes it did and thanks! I just figured that if I'm going to spend that much on a dedicated FT rig then it's conceivable I'd be visiting the worlds at some point. That being the case and the 12ft/lb limit across the pond, it'd be wise to keep that in mind when I do make a purchase. The couple of reviews on the EV2 I have read were very favourable...except for one guy who sounded upset more with the customer service end of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:00 pm 

Yeah, that EV2 is one sexy-looking gun. Not that the Steyrs aren't too...

Do we even have a place to buy Steyrs in Canada now? I presume SSSO could get the EV2. In fact, I wonder if airgunsource could too, since Pyramidair has them (including the pretty blue anodised one).

There have been various posts in the North American forums specifically about the difficulty, and the long time frame, it takes to get satisfactory service from Air Arms and Daystate over here. This is for the more serious issues, and IIRC they were problems from straight out of the box not from customer "breaking". I don't think they're well set up for North America yet. OTOH, there doesn't seem to have been many problems at all, but the few seem to come from very vocal people.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well. - Murphy's Other Laws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:15 pm 

In reality, you need to take a long hard look at where some of the complaints are coming from. There are a few that are cronic complainers and are very guilty of not being able to leave the guns alone, but insist on making them "better" than the factory. The one rifle that got a very bad rap was the Walther and some of it was deserved (regulator not up to the task), but there were a lot that were customer created. For the vast majority of rifles sold, they are still exactly the way they came from the factory and as long as they are left alone and dirt is kept from getting in the air system, they will run for years before needing service.

I would not write Illingworth off just yet. A closure as a result of moving a business and having to restart things is not a simple venture. Oh, just in case you have forgotten, Scott was a firearm dealer in Saskatchewan and the red tape that is invloved there is extensive. It is NOT a simple matter of getting your inventory and moving to Calgary, AB and opening up a new shop. Permits for the business can be tied up for weeks, storage must be found and approved while things are in transit, and I am talking from experience. It could be a couple of months before things sort out, so give it some time. As to Airgun Source getting the EV2, absolutely, they can do that.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?