Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What .22 for first PB?
Savage mk2 FVT 58%  58%  [ 11 ]
Norinco EM332 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Old Cooey .22 for $75 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: What .22 for first PB?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:51 pm 

Here I am waiting for my first PAL and searching out .22 after .22 on the net and Gunnutz. So far I think that I want a Savage Mk2 FVT. I like the price and I want something with peep sights. If the right rifle comes up with old fashioned irons, I'll go for it. But so far, the FVT is my favorite. Price is a consideration for sure and it should be a bolt action. The 10/22 might come later, lol. Thought I'd post up a poll here and see what the consensus is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:53 am 

My suggestion would be to keep your eyes peeled for an older Anschutz or Walther bolt action. Then there is the CZ target rifles, and many others. They show up for sale frequently enough, and can often be found in very nice condition. The workmanship surpasses nearly anything to be found new, and the triggers are very nearly of match quality. Sights are generally far superior to many of the current offerings as well.

The CIL/Anschutz 180, 190, 310, etc. are fine shooting guns, and range in price from around $200.00 to $500.00. The Walther KKJ series, as well as the KKM series can be found ranging from $350.00 to around $650.00. The all out match and benchrest guns get a bit pricier, but, The occasional super deal can still be found at gun shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:10 pm 

Thanks for the tip Supr. I've handled a couple Anschutz rifles in the past and was impressed with their quality. And I had no idea that Walther even made something that was affordable! If I come across either of these rifles in my quest, I'll be certain to give them careful consideration. In fact, there is a CIL/Anschutz on the CGN forum but it has a danaged stock and I don't like that... What is the deal with CIL anyway? Did they make the Anschutz rifles under licence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:05 pm 

what modle of cooey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:40 pm 

lh wrote:
What is the deal with CIL anyway? Did they make the Anschutz rifles under licence?

No - the CIL/Anschutz rifles were made by Anschutz.

CIL sponsored a number of marksmanship programs back in the late '60s and early '70s, and in many instances, even subsidized the purchase of the guns for these programs, and as well, for their employees. The CIL/Anschutz markings were done for promotional purposes, and from what I have been told by folks that were involved with some of these programs, it worked very well for CIL. But alas, times change, and these shooting programs fell victim to the onslaught of political correctness :evil: .

What I have found, is that collectors shun the CIL marked guns, favouring those marked only with the Anschutz name. IMO, this works in favour of those of us who wish to buy these guns as target guns to shoot, because the roll stamp on that Anschutz barrel does not degrade it's tackdriving abilities in the very least. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:54 pm 

Very interesting. I will keep my eyes open for a CIL/Anschutz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:13 pm 

A couple of targets that I shot using a couple of older Walther rifles:

First up is 10 shots, at 50 yards, benched, using the factory open sights. This was shot with a Walther KKJ-M, (manuf. approx. 1962), which came from the factory with a match diopter rear sight, and a globe front sight, with an aperture element. Scored 98 out of a possible 100. Shot at Silverdale range. The "9" ring is around the size of a nickle, so for all intents and purposes, a 1/2", 10 shot group.

This second target has the details noted in the pic. The KKJ-T is approximately 1960 vintage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:26 am 

I'd go for the Savage- it's made in Canada, has a good reputation, and will be likely cheaper than a used Walther or Annie. Your choice of a bolt for a first .22 is a good one. Get the fundamentals down with it- learn your trajectory, and how to hit consistently with it. I like what I see of the FVT in my catalogues... Having a brand new one for a first p.b. could be an emotional plus, depending on how you see things.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 am 

That's exactly how I feel about the Savage Doc. I might keep my eyes peeled for a beater like an old Cooey or Lakefield too, but I've got my mind made up (for now at least) on the Mk2 FVT.