Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: My new PCP FT rig!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:21 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19461

Now I can start going after the PCP fellas!

My plan is to shoot my HW97K (piston rifle) in Elmira and the Steyr LG100ZM at Port Colborne.

I've got a lot of setup to do with this new rifle of mine - good thing I love that part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:28 pm 

You certainly will have your hands full this summer, lol. Watch out for the 410's, they're coming............

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:31 am 

pirellip, looking forward to knocking heads with you in the PCP Division this season. It should be a very challenging and fun time.

Set that baby up and be ready to go early this spring.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:03 am 

Shhh.... if you are really quiet, you can actually hear Keyrigger, CJN, Mac, Canshooter, Jester, and a few others, sweating !!!! :P :lol:

The sighs of relief from Windbag, George, and myself are probably a bit easier to hear... :wink: :lol: (at least for the Port shoots... :lol: )

Congrats on your new FT rig, pirellip !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:20 am 

The learning curve is really steep this time, Supr. Later in the season, I would say he will be a bit more comfortable with it, but off the start? New rifle, new scope, different characteristics, will be a very tough curve to get a handle on. The rifle is also not complete yet, as there are more items to come. The Leupold will be a lot different to the Leapers that he currently has. CJN described the scope well, stating it is more like "Good, Better, Best, Better, Good" rather than "Out, In, Out" for the focus picture between the two. The Leupold has a much longer range of focus compared to most of the other FT scopes out there. That was one item that the early testers asked S&B to change as the first ones were much like the Leupold. This should be a very tough season, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:37 am 

Hey Keyrigger, I think that pirellip is going to be competitive right out of the gate. He knows the game and I know he can shoot. I'm sure he'll have that rig fully sorted before the May match in Port. I hope and believe that he will be in there for awards right out of the gate.

No pressure, right pirellip?:wink:

I hope a bunch of us can get together at Port a few times before the first match at Waterloo in April.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:36 am 

How do you spell PSYCH.... :roll: :lol: :twisted:

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:18 pm 

:lol: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:33 pm 

How can there be a steep learning curve for PCP ? what's there to learn? how to adjust your scope wheel? lol staying steady while shooting applies to everygun not just pcp's or airguns.. I had NO experience with PCP's till shot some of your pcp's at my house last year and to be honest with you after shooting those high end guns i realized why you guys get the score that you do LOL they're so accurate and easy to shoot it's almost cheating..

Same thing with your steyr pistol keyrigger, standing offhand(one hand hold) i hit that 3/8" hole the first time i tried.. if somebody has any kind of knack for shooting they'll do fine with a rifle like the Steyr..

I think Supr was right, you're sweating LOL HAHA :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:17 pm 

If there is no learning curve, I presume that when you get your first FT PCP rifle and scope, you will have no questions for guys like me, MAC, or Supr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:28 pm 

Keyrigger, I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you over this :wink: don't take me wrong. I know you are very knowledgeable with this stuff.. I was just saying that actually shooting the rifle isn't a big deal if you have a knack for shooting. Especially how the FT have the shooting aids.. Straps around their knees, Gloves, Pillows etc.. I wonder how the scores would change if the shooting was done straight up, like you would actually shoot real game when you're hunting.. From what i see the hardest thing with FT is dialing in the scope for different ranges.. To me that is something i never ever did.. I have always set my scopes up for a certain range (25 yards) and because i know how my guns shoot i know how much hold over to use at longer ranges to compensate.

Although FT is not something I drool over i can still appreciate what you guys do out there, and I will continue to come out to the Port Colborne matches when I can to shoot with you all.. All the guys i have met so far are all good guys EVEN if they get a little competitive LOL that's all part of the game right? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:54 pm 

Doesn't a "steep" learning curve mean it happens very quickly? Maybe we are saying the same thing and arguing about it. :?

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:57 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Well thanks for all the votes of confidence - Mac I'll let you choose which metal to have my name engraved on :o

'steep learning curve' means it is very difficult at the start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:08 pm 

rvd wrote:
How can there be a steep learning curve for PCP ? what's there to learn? how to adjust your scope wheel? lol staying steady while shooting applies to everygun not just pcp's or airguns.. I had NO experience with PCP's till shot some of your pcp's at my house last year and to be honest with you after shooting those high end guns i realized why you guys get the score that you do LOL they're so accurate and easy to shoot it's almost cheating..

Same thing with your steyr pistol keyrigger, standing offhand(one hand hold) i hit that 3/8" hole the first time i tried.. if somebody has any kind of knack for shooting they'll do fine with a rifle like the Steyr..

I think Supr was right, you're sweating LOL HAHA :lol:

No disrespect RVD, but you really don't have enough experience in FT to make statements like you have. I have read similar comments from you like this before, essentially you are discrediting the scores of the top FT shooters because of the equipment they use. We love to see you come out and shoot. I hope you will continue to do so. You will learn a lot as you do. But it's never a good idea to disrespect those who have worked hard to accomplish the level of success they have experienced (in whatever field that is being discussed). Winners are not made just because of equipment. I have also been guilty of making rash statements with little knowledge, and later realized how wrong I was. All of us have done the same.

Winners are a combination of equipment and talent. A top dog will only have a short term of glory. The champ may enjoy a few years of success at best, then usually he will be topped by someone else.

Shooting classes help level the playing field. No question any open class FT shooter would score less if trying to shoot a match standing and without the assistance of his shooting aids. Such a suggestion is only elementary. FT is not hunting. Hunting is not FT. Not all FT is the same even. There is the open class that allows all forms of assistance, the Limited class that allows little assistance, and the Hunter class that even places more restrictions yet. Study the rules, and particularly the last page that has the "quick reference chart". The open class cannot fairly be compared to the Limited or Hunter class. They both allow less shooting aids, and scores would be expected to be some lower in these classes. Just as PCP and Piston cannot be compared. PCP will always score higher when the same level of equipment quality and shooter is compared.

Right now even Tom has the feeling that "it's impossible to miss" with such a high end PCP like the Steyr. That is exactly the comment Tom made to me the first time he shot my Steyr. He honestly felt that way, but in all good conscience he was wrong. What experienced PCP shooters have found out it that the weakness is in the human side, and not usually the equipment. Once in a while a scope will fail, a batch of pellets is problematic, or the gun malfunctions. But when everything is running as it should mechanically, a human must still be the one to complete the puzzle. We fail as humans. We have bad days. Some days we are more shaky than others. Some days our mind is just not there. Some times we range a target inaccurately, and miss. There is not a large margin for error in intermediate and advanced FT. You should know that. Even though you say you know where your gun hits at 25 yards, your score did not show that you know your gun so well when you shot your first FT match. Most every FT shooter experiences that in the early matches. That is nothing to be ashamed of.

The best a person can do is rise to their potential. Wanting to best your best is the attitude of a true competitor.

Yes, the equipment will certainly help. Yes, there is a learning curve to calibrate the gun, scope, pellet, and the elements. But no.... no winner who has has gone up against a host of similar competitors (same class/experience/equipment), and been victorious deserves to be told it was only the gun he shot that warranted the victory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:23 pm 

CJN, you FT guys are real sensitive eh ? hahaha Ok, let's clear this up..

I agree with what you said about the person having to complete the puzzle, of course! Guns don't shoot themselves.. The shooter has to be sharp and on his game, his gun is a tool and without his skills the gun is useless BUT the gun does help.

CJN, what other comments have I made? If i offended anybody in other posts i rather clear this S$$T up instead of them thinking i'm some kind of hot head..

The comment you made about my 1st score.. Well i never claimed to be a FT expert.. To be honest with you I didn't even want to shoot that day but since all of you kept telling me to shoot I thought ok what the hell.. Now My rifle is a QB78deluxe which really in all honesty is half decent for what it is but compared to your FT rigs it's a complete and utter joke! haha I had the worst possible pellet selection that day(superpoints) which was the reason i didn't want to compete.. My gun shoots terrible with those pellets, it spirals the pellets BAD!! But still from what i was told I beat mostly everybody else's first time score (which i found hard to believe) who had way more expensive rifles than i had.. So what does that say ??

I'm not putting down FT at all, believe me man if I didn't have any interest in it I would have never came out and shot let alone look like an idiot shooting a cheap POS with the wrong pellets next to high end rifles and experienced guys.. So take that into consideration..

Like i said I totally appreciate what you guys do out there even if it isn't my thing, i'll still come out because hey, it's an excuse to shoot and shoot with other guys even though they might be a little over sensitive..

I think you're all good guys from what i've seen, i'm not trying to insult anyone.. Maybe you misunderstood me or maybe I should have worded my sentences a little more wise haha

Anyways... ya.... Did I forget something? :lol: