Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: AR15 lookalike rimfire
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:08 pm 

A buddy of mine had a rimfire that looked like an AR15 or M16. It was a couple of years ago. Anybody know of manufacturers who produce something other than the standard bolt .22???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:34 pm 

If that was the Squires Bingham, it became a prohib by OIC with the new gun laws.
Ruger 10/22 has lots of mods you can do to get the wicked 'Black Rifle' look, and have 25 and 50 round (legal) mags.
If you just want a semi auto - Marlin and old used Coeys would be on the list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:10 am 

alaus24 wrote:
A buddy of mine had a rimfire that looked like an AR15 or M16. It was a couple of years ago. Anybody know of manufacturers who produce something other than the standard bolt .22???

Slayair is correct - the .22 RF rifles that simply look like the AR15/M16 are restricted by virtue of their resemblance to the "scary" guns. I had one of the .22 RF AR copies many years ago, and while it looked cool, it did not feed reliably, and was somewhat of a disappointment in the accuracy department. Long gone - :lol: .

The Ruger 10/22 is a great little rifle, and as slayair indicates, lots of dress-up goodies for them. I haven't had a single problem, or complaint, with my 10/22 in the near 30 years I've had it.

If you are looking for something a little bit different, but with excellent accuracy potential, that is a real eye-catcher right out of the box, I'd suggest the Browning Buckmark rifle. I fell instantly in love with it the very first time I picked one up and shouldered it. They are available in a few different models, but the two most common are the sporter, which is equipped with open sights, and the target bull barrel, with no sights - designed to be used with a red dot or scope. I have the bull barrel model, and it has become my all time favourite plinker. IIRC, the current price is around $550.00.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:48 am 

oooh the Browning buckmark :drool: I got to shoot Supr's buckmark and I too instantly fell in love with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:35 am 
Admin-2-IC

Nice .... buckmark rifle .... I was so close to buy one a couple months
ago at Ellwood ...... damn price ....

You can get AR15 22 rimfire from Bushmaster ... under 1000 bucks
and it's availalble .....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:17 am 

alaus24 wrote:

The Squires Bingham never looked quite right to me. I much preferred, but never owned, the Jagar AP74:
I have no idea if these are prohib or available though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:03 pm 

slayair wrote:
If that was the Squires Bingham, it became a prohib by OIC with the new gun laws.

Suprmatic wrote:
Slayair is correct - the .22 RF rifles that simply look like the AR15/M16 are restricted by virtue of their resemblance to the "scary" guns.

Holy cow.

The Squires was not, is not, nor has it EVER been prohib OR restricted.

Anyone can have one with a regular PAL. It IS a piece of crap, but if you want one, you can buy it.

S&B M16/M16R/M1600, Armscor 1600 and the AP-15 ...All NON-restricted

Please people, check your facts before posting....we have enough stupid prohibitions without making up our own. Sheeeeeze.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:06 pm 

windbag wrote:
I much preferred, but never owned, the Jagar AP74:.

Thats the one I had, but couldn't think of the make/model. Armi-Jagar wasn't it? Like I said, looks cool, but not reliable.

Wrong Way wrote:
The Squires was not, is not, nor has it EVER been prohib OR restricted.

Anyone can have one with a regular PAL. It IS a piece of crap, but if you want one, you can buy it.

S&B M16/M16R/M1600, Armscor 1600 and the AP-15 ...All NON-restricted

Please people, check your facts before posting....we have enough stupid prohibitions without making up our own. Sheeeeeze.

I stand corrected :oops: , but remain a bit confused :? . I have seen guys advertising the above shown AP74 on Gunnutz, and described it as being restricted - by virtue of it looking like an AR15/M16. Have you noticed the posts that I refer to, and can you offer an explanation? Were some of these guns registered incorrectly? Any info appreciated, WW.
BTW, WW, you still got your Browning Buckmark rifle?

Last edited by Suprmatic on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:41 pm 

No worries. The Armi Jaeger AP74 is restricted, and it was due to the midless beuroctrats not liking how it looked in the firearms digest during the implementation of C68...and it just proves once again how STUPID and non-effective the firearms legislation is in this country.

Heres another example...as I stated, the Armscor 1600 is non restricted...it's a .22 wearing somewhat M16 type furniture, but at the end of the day, it's an S&B model 20 POS wearing pplastic furniture. Now, lets look at the Armscor AK22. EXACT SAME GUN....just wearing AK looking furniture....but at the end of the day, its a S&B model 20 POS wearing wood furniture: PROHIB.

Same gun, different coloured furniture, one Non-restricted, one prohib.

Told ya the laws here make no sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm 

Wrong Way wrote:
No worries. The Armi Jaeger AP74 is restricted, and it was due to the midless beuroctrats not liking how it looked in the firearms digest during the implementation of C68....

OK, so we were "partly" right :lol: . Some of them are restricted, some aren't :? .

Wrong Way wrote:
Heres another example...as I stated, the Armscor 1600 is non restricted...it's a .22 wearing somewhat M16 type furniture, but at the end of the day, it's an S&B model 20 POS wearing pplastic furniture. Now, lets look at the Armscor AK22. EXACT SAME GUN....just wearing AK looking furniture....but at the end of the day, its a S&B model 20 POS wearing wood furniture: PROHIB.

Same gun, different coloured furniture, one Non-restricted, one prohib..

:lol: Seems perfectly logical to me... :roll: :lol: :lol:

Wrong Way wrote:
Told ya the laws here make no sense.

You're preaching to the choir...... :hsmash :rolleyes: :lol:

Thanks for the clarification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:40 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
OK, so we were "partly" right :lol: . Some of them are restricted, some aren't :? .

Well...kinda....but it's really not "some" that are restricted.....it's just "one" (Excluding the actual AR15 lowers that shoot with either a .22 upper or a conversion)

However, my retort was mostly directed to the original statement by Slayair that they (the Squires Bingham) had been declared prohibited through Order In Council.

And BTW, Yes, I still have a buckmark rifle (two actually). I have the sporter that is all original, and by far my favorite carry rifle. I much prefer iron sights or, if absolutely required, low-profile reddots on the Buckmark (ie: Holosight XLP) on these .22's...the standard red-dots sit too high above the bore axis for an effective 10-25 yard plinker (too much hold-under/over estimation).

The other buckmark is a stripped down carbon. I'm looking at having Tac-Sol make me a 12" fluted barrel...should be a great pack gun then :)

Cheers,

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:56 pm 

If you want to have an experts opinion, try reading this-http://teapot.usask.ca/cdn-firearms/NFA/Senate.pre/s-xviia.995 by D Tomlinson. Its dry reading but it shows just how assinine the politicians can be!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:51 pm 

Suprmatic: after looking on the web youa re right. I think the gun to have is the Ruger 10/22. It has so many add ons ... One question. Is the 50 round magazine legal in here???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:03 pm 

The 25 and fifty rd mags are OK on a rimfire in Canada. No restrictions.