Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:52 am 

I've gotta place another order with D&L to get some scope mounts and a couple Gamo squirrel targets.
I also need to order some pellets for my HFT rig...my PCP QB.
What are a couple choices of pellet that they carry which I should try? (please be specific with size/weight)
Also, anything else HFT related I should consider ordering from them while I'm at it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:38 am 

Just a thought, but I know Ellwood Epps in Orillia has the Gammo squirrel.
It might save you some dough on shipping to check them out. IIRC they were 29.99 when I picked mine up last fall.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:00 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Pumpmaster wrote:
I've gotta place another order with D&L to get some scope mounts and a couple Gamo squirrel targets.
What are a couple choices of pellet that they carry which I should try? (please be specific with size/weight)
Also, anything else HFT related I should consider ordering from them while I'm at it?

What caliber? .177 or .22?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:37 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Gamo squirrel can also be found at Bass Pro Shop....
Just more options for you there pumpmaster.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:38 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

pump, have you thought about any JSB pellets, they are top of the line pellets and will probally shoot accurate in your rifle

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:41 pm 

jonny1o1 wrote:
pump, have you thought about any JSB pellets, they are top of the line pellets and will probally shoot accurate in your rifle
I have, but I noticed that the JSB Exacts come in a few sizes/weights, and I'm not sure which I should try.
BTW...my QB is .177.
Thanks for the heads up on the Gamo targets Parker_101_...that should save me some $$$ on shipping!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:14 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:

I believe your QB's are .177, right?

JSB (Exacts8.44/Heavy10.2/Express7.9) and Crosman Premier (lights7.9/heavy10.5) pellets have consistently been the best grouping pellets in almost all of my guns. In most cases either brand of the pellets produce nearly the same group size, but one is usually slightly better. On the rare occasion one is substantially better than the other. Rarer yet (at least for me), another brand performed better than the JSB or CP (although with others it may be frequent).

D&L had both JSB's and CP's last I checked. Not sure how current stock is.

I'm also not sure what velocity you are shooting at.

For me, usually if the air rifle is shooting under 15fpe I try the light pellets first (7.9g JSB Express/CP Lights or 8.44g JSB Exacts). I assume yours fits into this category.

For my PCP's which shoot over 15fpe, I use the heavies (10.2g JSB Heavy or 10.5g CP Heavy).

JSB also allows one to buy different pellet skirt outside diameters (4.50/4.51/4.52/4.53 etc.). Illingworth was always good about keeping stock of various skirt diameters. Other dealers may not be as varied. I have used 4.51, 4.52, and 4.53 only in my air rifles. One of my guns preferred 4.51, but most prefer 4.52 or 4.53.

I recommend you buying a pack or two of both brands and see which your gun prefers.

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:11 pm 

Thanks for the info CJN. My setup is estimated to shoot at around 880fps with the lighter pellets.
I guess I'll have to order some of the JSB Exacts with the 4.52 skirt and the Crosman Premiers at 7.9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:56 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Thanks for the info CJN. My setup is estimated to shoot at around 880fps with the lighter pellets.
I guess I'll have to order some of the JSB Exacts with the 4.52 skirt and the Crosman Premiers at 7.9.

Specialty Shooting has the best deal on Crosman Premiers that I have seen in Canada. Unfortunately they don't sell JSB's (as far as I know).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:16 pm 

I think that you will find that most of the seasoned FT guys use the pellet that groups best for them at the greatest distance, which would be 55 yards.

In the rifle I will be using this year (TX200) I found that Cpl's and Exact 4.53's were very close in performance at 55 yards. There is a slight edge for the Exacts but very slight. The Exact 4.52's opened up the group to well over and inch at 55 yards.

This of course is based on my specific barrel and power level 10.5fpe. I find that JSB heavies, CPH's and Barracudas perform well in my Logun Solo at 19fpe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:58 pm 

canshooter wrote:
I think that you will find that most of the seasoned FT guys use the pellet that groups best for them at the greatest distance, which would be 55 yards.

In the rifle I will be using this year (TX200) I found that Cpl's and Exact 4.53's were very close in performance at 55 yards. There is a slight edge for the Exacts but very slight. The Exact 4.52's opened up the group to well over and inch at 55 yards.

This of course is based on my specific barrel and power level 10.5fpe. I find that JSB heavies, CPH's and Barracudas perform well in my Logun Solo at 19fpe.

Good tip on the 55 yards. I should have clarified that.

I'm really surprised to hear of your group change between 4.52's to 4.53's. Wow! That barrel likes tight pellets! Have you checked the velocity of the 4.53's yet? The 4.52's were shooting at around 780-785 when it left here.

Are you still planning to use the Solo at the Port matches?