Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:19 pm 

I've seen a few of you use a rest to lay your rifle in when not shooting and to transport it from lane to lane. Since I will be going bi-podless this year, I want to get/make one. Any info on manufacture, where purchased etc. will be appreciated... :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:29 pm 

windbag wrote:
I've seen a few of you use a rest to lay your rifle in when not shooting and to transport it from lane to lane. Since I will be going bi-podless this year, I want to get/make one. Any info on manufacture, where purchased etc. will be appreciated... :)

Not sure of anyone who sells them here is Canada, but here is a link to a guy in the states that makes nice ones.

Maybe one of the FT guys here would take this style of carrier on as a project?

http://fieldtargets.com/id20.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:33 pm 

I got a fairly cheap archery case to transport my gun from lane to lane. There is lots of room in these cases, so I can just lay the gun on one side of the case and and cover it with the other side. I got one from LeBaran for somewhere around $25 a few years back, but stumbled into a used one at Erie Tracker that had nice foam padding in it for only $30.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:48 pm 

Windbag: 1/2 inch or 3/8 plywood a bottle of glue and 4 bolts with wing nuts and you are all set to go! I would break down by undoing the bolts that hold the uprights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:56 pm 

Thanks for the link CJN. It'd be nice to have one of every target in his gallery! :shock: Nice stuff!
Mac: I was thinking of a case but I know myself too well. It would only be a matter of time before I forgot to latch the case, picked it up and spilled my rifle onto the ground! :(
I was at LeBaron today and was thinking of attaching straps to this for a $30 solution:
We'll see... :) Thanks for the help guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:44 pm 

Windbag, a number of US competitors use that very tray. I could not find them when I was in a couple of stores in the states. Oh well. My soft case will still be my "Go To" method of carry.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:48 pm 

ummm not to sound like a noob but you have to put your gun in a case to go from lane to lane in hft?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 pm 

Gammawolf, when you are shooting FT you will not want to hold you rifle for the whole match. when your shooting partner or partners are taking their turn on a lane you will be recording scores and re-setting targets (unless you partner me, I dont knock many of em down)!

Some guys carry their guns and lay them down in cases others have the carry totes. The totes are great in fine weather but we often shoot in iffy weather and having a case protects your gun from rain snow and damp ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:18 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

alaus24 wrote:
Windbag: 1/2 inch or 3/8 plywood a bottle of glue and 4 bolts with wing nuts and you are all set to go! I would break down by undoing the bolts that hold the uprights.

I did this, but the problem is your carrying tote ends up weighting as much as your rifle!

I'd love it if one of our machinist friends (or anyone who has access to a break press) would make us some of these.

Please let me know if anyone has the equipment to bend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:16 am 

pirellip wrote:
Please let me know if anyone has the equipment to bend!

Actually, I have a 30" foot shear, and a 24" toe brake............. :wink: .

CJN wrote:
Maybe one of the FT guys here would take this style of carrier on as a project?

http://fieldtargets.com/id20.htm

Have you got some approximate dimensions? (length, width, height).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:34 am 

are we allowed to use a rifle sling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:27 am 

Supr, Dick had this on his site.

"The legs and 4" wide supports of the Guntote are 3/16" Aluminum, while the storage trays are 1/8" Aluminum."

The legs are just angled aluminum with rubber feet on the corners. The trays could be bent from a sheet of aluminum, or just two angles put together to make a try. The uprights are cut to fit the particular gun with regards to ground clearance and having the gun fit in the cutout section made for it. I have seen them and they are pretty slick.

I just find that carrying the gun in a soft case offers more protection and it is easier to carry. Also, if the gun is laying down, it will not fall down. The trick is to put it where you are sure no one will step on it. :shock: :x

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:02 am 

Gamma, refer back to what Canshooter wrote. You are not going to be able to do what is required, with a rifle slung over your shoulder. Yes, yes, you can go from lane to lane with the rifle on your back, but once you get there, you must find a spot to hang it, or put it on the ground, which is not a good option. We are suggesting that you use a soft case (a hard case can be used, too) to move the rifle from lane to lane, after all, you will be transporting the rifle to the range in a case, right?.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:03 pm 

got ya guys yes i will be carrying my gun in a hard case lol ill just use that or i have seen some decent cheap softcases at crappy tire that would be a lighter choice methinks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:41 pm 

I also use the soft style compound bow case like Mac does. I like it's ease of use, padded protection, and sun protection when the case sides are up. I don't like that I always have to lean the case/gun against a tree, in doing so I apply some pressure to the side of the scope. Likely it does not hurt anything, but it does concern me, and I use great caution, and always try to be careful that the angle I have leaned will not allow it to tip over.

I like many things about the After Hours Guntote, but the exposure of the gun and scope to the elements is one area of concern. The heat of the sun directly on the scope and PCP air tube/reservoir has been know to cause POI changes due to scope expansion and the increased air temperature inside the tube. The South Africans were the first shooters I have seen using stick on thermometers that attach to their air chambers.

Another option for those who don't use large side wheel scopes is the Plano AirGlide. This hard cases are for scope rifles, and allow the scope to be totally free from contact, unlike standard hard cases. These cases are flip open top and are quite slick for front A/O scoped guns.