Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 am 

The other posts regarding additional equipment for FT got me thinking about my first HFT event, and wanting to arrive prepared.
Once you've packed your rifle/scope and pellets, what else do you make sure to bring to be prepared and make the day as enjoyable as possible?
Even if it's something that seems obvious or insignificant, be sure to post as us newbs need to learn!
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:47 am 

Toilet paper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:43 am 

Bug spray (I am notorious for forgetting to put it on), after all, we are in the woods where we shoot. Hat, sunglasses, small tools (stock screws can come loose), extra Co2 cartridges (most of us use PCP rifles with the occasional springer), spare screws, washers, and the list can go on forever. You don't need to carry them with you while you are shooting, but to have them in a small tool box or other container, handy, takes to lot of worry off your mind.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:49 am 

Other than what you mentioned, there are a few things you should have.

If you are thinking of using a stool or bum bag to sit on, be sure to have that.

I always bring rain gear, even though I hardly ever use it; the time I forget, I will need it.

You should bring a hat, baseball or full rim, or whatever you like to wear. If you are in open sun, you will be very thankful for it.

Whatever power supply you are using, make sure you have plenty, unless you are shooting a springer, and some even bring a spring and tune kit with them for their springer.

Bring something to eat and drink. Many bring water or Gatoraid type drinks to carry on the course. At the Port club, bottled water will always be available for free. I always bring an orange or some other fruit or vegetable that I can eat at the break. Some bring sandwiches and a full lunch. I only eat the fruit during the match and eat lunch after. I do not like the feeling of food in my stomach when I am shooting.

Clothes should be layered, so you can keep taking layers off and stay comfortable. Shivering is not a good thing when you are trying to hold steady for a shot.

Most of these things I just put in a duffel bag that I throw in the trunk. Having a small tool kit to service your rifle and keep your pellets etc.,in, is also a good idea.

I may have forgotten some things, but the others will chip in as well if I did.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:26 pm 

This is the exact info I was hoping for guys...keep it coming! Keyrigger's suggestion of bug spray is a perfect example of something that would easily be forgotten that could make a big difference in your day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:42 pm 

would a lawn chair be needed or is there generally someplace to sit? BBQ?Its a funny thing, what ever I do, food preparation always seem to rear its ugly head!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:59 am 

alaus24 wrote:
would a lawn chair be needed or is there generally someplace to sit? BBQ?Its a funny thing, what ever I do, food preparation always seem to rear its ugly head!!
Haha, that's just a guy thing. Any time we can make an excuse for a BBQ we take it!
I'm assuming a folding chair is a good idea, especially if enough shooters show up that you have to wait for your turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:01 am 

I always bring a small folding chair so that I can sit to score and set the strings while the other person or persons in my group are shooting. Back at the clubhouses, there is always way more than enough seating for everyone.

I have never even considered a BBQ, because a group of us head out to Tim Horton's once everything is cleaned up. We eat and shoot the breeze, sometimes for hours; for me this is one of the high lites of the day and a great way to finish. The break after 30 shots is only about 15 minutes, so a BBQ would be tough. I eat a large breakfast at about 8:00 AM and then just fruit and water until the Horton's pow-wow.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:20 pm 

You know, I think it would be a really good idea if we arranged to have a shoot and BBQ for one of the matches... Do either Elmira or Port Colborne have a BBQ available? Just a thought!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:25 pm 

I am pretty sure Port has a BBQ on the patio, but I would have to see if it works well. It is outside all the time, covered, but not real well. I might have to clean out the spider webs etc. to get it going. I will look into it.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:46 pm 

At our shoots there is usually a BBQ on the go (free burger or steak roll in with the shooting fee), but I normally have a Mars bar or energy bar and a drink with me too.

I also usually have a spare gun with me too, when I shoot FT my main gun is an Air Arms Shamal so I have my AA s410 as a back up and the other way about when I shoot HFT.

I have my shooting bag too, it has a load of tins of pellets, allan keys, an adjustable spanner, gun grease, sillicon oil, a sillicon cloth. Also in there at the mo is a big knife, my bi pod, night vision, camo gloves and a cap with a vail on it (also carry it when I'm hunting). There will be waterproofs, a change of boots, usually a dry top too.

My air tank is in the car too and a first aid kit... Always have my SOG on my belt too.

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix/

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix08