Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:49 am 

My son got a free sample of industrial concrete floor marking tape at a trade show over the winter, and he asked if I could use it. This stuff is used to mark off aisles, or restricted floorspace areas in an industrial environment. I have seen similar stuff in use before, and it stands up to lift truck traffic and other harsh conditions. It also has to have a good quality adhesive, because I have seen it stick to some pretty grungy concrete.

I cut some circles out and applied them to my Outers airgun target paddles. I finally got a chance to test it today. IMO, this stuff stands up better than anything I've tried on the paddles yet. I've tried the paper dots, and it only takes a few shots to obliterate them, and paint tends to flake off quicker than expected. This stuff will show about a 1/4" mark where a .177 pellet hits, but the edges are very crisp - almost as if cut by a knife - even with two holes touching, the edges remain quite crisp.

I'm not sure if it is available in any colours other than bright yellow.

I'll try to get a pic up later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:30 pm 

Is there any manufacturers info/brand name on the inside of the roll?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:58 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Might want to check out places like Brafasco for that sort of thing.... AISLE MARKING TAPE ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:12 pm 

If anyone has not seen the tape that a few of us are using for making the contrast colour for the KZ, as myself or Mac to have a look at it. This transparent tape was available at some dollar store in the Port Colborne area, and to our surprise, was cheap. I figure that I will have better than 5 years of covering the KZ's for about 2 bucks. It is also available in other colours, too. I think Canshooter has it in bright yellow, whereas mine and Mac's are red. There is nothing on the face of this planet that is going to hold up on a 3/8" KZ, no matter how good it may seem, lol.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:36 pm 

The pics of a couple of the paddles on the swinger target. All strikes are .177 CPH at approximately 17 FPE. Note the two different size splats. The larger ones were the result of shooting from 35 yards, the smaller ones from 55 yards. Notice even on the outer edge splats, the tape remains quite cleanly "cut".
windbag wrote:
Is there any manufacturers info/brand name on the inside of the roll?

Unfortunately, no. It had a business card taped to it, and I think it got tossed in the round file.
Keyrigger wrote:
There is nothing on the face of this planet that is going to hold up on a 3/8" KZ, no matter how good it may seem, lol.

You are quite correct, but I am wondering if this stuff tends not to flake or tear off like some materials, you may have a corona effect of colour around the outer edge of the KZ from the tape remaining on the paddle - kinda like an eclipse. Couldn't hurt to try it on an FT at one of the practice sessions just for the sake of curiosity. It sure works good on these FTs (fun targets - lol).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:36 pm 

That tape could hold promise on large KZ's, but for the small ones, after as few as three shots, all colour is gone, even with the tape being on the back of the faceplate. A total reworking of the geometry of our targets would have to be done, in order to use a bullet proof covering, like lexan, over the coloured paddle. A few brave and foolish souls have already tried that and have had the pellet strikes on their noggins to show them their foolishness. This would be a total rework of the paddle, so that it is angled down to deflect the path of the pellet. That way, you could paint a paddle once, cover it with lexan, and the colour would stay there for a very long time. I do know what you mean by a halo effect, but it would not last for much longer than a few more shots.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:59 pm 

Has anyone tried powercoating the paddles? with a sandblast prep and a good shot of toughened powder coat they may hold up, if anyone wants to try i have access to the equipment at "government job" rates.....

Cr 2240 (lightly modded)
Cr 2100 (in pieces)
Marksman 1792 (POS)
QB-78 .177 (495 FPS) W/ Leapers 3-9X40AO/MD
Gamo '68' .177
Hatsan Model 25 pistol, .177