Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 am 

This one is interesting.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1zkXguyE ... zkXguyEU6c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:07 pm 

Logtec wrote:

All the o-rings in the few lighters i bought, were too small they would just rip when stretched.
So i used contact cement; with a toothpick, i went around where the o-ring would sit and let it dry.

To extend the bolt:
instead of using a nail, I bought a "brass hook and eyelet"(home depot-$1.50),
Cut it to size, soldered it on to the bolt, then filed it down to match "the bolts OD".

pic below: the extended finished bolt

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 61.35 KiB | Viewed 12984 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:19 pm 

Does anyone have a source for these in North America . Preferably North of the 49th parallel .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magazine-for- ... 1235982545?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGj5pMn ... AAAAAAAAAA

http://www.maxhunter.pl/en/crosman-mag.html

Attachments:
MAXHUNTER.JPG
MAXHUNTER.JPG [ 28.42 KiB | Viewed 12397 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:42 am 

Thanks to all those who've posted useful information. Got my first Crosman, a 2240, a few days ago and I've been busy making spare time to mod it in ever since. All sorts of sites including CAF have provided great tips. Here's what I've done so far. Got a HiPAC coming soon, so the sometimes-empty Crosman CO2 cartridges won't be irritating me for much longer.

- Made a plastic rear tube cap (a harder plastic than Delrin called Ertalyte, but only because I'm out of Delrin rod) for mounting the same wire stock I use on my Brocock Atomic. It's a snug fit into the tube. Holes drilled and tapped for the Crosman screws. Most of the length drilled to 3/8" for a snug fit of the aluminum rod. A 1/8" hole drilled vertically just behind the steel tube and the end of the wire stock carved to match, so it's easy to set it vertical and it stays there. Inside drilled out for the hammer spring.

- Crosman steel breech added. Not a 'mod' exactly, just replacing the incredibly delicate and cheap plastic one before ever using the pistol. Does anyone know if there's a benefit to elongating the probe with the Crosman steel breech pin, which is also steel? The small part of the probe is about 3mm long. I replaced the O-ring with a slightly fatter one I had around, as there was an obvious leak from the probe when testing with a bit of tissue while shooting. No leak now. But would pushing the pellet further help something?
(Edit: after posting this I took a look down the back of the barrel in good light and realise that the probe is not pushing the pellet deeply enough to clear the port. It's short about 2.5mm. So next time do open it up I'll be adding 3mm to the probe. No point having pressure hit the bottom edge of the pellet skirt.)

- Drilled a 1/8" hole in the rear of the bolt and glued in a 1/8" neodymium magnet. The bolt as-stock kept falling forward if I tipped the pistol forward, rather annoyingly, so the magnet sticks lightly to the hammer pin and prevents the hammer going anywhere until I push it forward. These little magnets from Lee Valley Tools are so handy for so many things!

- Filled the grip panels mostly full with hot glue. A trivial thing, but the hollow-sounding cheapness of the plastic grip panels just bothered me too much. Filling with a long stick each of hot glue makes them quiet in handling.

- Clipped the spring about 1 turn and stretched it a bit, then put a used .22"LR brass casing on the upper, cut end of the spring after polishing it. As folks say, this helps ease trigger pressure enormously, and coupled with polishing all the meeting faces in the trigger/sear group the trigger is very comfortably light.

- Put in the 18" barrel (.22") I got from Hacked2Pieces a while back. A bit of a loose fit in the breech, so I used a 1/4" wide strip of aluminum muffler tape to shim along the top and that made for a snug fit.

- Used a Dremel grinding bit to carve away a few grams from each side of the hammer, in aid of reducing wasted gas and extending the shot count. With the right preload on the spring and the hammer weight reduced I ought to be able to get quite a few shots per fill. Polished the hammer to make it move more easily.

- Filed down the heavy stampings along the right side of the main tube. I've always hated words printed all over things where they're not relevant. I really don't need to read a cautionary statement every single time I use the pistol. A few quick coats of epoxy 'appliance' paint and some heat and it's more or less adequately painted for now... though it seems I didn't bake it long enough and it's somewhat soft. I'll do a proper paint job sometime when I'm getting 'finished' with modding. (Yeah, like that ever happens.) Polished and painted the barrel band as well, getting rid of the ugly casting seam.

- Mounted a Burris Fastfire III red dot sight. Very compact sighting solution. Much easier for my old eyes than open sights and helps keep the weight to a minimum for this very lightweight carbine.

When I receive the HiPAC I'll probably make a second barrel band of some sort, as I'll be using one extension for more air. Going to shroud the rather long and skinny-looking barrel all the way back to the breech with a length of epoxy painted aluminum tubing I have which is just under 3/4", exactly the same as the steel breech. Hoping to make a nice clean line all the way from back to front with the same diameter. Without a high-rise breech I'll have to mill out the rear section to have it lay flush on the air tube.

Here's mine so far:

Attachment:
2240_mods.jpg
2240_mods.jpg [ 62.74 KiB | Viewed 12078 times ]

rrdstarr is sending me an RVA to try out, so I'll try tweaking the velocity curve a bit with hammer spring preload.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:38 pm 

I have just about finished my 2240 mods. It's got an after market breech with a weaver rail. I would like opinions on a red dot sight. Most common airgun red dots are a 5 MOA, which in my humble opinion would suck at 30 yards. Why would I want a 2 or 3 inch group when this gun can shoot groups the size of a dime at 30 yards? That said, quality low MOA sights are expensive, so I found a reasonable sweet spot. The Vortex Sparc II with a 2 MOA. It's just over $200, which is still expensive, but....it has a lifetime warranty, and a good one at that. It is the low 2 MOA which I seek. I can also easily mount this on other guns I have. So the money would never be wasted. However, I want to know what my fellow airgun enthusiasts think about this.

My big problem is I had originally planned on Williams open sights for my weaver rail. But having put this together, I don't like the idea of my front sight so close to the rear, and the Williams just doesn't look nice on this really cool looking mod. I don't have much choice but to use the barrel band front sight pin, which is way too close. I should've planned this better, and I would've put on Dovetail instead.

Please do not recommend scopes. I just don't like scopes on pistols.

I appreciate the input. Thanks in advance....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:21 pm 

RACKnRAIL wrote:
I have just about finished my 2240 mods. It's got an after market breech with a weaver rail. I would like opinions on a red dot sight. Most common airgun red dots are a 5 MOA, which in my humble opinion would suck at 30 yards. Why would I want a 2 or 3 inch group when this gun can shoot groups the size of a dime at 30 yards? That said, quality low MOA sights are expensive, so I found a reasonable sweet spot. The Vortex Sparc II with a 2 MOA. It's just over $200, which is still expensive, but....it has a lifetime warranty, and a good one at that. It is the low 2 MOA which I seek. I can also easily mount this on other guns I have. So the money would never be wasted. However, I want to know what my fellow airgun enthusiasts think about this.

My big problem is I had originally planned on Williams open sights for my weaver rail. But having put this together, I don't like the idea of my front sight so close to the rear, and the Williams just doesn't look nice on this really cool looking mod. I don't have much choice but to use the barrel band front sight pin, which is way too close. I should've planned this better, and I would've put on Dovetail instead.

Please do not recommend scopes. I just don't like scopes on pistols.

I appreciate the input. Thanks in advance....

Hi RnR, this red dot is popular amongst my Crosman Forum bros..It has a 3 moa dot size w/c they say is more than adequate..

Go for the 1" tube version, you will find centering the dot much easier than if you use a 30mm one..

http://www.amazon.com/Millett-1X20-Rifl ... et+red+dot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:55 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not sure if I can find that in Canada. There's some weird law about shipping scopes from USA to Canada. Amazon.ca does not have that sight.
I did a search for in Canada, but didn't find one. Yeah, the size is nice, and the price is better. I don't know about 3 MOA though. 2 is definitely better. It will give much tighter groups.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:27 am 

I'm not sure about this smaller dot for tighter groups thing. A smaller dot only becomes critical if the target is obscured completely by the dot. Then you're guessing where the target is and of course that's difficult. But if you can see at least the outside edges of the target, just place whatever sized dot in the middle of that and shoot. A bigger red dot does not change the inherent accuracy of your gun, and the centre of the dot is the centre of the dot, regardless of whether it is a 1MOA dot or an 8MOA DOT, as some of them are when designed for closer range work in difficult lighting. Not judging, just saying this based on experience with my Burris Fastfire III which has a 3MOA dot. It's perfectly practical for decent accuracy out to at least 30 metres. I've made a few very good shots with it out as far as 40 metres, though I don't get opportunities to shoot that far to often.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:12 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
I'm not sure about this smaller dot for tighter groups thing. A smaller dot only becomes critical if the target is obscured completely by the dot. Then you're guessing where the target is and of course that's difficult. But if you can see at least the outside edges of the target, just place whatever sized dot in the middle of that and shoot. A bigger red dot does not change the inherent accuracy of your gun, and the centre of the dot is the centre of the dot, regardless of whether it is a 1MOA dot or an 8MOA DOT, as some of them are when designed for closer range work in difficult lighting. Not judging, just saying this based on experience with my Burris Fastfire III which has a 3MOA dot. It's perfectly practical for decent accuracy out to at least 30 metres. I've made a few very good shots with it out as far as 40 metres, though I don't get opportunities to shoot that far to often.

Hi Gerard..A smaller dot definetly helps out to longer ranges..I have Burris FastFire too btw..

RacknRail a 3 moa red dot is already good enough..This is my 2 moa red dot, it is an Aimpoint Micro T1 w/c I mounted on my Crosman 2400kt..Yes a carbine that is just $100 something in the US..Call it an overkill because I bought it for almost $800 (along w/ my first Bushy Elite), Larue mounts included..I bought it in the US and had one of my cousins handcarry it for me.

For the price of the Vortex red dot I suggest you go for UltraDots because some of their models are really designed for pistols..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:13 pm 

I've called around a few local gun shops and they all stressed the importance of dot size. The higher the MOA the bigger the dot. So in my humble opinion a 1 MOA would be the best, and obviously the most expensive. A 2 MOA is the sweet spot for price. Next I am looking at quality, overall size/weight, ease of use, etc. I have other guns that I could always put something I'm not 100% pleased with on, but why waste the money? I want to do this right the first time.

The Ultadot brand does not seem to be available in Canada. As you probably know, USA will not ship such dangerous items to Canada. lol Sad, but true.
If someone finds a Canadian site that I somehow missed, please let me know.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I appreciate it. I am not done yet, so please keep posting any new ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:42 pm 

I've not looked at a 1MOA red dot, didn't know they existed. But from the smallest dot setting on the Fastfire III I'd say 2MOA would be the smallest I'd want to go with a red dot, and that may even be too small. By 'smallest' I mean dimmest, as the brighter settings flare out in the eye creating an apparent enlargement of the dot. Not nearly so badly as with the dot in my old Crosman red dot, where it's like shining a dollar store red laser on something and lighting up a significant percentage of the target at 10 feet, but still the brightest setting on the Burris looks quite big. But in bright sunlight that fades down to the point where it's visible but much smaller-looking. Obviously one clicks through to whichever brightness is suited to given conditions. The 4th click on mine is too dim for sunlit conditions, just can't see it, where it's slightly too bright and apparently large for dusk or pre-dawn light. It's perfect for generally cloudy/rainy lighting or daytime shade at the target.

I'd suggest not calling around but actually going to a couple of gun shops and asking to look through a couple of their red dots. Take them to the store window and look outside. Look back through the store. Doesn't have to be on a gun, but hold it at arm's length as you would with it mounted on a pistol and really get a sense of what the various settings look like. I really like the wide range of dot brightness (and apparent size) with my VISM green dot sight... if only it would hold zero I'd be using that one, but it's a piece of junk. The laser element is actually alright, just the green dot seems to jump around slightly from session to session.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:31 pm 

RACKnRAIL wrote:
I've called around a few local gun shops and they all stressed the importance of dot size. The higher the MOA the bigger the dot. So in my humble opinion a 1 MOA would be the best, and obviously the most expensive. A 2 MOA is the sweet spot for price. Next I am looking at quality, overall size/weight, ease of use, etc. I have other guns that I could always put something I'm not 100% pleased with on, but why waste the money? I want to do this right the first time.

The Ultadot brand does not seem to be available in Canada. As you probably know, USA will not ship such dangerous items to Canada. lol Sad, but true.
If someone finds a Canadian site that I somehow missed, please let me know.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I appreciate it. I am not done yet, so please keep posting any new ideas.

RnR I know how you feel..It is not illegal to take optics out from Canada though, I have already done it a couple of times..Everytime a relative comes home I make it a point to let her/him handcarry optics or hi end flashlights for me.

Gerard is right I have never heard of a 1 moa red dot and he is right again about the brightness setting..The dimmer it is the smaller it will appear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:17 pm 

This is a terrible picture, but I thought to upload something to show what the dimmest setting on my 3MOA Fastfire III looks like in indoor lighting from 7 metres. Hard to focus with a camera the way the eye focuses. Doesn't have the same depth of field. Anyway, the black dot on the paper beside the red dot (which is at the 4th click, smallest/dimmest setting) is 15mm diameter. I can easily put every pellet inside that black dot without touching the edges from 7 metres, leaning on the bathroom door frame. At this distance the red dot looks about the same size as the black dot, with my eye as well as with the camera. If 7 metres were my zero range, I'd just cover the dot with the dot and fire. But my zero is further out, so I put the red dot so its bottom edge is just overlapping the top of the black dot by a few millimetres. Hits centre if I hold the shot properly.

Perhaps because I'm used to the 'area hold' of 10 metre air pistol competition this sort of dot size question isn't terribly important. With Olympic style AP the front sight blade is typically the same size as the whole of the black blob on the target, which is the area from 7 points inwards. Just because most of the sight blade covers everything from 7 to 10 does not mean that my shots will spray everywhere from 7 to 10. Just holding the blade so that it aligns with the black blob is sufficient, and that applies right up to the world champion shooters. Of course not everyone uses centre aim. I prefer it for AP, but the majority actually aim somewhere below the black, at some self-defined distance down from it, and sight their pistols so that holding in that area should give them a 10. Seems to me a similar method applies to red dot shooting. Just maintain alignment and the 10's will take care of themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:57 pm 

I have heard of 1 MOA. I believe, but not certain that military grade red dots like Eotech have 1 MOA available. There's probably other companies, but they're very expensive. Definitely not necessary for my needs. It would be complete overkill. The 2 MOA though....well....read on.

Just FYI I bought the Votex Sparc II 2 MOA today. It's already sighted in, and all I can say is AMAZING! I have not one regret. This sight was shooting a dime group at 10 meters within 10 mins after mounting. I am 100% pleased to no end with this sight. Yes, 2 MOA rocks! I'll upload a picture of the complete modded gun when I get time.

I can't remember if I mentioned what I've done, as in mods, but in short....BNM multi-shot breech, and shroud kit. Put a 12" barrel. A better trigger spring, and a little polish to the sear, after market power adjuster, and now my Vortex red dot. I have some grips being specially made as we speak by a first nations master wood carver, whom I have the pleasure of knowing, and having as a neighbor. He is custom making the grips to my hand, which is absolutely awesome. The grips will be my last addition.

I will say this for anyone who's thinking of the BNM breech. They are extremely well designed. They go on perfectly. Extremely good machine work. Sergio has paid a lot of attention to the finer details. The only negative thing I have to say is not BNM's fault. The Maurader magazines are complete crap! I might even have stayed single shot if I knew they sucked that badly. Not only does the internal spring come off rendering the mag useless, but they are pellet picky, and they still jam frequently, if you're not careful. I have modded the clip too. It can be made better by slightly bending the spring inside to an angle so it doesn't slip off as easily. I've also shimmed off some plastic around the exit hole, so it keeps from sticking up there. IMO, it's the gun's weakest link. Aside from that one flaw, I love my gun, and it looks so cool. Very light considering.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Great forum, great people!

Edit: sorry, it would've been aprrox. 10 yards I was shooting at. I have no needs of tall stories. We all know how accurately these guns can shoot. Again, I love it! The sight is so easy to adjust anyways. If I decide to sight in at 15 meters, no biggie. I can't tell you how much I like this sight. I'm just ex-sighted :/ I know, bad...lol

Last edited by RACKnRAIL on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:25 am 

Oops, forgot to post the picture!
Attachment:
3MOA_dot.JPG
3MOA_dot.JPG [ 53.47 KiB | Viewed 11869 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next