Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:33 am 

There are some very important things that firearms/air gun owners need to consider regarding the upcoming election. We can choose to give our votes to Mr. Harper who, armed with a majority in parliament will scrap the long gun registry and who will not seek to ban handguns or semi-automatics. Or we can choose to keep the gun registry and face the very real possibility of giving up our handguns and our semi-automatics and God only knows what else. All it would take is one more asshat to shoot some kid with an air pistol and our airguns would also be threatened under a Dion government.

We all like to complain about governments that don't respond to our needs and write bad laws based on knee jerk reactions. Now we have an opportunity to do something. Consider this:

In 2006, the voter turnout was around 65%. That 65% of eligible voters cast approximately 15,000,000 ballots. There are approximately 1,900,000 gun owners in Canada plus who only knows how many airgun owners. Assuming that 65% of them voted, that's at least 1.3 million votes cast by gun owners. Had that other 600,000 or so gun owners bothered to get off their asses and vote, those additional votes could have resulted in a Conservative MAJORITY. In fact, a shift of only 15,000 votes over a few key close ridings would have done the trick. My point is this: GET OUT AND VOTE. If you're not registered, GET REGISTERED. If you're going to be away on the 14th....VOTE IN AN ADVANCE POLL. I've worked on many election campaigns and this is how parties and candidates live and die. It's called GOTV - GETTING OUT THE VOTE. The winners and losers are determined based on who does the better job of getting out their supporters. If firearms owners and airgun owners get out in mass, we can have a dramatic effect on the end result. Not voting is the same thing as voting to give up your guns and to surrender your rights.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:05 am 

Mantis wrote:
Not voting is the same thing as voting to give up your guns...

Well said Mantis! Even though it can be frustrating for those of us living in the Tree Hugging GTA, I still get out there on election day!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:12 pm 

windbag wrote:
Mantis wrote:
Not voting is the same thing as voting to give up your guns...

Well said Mantis! Even though it can be frustrating for those of us living in the Tree Hugging GTA, I still get out there on election day!

Same here. Voting isn't just a right, it's a responsibility as far as I'm concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:40 pm 

Here we go....Dion is calling for a ban on semi-automatic "assault weapons". What a moron.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... ection2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:43 pm 

they can have my guns, I'm not voting for Harper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:01 pm 

JessF wrote:

That statement is just an invitation to get flamed..... :rolleyes: :hsmash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:04 pm 
Admin-2-IC

.... LOL .....

They can NOT have my guns, regardless who wins the election .....

I will vote + all my family make sure to vote the same .... lol....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:11 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

From what I am hearing and reading, it is the younger generation, especially males that are not exercising their right to vote. Regardless whom you vote for get your assses out and mark a card come the 14th. :evil: Well okay not everyone. :? If going with DingDong's lieberals. Stay home that day :P :P :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:02 pm 

As well as the tory thinking about firearms, what is the one thing you havn't heard for the last two years since they got into power???
I havn't heard any crying and talk of separation from Quebec!!!! They realized they were no longer going to be treated like a whining child and given everything they wanted to keep quiet. That alone is worth the vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:38 am 

i hope and pray that Harper gets a majority and well now you know who i'm voting for lol , i also live in the GTA and also hope that the conservatives win no seats here, why you ask? am i crazy, well i think Toronto needs a good swift kick in the buttock to knock it off its high horse and if there are no tories here do you really think Harper will give a damn about Toronto? seeing as the west is becoming the powerhouse of Canada becuase of the oil sands etc. im hoping that by the time the next election comes around that most of the liberal fools in T.O. will change their mind and we will get more conservatives elected in toronto which would be a lot better in the long run in my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:18 pm 

JessF wrote:

Let me guess... Harper is a Ultra right wing neo-conservative with a secret agenda and a lust for kitten blood right?

I really don't see what's more important that the civil right of owning guns. I mean you loose your guns and the government is free to massacre the people. Maybe not now, maybe not in 100 years, but all it takes is for a dire situation and a power hungry government for it to happen.

It's no coinicidence that Mao, Stalin and Hitler all disarmed the people after registering their guns.

And Harper's government is not bad actually. I agree with about 80% of the stuff they do and stand for. The other parties, I can't fnd one thing I agreee with them on.

Swiss Arms Back Special

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:00 pm 

More motivation to get out and vote Conservative on October 14:

http://www.thestar.com/FederalElection/article/500982

Voting Liberal, NDP, Green Party of BQ (for those in Quebec) means voting to ban handguns and semi-automatics. They claim that they only want to ban "assault weapons". Of course, someone forgot to tell them that those have been prohibited since 1978. Then again, the top of the Liberal hit list is the Ruger Mini-14. Can you believe that they consider the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle to be an assault rifle? :lol: Utter morons.

Make no mistake, if the Liberals win, they will ban every single firearm that they think looks scary. That includes anything with a pistol grip, a flash eliminator, a bayonet lug or designed for a "high capacity magazine". Kiss your SKSs, Norinco M14s, Mini-14s, CZ858s, Tavors, AR-15s, etc goodbye if the Liberals win. They can do it without holding a vote in parliament, all it takes is another Order In Council and it's done. No appeal, no court challenges, nothing but surrender of our firearms.

On the other hand, give Prime Minister Harper a well deserved majority and the gun registry is gone. It's finished. All that money will be spent on helping the police to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals and stopping illegal firearms at the border. Even better, it provides law abiding firearms owners with an insurance policy of sorts. With no long gun registry, any future Liberal government will have to start all over again. Registration has always been the first step towards confiscation. The Liberals, NDP and Green Party want to take the next step. They want our handguns and our semi-automatics. Maybe next time it'll our pump action shotguns or our lever action rilfes. Who knows. Let's not find out. Give Harper his majority and we take a step forward for a change. We can push the antis back to square one.

THINK ABOUT IT. GET OUT AND VOTE ON OCTOBER 14. VOTE FOR YOUR RIGHTS. VOTE TO KEEP YOUR GUNS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:14 pm 

here here, bravo and well said mantis!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:13 am 

Too bad Harper isn't the pro-guns either. "Supporting" guns for him is more like a tradition that will help him get votes, than a value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:51 pm 

Muhamor wrote:
Too bad Harper isn't the pro-guns either. "Supporting" guns for him is more like a tradition that will help him get votes, than a value.

He may not be all that pro but he certainly isn't anti. He's done as much as he can for firearms owners without a majority behind him. He'll eliminate the long gun registry right away with a majority in the house. As it is right now, the Conservatives are the only party that hasn't declared war on legal gun ownership.