Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Weighing Pellets
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:09 am 

I have read that many shooters will weigh their pellets before a competition. I assume that sorting a tin of pellets by weight will result in a few different groups of pellets....Ok, now what? :lol:
Assuming you have a group of pellets that all weigh 7.90gr, and a group that all weigh 7.91gr, would you simply use the 7.90gr pellets for one competition, then use the 7.91gr pellets for the next competition?
I know the idea is to get the most consistency possible between shots, but I was hoping some of you could explain what/how you prepare your "competition ready" pellets.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:19 am 

I never normally bothered weighing my pellets but decided to chech a tin... wish I hadn't bothered. I found there was a big spread, upto .6 of a grain. not normally enough to make a big change in POI but sometimes the difference between a hit and a miss.

I just shoot them right out the tin (guess thats why I miss so many) if I had the time I would batch them all and use them that way

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix/

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:42 am 

Photoguy2910 wrote:
I I found there was a big spread, upto .6 of a grain.
What pellets were these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:30 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Photoguy2910 wrote:
What pellets were these?

Hi Tom.

For most matches I do not weigh my pellets. For the big matches I do, but quite frankly, I'm not convinced it makes a real difference in my score. It is just a ritual.

That said, I use JSB Exact or Exact Heavy and they are usually very good quality. There are not too many that are runts from the factory (smaller outside diamater) like the Crosman Premier pellets have had a problem with. If I switched brands I would do a fair amount of weighing initially to see how they were weighing up.

The difference of impact from the lightest to the heaviest in a normal batch of Exacts will usually be around a .250 inch at 55 yards difference. The shooters movement and the wind will erase the visual effects of the weight difference. Since we will have a 1.50 inch or larger KZ at that distance I am not worried about it.

With Exacts, I usually have a tin for 8.3, 8.5, and 8.5g pellets (a tin for each weight). If in the very rare case a pellet falls outside of these sizes I will toss if it is way out, or if 8.2 or 8.6 I will include it with the closest weight tin. Quite simple.

It is always a wise move to look at the head and skirt of each pellet. If you see any damage or compression, I would not shoot it. Such damage or deformities can drastically change the point of impact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:42 pm 

I just shoot the pellets right out of the tin - no sorting or weighing.
I figure that any minor deviations in the pellets will make little difference with me doing the shooting..... :lol: .
I may get an occasional "flyer", but I know for a fact that I am not so rock steady that I can say without doubt, that it was the fault of the pellet, and not the shooter.

I know some folks that not only weigh their pellets, they also sort them by diameter. IE - using JSB 4.51 pellets as an example:
4.510; 4.511; 4.512; 4.513; 4.514; 4.515; 4.516; 4.517; 4.518; 4.519

They may be grouped, such as:
4.510 & 4.511; 4.512 & 4.513; etc. or
4.510 through 4.514; 4.515 through 4.519 or
Any combination in between.

These groups are then further sorted by weight into sub-groups - ie:
4.510 & 4.511, 8.44 gr; 4.510 & 4.511, 8.45 gr; etc.

I have heard of some folks that will go through an entire sleeve of ten tins of pellets and wind up with only one tin of pellets that they will use for competition. The rest are either repackaged and sold, or used for general plinking.

Quite frankly, waaay more work than I care to get involved in for the remote possibility of a an extra point or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:18 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
I just shoot the pellets right out of the tin - no sorting or weighing.
I figure that any minor deviations in the pellets will make little difference with me doing the shooting..... :lol: .
I may get an occasional "flyer", but I know for a fact that I am not so rock steady that I can say without doubt, that it was the fault of the pellet, and not the shooter.

I know some folks that not only weigh their pellets, they also sort them by diameter. IE - using JSB 4.51 pellets as an example:
4.510; 4.511; 4.512; 4.513; 4.514; 4.515; 4.516; 4.517; 4.518; 4.519

They may be grouped, such as:
4.510 & 4.511; 4.512 & 4.513; etc. or
4.510 through 4.514; 4.515 through 4.519 or
Any combination in between.

These groups are then further sorted by weight into sub-groups - ie:
4.510 & 4.511, 8.44 gr; 4.510 & 4.511, 8.45 gr; etc.

I have heard of some folks that will go through an entire sleeve of ten tins of pellets and wind up with only one tin of pellets that they will use for competition. The rest are either repackaged and sold, or used for general plinking.

Quite frankly, waaay more work than I care to get involved in for the remote possibility of a an extra point or two.

Wow Len...too many numbers! LOL.

One important item: all pellets that you are sorting should be kept with the same size pellets.

For example, if you choose 4.52 JSB Exacts, you should only sort 4.52's by weight. If 4.53's, only 4.53's, etc. Keep same sizes and weights together.

I assume that was what Len was explaining with all of the numbers above. Since the back of every Exact tin has their diamater (4.50/4.51/4.52/4.53) then it is not necessary to sort by third decimal.

In the end...not really necessary if using JSB's and if their quality remains as it has been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:22 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Photoguy2910 wrote:
What pellets were these?

H&N FTT think I might have had a bad batch with that lot, usually much better

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix/

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 pm 

CJN wrote:

Actually no. That is exactly how "persnickity" this particular individual was. (He is not an FT shooter BTW).
You do not want me to describe his procedure for segregating his .22 RF competition ammo.
According to him, many shooters at "his" level do this. He became quite agitated when I called BS on it - he was dead serious.
IMO, pure insanity, or OC - not sure which.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:07 am 

Suprmatic wrote:
CJN wrote:

Actually no. That is exactly how "persnickity" this particular individual was. (He is not an FT shooter BTW).
You do not want me to describe his procedure for segregating his .22 RF competition ammo.
According to him, many shooters at "his" level do this. He became quite agitated when I called BS on it - he was dead serious.
IMO, pure insanity, or OC - not sure which.

No, your right, I will pass on that information :D

He was right that the weight and the size do need to be categorized and kept together, but what I was saying is that no need to go as far a 4.511 for example. OC is likely the cause. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:18 am 

Thanks for all the input guys. I normally just do a quick sort through the pellets I need for a match to remove any deformed skirts, but I figured with winter coming up a little additional QC on my part can't hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:20 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Must be nice to have a large supply of pellets to even think about sizing, weighing and sorting the things.
I'd settle for the availability of quality JSB 4.53's .... There is something to be said about purchasing in case lots....LOL... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:41 am 

Parker_101_ wrote:
Must be nice to have a large supply of pellets to even think about sizing, weighing and sorting the things.
I'd settle for the availability of quality JSB 4.53's .... There is something to be said about purchasing in case lots....LOL... :lol:

Usually I keep a good supply of pellets, but last night I realized that I am almost out of JSB .22 Exacts and I was planning to shoot a .22 at the next Hunter match! 200 pellets left and lots of test to do still! I don't think I'm going to make it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:48 am 

CJN wrote:
Parker_101_ wrote:

Usually I keep a good supply of pellets, but last night I realized that I am almost out of JSB .22 Exacts and I was planning to shoot a .22 at the next Hunter match! 200 pellets left and lots of test to do still! I don't think I'm going to make it!
Haha....lately I shoot exactly 60 pellets per month :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:12 am 

Pumpmaster wrote:
CJN wrote:
Parker_101_ wrote:

Haha....lately I shoot exactly 60 pellets per month :roll:

You better get practicing... you have your Hunter champion title to defend! Haha.

The November 01 Hunter only match should be a lot of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:10 pm 

CJN wrote:

You better get practicing... you have your Hunter champion title to defend! Haha.

The November 01 Hunter only match should be a lot of fun.
I wish I had the time! I'm closing on my new house in a week, so I have zero free time for practicing. I might be able to get out once before the next match. Can't wait for the hunter only match...what will you be shooting?