Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:06 am 

Airsmith, you did not understand what I was saying.

I was saying that how is a cop going to tell if your gun is shooting over 500fps if you have a manual for the gun that states it was manufactured to shoot under 500fps and at the same time the gun does not look like it has been modified to shoot over 500fps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:38 am 

well its not to hard for the cop to take the gun and have it tested and checked.it can happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:44 am 

and when was the last time you heard of this happening???? it's truly a rare event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 am 

belive it or not it happens more often then you might think just because its not on the news does not mean it does not happen,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:41 am 

I would just like to have one example. I've been messing with airguns and guns forever and I've never heard of this happening in Canada. Sometimes it may occur during the importation process (again, very rarely). The only times I've heard of this happening is in the gun oppressed UK.

However, it COULD happen. Having said that, the police would have to be fairly desperate to jump through these hoops in an attempt to prosecute an individual.

Be smart, be safe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:31 am 

airgunfun wrote:
I would just like to have one example. I've been messing with airguns and guns forever and I've never heard of this happening in Canada. Sometimes it may occur during the importation process (again, very rarely). The only times I've heard of this happening is in the gun oppressed UK.

However, it COULD happen. Having said that, the police would have to be fairly desperate to jump through these hoops in an attempt to prosecute an individual.

Be smart, be safe.

Conservation officers rountinely take samples from rifles in the area where a hunting violation has occurred (at least here in BC). For example, they will come into your hunting camp and ask if anyone is hunting with a 30-06. If yes, then they'll take it and fire off a round and keep the casing along with all your information. Then they send it into the lab with all the other evidence they've collected. This happened to a friend of mine last year (he wasn't the violator).

I could foresee an urban situation where somebody in your neighborhood has been taking pot shots at cars or people with a pellet gun (RCMP tend to take these things quite seriously). So the RCMP collect a few pellet samples from the scene, then start to ask questions. People on your street say you're an airgun nut. Knock, knock at your door ... "We'd like to ask you a few questions and examine your airgun collection." Even if they don't suspect you they'll likely want to take samples of pellets fired from your airguns. When 1 or 2 of the "non-pal" airguns sound like a 22LR and blow a hole through 1/4" plywood they may want to "have it examine by a firearm technician."

It may be far fethced ... but maybe not. My main point is that it can happen as a result of the actions of others. You don't have to do anything stupid to come under investigation. Why risk it by keeping a modded non-pal airgun around?

My 2 cents,
~Glen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:41 am 

Yes, of course that could happen. But I still would like an example of this ever happening to an airgun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:49 am 
Supporting Member 2009

I wonder if This guy ever got his airguns back. . .

PM me for FTP/valve combos, RVAs, DPHs and assorted brass accents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:58 am 

Yeah...I remember that...as soon as we started asking questions, he flew the coop. Legit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:59 am 

airgunfun wrote:
Yeah...I remember that...as soon as we started asking questions, he flew the coop. Legit?
:?

Post subject: Airgun violations
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:09 pm 

ustilago wrote:

There is definitely more to that story ... you don't get that kind of heat for an airgun violation (maybe drugs??)

~g.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:16 pm 

airgunfun wrote:
Yes, of course that could happen. But I still would like an example of this ever happening to an airgun.

I'd like to see an airgun example too! [Chanting] EXAMPLE, Example, example[/Chanting]

(Although I still wouldn't keep an unregistered airgun around the house that shoots more than 500fps)

~G.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:27 pm 

Hi There GUNS,

Here is a long shot of an idea that might work for your CP88... if you were to screw on another 4" CP88 barrel to your existing gun, you would then have a 10" barrel that, as we have seen with the Crosman 2240's when barrels have been increased, could yield extra FPS?

What I am getting at is if you look at the Uramex Nighthawk airgun, it has a screw on compensator, which is hollow. Now if there was another rifled barrel inside that compensator, would that not mean we would then have a 8" barrel as oppose to the existing 4" barrel?

If you were to get a CP88 4" barrel and the Nighthawk compensator which happens to be little over 4", you might be able to use the two on your CP88. I believe there is a cover that screws off the front of the barrel like it is on the CP99, CPSPORT and the Nighthawk airguns. If so, you might be able to screw on the compensator directly. This way you are not making any changes to the CP88 and therefore really no laws are being broken other than when this extension is attached? :wink:

I know this might sound very far fetch to many of you, but it's a long shot.

I got this idea from the ANICs webpage from their SKIF-A3000 airguns. There are 2 models available... a 4" barrel version called the SKIF-A3000 http://www.anics.com/en/products/a-3000.asp and a longer barrel version called the SKIF-A3000 LB http://www.anics.com/en/products/a-3000lb.asp.

If you take a look at the muzzle velocity charts of each airgun, the one with the longer barrel has a higher m/s or fps.

Like I said before, it is a long shot, but that is the beauty of working with airguns... it's to see what will we think of next?

Take care,

NIGHTHAWK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:32 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I must admit I had not thought of a longer barrel.

I have (had?) a Daisy Powerline 856 laying around that sucks mightily. Inaccurate, poor velocity and the stock and action wobble around making it impossible to zero a scope.

So I cut eight inches off of the end of the barrel. An hour or so on the drill press with some files resulted in this. . .

First shot off of a fresh 12g with Crosman Wadcutters clocked in at 484 fps. the next few shots dropped down to 420 fps where it settled in nicely.

Now it shoots 420-435 fps fairly consistently if you take 15-20 seconds between shots. That's a 100fps gain over the stock 3.5" barrel.
Oh, and I'm getting rediculously high shot counts now (I lost track at 128).

PM me for FTP/valve combos, RVAs, DPHs and assorted brass accents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:39 pm 

ustilago wrote:
I must admit I had not thought of a longer barrel.

I have (had?) a Daisy Powerline 856 laying around that sucks mightily. Inaccurate, poor velocity and the stock and action wobble around making it impossible to zero a scope.

So I cut eight inches off of the end of the barrel. An hour or so on the drill press with some files resulted in this. . .

First shot off of a fresh 12g with Crosman Wadcutters clocked in at 484 fps. the next frew shots dropped down to 420 fps where it settled in nicely.

Now it shoots 420-435 fps fairly consistently if you take 15-20 seconds between shots. That's a 100fps gain over the stock 3.5" barrel.
Oh, and I'm getting rediculously high shot counts now (I lost track at 128).
Wow! Put a shroud over the extenstion to make it look like a silencer! Then you can be just like James Bond!