Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: survival weapon?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:52 pm 

I've not seen this one here, but in centerfire forums this is a hot topic. Would an airgun be an effective survival weapon?

Although I doubt I'd want to face anything in a defence situation with any available airgun, I think as a very quiet and accurate tool, a good airgun would fill the pot probably as effectively as anything.

So far, given my limited experience, my selection would be the Crossman 2289, scoped with a 14" barrel.

That would take up little space, and allow me to carry a lever action 45/70 or .44 magnum if I was forced to make noise.

How about your ideas?

Post subject: Re: survival weapon?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:56 pm 

a nice short stubby style shotgun. would be sweet but in .22 pellet(convert a stubby shotgun into a 22 pellet gun) and have it shooting at like 900+ fps that'll be a good survival pellet gun

crosman phantom 500 .22 modded
colt 1911 a1 .177
crosman 150 .22
beeman p17
crosman 38c .22
benji 397 .177
soon benji disco .22
too many powder burners to list.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:11 pm 

Any decent PAL rated airgun,would keep the pot filled with small game...

Beeman P17 with Tasco red dot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:25 pm 

i might have to try to make a nice single shot stubby airgun thats my next invention i hope :lol: i just hope that itll work and with my budget gettin smally and smaller its hard to say atm. time to work more overtime again

colt 1911 a1 .177
crosman 150 .22
beeman p17
crosman 38c .22
benji 397 .177
soon benji disco .22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:58 pm 

Good question.

I know as far as powderburners go I have a .223 that also use a .22 rimfire conversion kit so I have the choice of 2 calibers with one gun. Being able to carry .223 for larger game and then being able to lower the report and carry much more .22 rimfire ammo makes my CAR .223 my 1st choice for my powderburners.

This logic was also applied to my decision to buy a PCP.

My parameters for a suitable platform was as follows:

1. The ability to use multiple inexpensive quick change barrels.

2. Adjustable power levels from 12 ft lbs of energy to over 70 ft lbs.

3. Backup buddy tank as opposed to a fixed tank.

4. The ability to machine parts easily if needed.

5. A platform that can be quickly diassembled for transport.

6. Being able to use CO2, scuba tank, or handpump.

7. Consistant accuracy for shooting out to 120 yards even in wind.

8. And lastly having an airgun that provided over twice the power of many low powered PCP's while providing a suitable shot count with 1 tank.

If ammunition is ever restricted I should have access to pellets or make my own thru swaging while having compressed air as a propellent as opposed to gunpowder.

With my PCP hand pump, access to pellets, and being able to make 70 ft lbs of power without a sonic crack my Condor has met all these requirements perfectly. The platform is a simple design that fortunately any machinists can make parts unlike many of the more complex airguns available.

I was doing some tests and the Kodiak 31 grain pellets easily blasted thru a spruce 2X4 and embedded deep into the second one so whether using a screw on CO2 99.00 adapter for 12 ft lbs or using a stock Condor valve adjusting power for plinking or filling the cooking pot is of no concern to me. :D

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:07 pm 

you make a good point there man

colt 1911 a1 .177
crosman 150 .22
beeman p17
crosman 38c .22
benji 397 .177
soon benji disco .22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:35 pm 

Personally I don't like the term "weapon" to be used with guns that are designed for hunting or target shooting. In the context of hunting, target shooting, or protection against wildlife "weapon" is not a correct term. (note the dictionary definition below) Calling hunting or target firearms "weapons" gives them a very bad image to those who know the meaning of the word.

weap⋅on
   /ˈwɛpən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [wep-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:37 pm 

DoctorFrankengun wrote:
Personally I don't like the term "weapon" to be used with guns that are designed for hunting or target shooting. In the context of hunting, target shooting, or protection against wildlife "weapon" is not a correct term. (note the dictionary definition below) Calling hunting or target firearms "weapons" gives them a very bad image to those who know the meaning of the word.

weap⋅on
–noun
1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.

Good point, hey Bobby what does Canadian Law call PAL rated airguns?

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:08 pm 

they call them as firearms over 500fps lol.

colt 1911 a1 .177
crosman 150 .22
beeman p17
crosman 38c .22
benji 397 .177
soon benji disco .22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:39 pm 

I would never consider using airguns for survival. I would choose a centerfire. I think my .375 H&H or my Rem .338 UltraMagnum would be my primary choices.

If you didn't have to worry about large predators then airguns would be alright. You can easily live off rabbits and squirrels which is no problem for airguns.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:47 pm 

DoctorFrankengun wrote:

weap⋅on
–noun

You make a good point. I'll make every effort to change this verbage forthwith!!!!! :D :D Thanks! :mrgreen:

As a point in a survival situation, you might not be able to pack compressors. You might not want to make noise, either. Then again you might want somebody to find you, as well. To want to be found, or not want to be found, that is the question.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:15 pm 

when i know i doing travelling out of town on the highways i always bring my 30-30 win with me at alll times. just in case. cause you never know when it might come in handy for protection if you crash into an animal so they dont suffer and for noise as a signal device.

ps. by the way by travelling on the highway i meen goin to grandparents house down neer fort frances not long long distances cause of different regulations just wanna clear that up so no one thinks otherwise.

colt 1911 a1 .177
crosman 150 .22
beeman p17
crosman 38c .22
benji 397 .177
soon benji disco .22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:12 pm 

After reading this again I misunderstood. I meant I would include my PCP along with my Powderburner if I could have a choice over my springers or CO2 airguns.

Other than a small game getter NO way for a survival gun.

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:45 am 

Hummm, all interesting choices but the title says "Survival", since surviving something is unexpected, it is hard to choose. I carry the highest grade pocket knife I could afford, a Camillus Dominator, all the time. In my hunting fanny pack I have a Swiss Army knife, snares and a collapsible slingshot and a couple of steel shots.

As far as general carry for camping and walkabouts I guess any takedown/compact rifle or pistol powerful enough to take games will do.

But I think survival is more skill then tools.

As an "Emergency/protection" gun I take my Rem. 870 12G with pistol grips.

Condor
Etc....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:45 pm 

blackwidowman wrote:
Hummm, all interesting choices but the title says "Survival", since surviving something is unexpected, it is hard to choose. I carry the highest grade pocket knife I could afford, a Camillus Dominator, all the time. In my hunting fanny pack I have a Swiss Army knife, snares and a collapsible slingshot and a couple of steel shots.

As far as general carry for camping and walkabouts I guess any takedown/compact rifle or pistol powerful enough to take games will do.

But I think survival is more skill then tools.

As an "Emergency/protection" gun I take my Rem. 870 12G with pistol grips.

Well we think the same then.

1. Wrist Slingshot c/w steel balls
2. 9mm sidearm
3. Centrefire rifle
4. .22 rimfire
5. Ithaca M37 sidefolder in 12 g of course
6. And good quality knives
7. And PCP for when the ammo runs out :cry:

Not to mention pack equipment which is too numerous to list.

Randy