Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:08 pm 

..... FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT ... Just go ahead & ask -(RE: Handycam to MAC !!!!! )............. I DARE YA .............
The FRUSTRATION FACTOR was HUGE ... but I made it by being RELENTLESS .............. That's Just .....ME, ...... But I Hope you Folks enjoy the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHwtXiwsYE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:48 am 

You did a really nice job zooming in on the targets as they got hit. Captures the experience well. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:08 am 
Supporting Member 2009

I look forward to watching your videos as much as I do the match!!

This one is excellent; I love seeing the targets fall and listening to the sounds. Its great how you were able ro catch some video of each group. I say we always pair you up in a group of three!!

EXCELLENT Job PK!

Post subject: Re: Faulty Target
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:54 pm 

Fantastic Job PK...as usual! Whomever owns the rat target that gets knocked over at 2:23 in the video, check your target...it clearly went over with a face hit!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:35 pm 

If I am REALLY, REALLY lucky, & the local photoshop can recover all the cool target-drops I caught whilst following The BIG-B, & " CJN " all day ... ('nuff said THERE;) - At that- One-Of , & First EVER, - Pistol FT Shoot in Our own Country, ... Well, ...... you can be assured that another "DROP" vid will soon follow ....i'll keep you posted if there is any success, 20 bucks either way there, but worth it. ..... Then I'll exchange the defunct memory stick for a newbie.
Thanks to both of you for the kind comments, I MAKE the EFFORT in order to SHARE our fun sport.
Tom,- shooting in a group of three is critical, I realized that shortly after realizing that not only was there a shortage of vids of targets falling on the "interwebs" a TRIPOD was required to capture the action at distance, whether a still shot, OR vid- at about the same time i absorbed the fact my wife's new handycam has 60x Optical ZOOM & digital in the thou's !!! (I shot WEDDING VIDS for a living once .. LONG ago.)
It means carrying the EXTRA equipment WEIGHT & you DO CARE for it as you go, & at the end of the day, you FEEL it too .... me no Spring -Chicken.
I will happily be the odd man out at any future match for the opportunity to get back into my two favorite hobbies since childhood; SHOOTING, and SHOOTING PICTURES .... believe me, the skill-sets are SO similar the one helped the other as i learned it. AND the exercise is decent at any age !!!! if ya know what i mean. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:03 pm 

Hey Windbag, timing is everything..... you had less to type & got in while I was trying to be the bag 0 wind....har har ....
I had a forum member contact me this morning re: that rat target, never mind the "SNAKE" .. I can only say that I attended, I took pictures, it's a matter of identifying faulty targets, and either repairing them or removing them from competition matches so that there is the proverbial " LEVEL PLAYING FIELD " for ALL. I had to be TOLD @ the RAT's BUM_KNOCKDOWN -I missed that in editing a LOT, & have yet to see it cuz I'm just coming down off of a day installing backsplashes for me Wifey.
Thanks for your response, I hope I Haven't STEPPED on any TOES, Like; OOPS!
Where is the CONSTERNATION - " Smiley " ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:17 pm 

After watching the frame by frame of the snake target shot, it looks to me like the pellet hit the left edge of the zones and splattered at fairly tall, not round hole in the tape on the left side. If this was the case, this type of target locks for an instant when the face is hit and will prevent it from falling. The hole in the tape looks like about a quarter inch high after the shot. It was not my target and I am not positive, but it looks like a rim shot with a fair amount of lead getting through the zone to move the paddle. I did not see any protests on the score cards with respect to the target and all six of the 12 ft/lb guys in WFTF PCP scored two hits on it.

I do have a target exactly like it and it has never malfunctioned.

JFYI

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:23 pm 

Wow! you've raised the bar...Now we are all gonna have to polish up on our editing skills :wink: Great job, I really like the close ups of the targets.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 pm 

The learning curve is up there after a season & 1/2 or so at the F>T>FUN ...... Despite the fact that me good Miss's has kept me busy outside of work, -( I Can't MIND !!! ) ... the air-gun-fun is the best for a break; - OVER Golf; any day ...........................
Thanks Canshooter, you're a good man. I regret that despite the effort with the photo shop & all, no PISTOL SHOOT images were found & all i can say is ... #@!^&)(^*!!!!%$#^@&)*&$$$#@#^%%%*&^ ) ... Wal-Mart X-CHANGE & then ...... Ahhhh, I've VENTED ...

Mac, me buddy, ... I reviewed the footage of that snake shot & have to AGREE that it may have been a rim-shot.
BUT,
I gotta Can-Fulla Worms to deal with here, -Hmmmmmm .....

The Rat's-Ass shot I missed entirely - MY BAD ... Shush ......... I do know it is best for a Field Target in Competition -to NOT drop with a hit to the face-plate.
BUT - SHOULDN'T a PADDLE_HIT of 5 FOOT_POUNDS or UNDER actually DROP it -regardless ?

Just askin' CUZ I'm New.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:37 pm 

Oh wow, that looks like SO much fun, was it just me or were there a lot of QB variation guns there? looked like a great day,

I am going to have to try this out some time, I'd be lucky to finish anything above dead last, but a horrible day of shooting is better than a great day of working, so it would be worth it for the experience!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:42 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Beautiful job on the video, best one i've seen. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 am 

"The Rat's-buttock shot I missed entirely - MY BAD ... Shush ......... I do know it is best for a Field Target in Competition -to NOT drop with a hit to the face-plate.
BUT - SHOULDN'T a PADDLE_HIT of 5 FOOT_POUNDS or UNDER actually DROP it -regardless ?"

I am not sure I understand this entirely.

The first part about the rat. In a perfect world, every target would function perfectly. There are so many factors that affect the targets function, some of which are beyond control. If a piece of lead from a splattered pellet lodges where it hinders function, that can be a problem and there are other factors like this. Most of the guys test their targets and at the start of the match, they are all functioning properly. Sometimes people get a little to forceful when resetting targets and pull the back of the base upwards causing the target face to be leaning forward. This greatly affect the function of some targets. Things on the targets can loosen up when hit with 5 to 18ft/lb of energy over and over, which can affect the target.

The second part about 5ft/lb and under is a little confusing. Targets at a regular FT match are tested to fall reliably at just under 5ft/lb. If a gun shoots 5ft/lb at the muzzle, it will not drop targets reliably. If you adjust the target too light, you get a scenario like the rat that goes down with a face hit. If you adjust it too heavy, the lower power guns may not take it down reliably. Every target owner does their best to have the targets go down with just under 5ft/lb and at the same time, stay up with an 18-20ft/lb face hit. Some targets are easy to adjust and some take a real balancing act. I have some targets that I simply cannot use in a match, so they just sit at home. If there is a target protested at a match, the test gun is used to check the function of the target. If it fails, like one did at the last match, it is pulled and everyone is given full points for that target. When I first started at Waterloo, it cost you $5 to protest a target and if the target failed, you got the $5 back; if it passed, you were out $5. Protests are free now and we still do not get a great number of protests.

So guys buy targets at anywhere from $35 up to $80+ each. They volunteer to set up lanes at a match to even out the work load. Sometimes targets malfunction and the owner is bothered by that; I know I am. So they go home and work at adjusting the target to function properly. Sometimes they find the target cannot be adjusted to within the tolerances needed, so they now have a target that cannot be used and they are out $35 to $80 for something they can use only for practice. Most guys are fine with that, bite the bullet and do not say anything about it. They use different targets next time and the FT match goes on.

I love watching the videos of the matches and I know everyone else does. If, however, they become an instant replay of sorts and after the match the fairness of the match is questioned, I know some folks will stop setting up lanes and understandably so. They do their best to set up targets properly and then volunteer to bring targets to a match and set up lanes so everyone can enjoy the match and then find themselves being criticized on a public forum, after the "video reply"? The snake target was not protested nor was it pulled from the match and everyone that was there knew that and yet the question was posed right on the video. I am very thankful that the owner of that target does not participate on any online forums.

This is a volunteer job that no one gets paid for and in fact it costs them quite a bit of money. I know I spend hours on end at the club and at home in preparation for these matches and I am happy to do so. I also have very thick skin after teaching 7th and 8th grades for 31 years, so I just shrug off criticism, whether it is intentional or unintentional. What worries me is that the cooperation and help we get at Port matches, which is very rare for FT clubs, may start to disappear if the efforts made by a good number of individuals continue to be called into question after the fact. Not one person helping would ever knowingly set out a faulty target and no one feels worse than they do when one of their targets malfunctions. That is all I can ask.

After all concerns voiced have been addressed at the match and awards handed out, it is over. I doubt if there has ever been a perfect match in the true sense of the word. For myself and many others, most matches are close enough.

I would hate to have these pictures and videos not available for everyone to see and enjoy. I would ask that you use them for the purpose I thought they were intended, pure enjoyment.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 pm 

I think all of us that shoot understand that there is a chance that the mechanical targets that we pound with lead could get damaged and fail. I am sure that it has happened to both my detriment and benefit and will continue to happen...so what? It can happen equally to any shooter every time they go out. We are all in the same boat. Sure it can be frustrating when you are sure that a shot was good and the target doesn't drop but how many of us complain when when we get a freebee? I think it all comes out even in the end, and the truth is as I have said before, we are all just grown men playing with pellet guns! If ya dont like the odds dont play the game is my attitude :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:01 pm 

I WILL be there to shoot air-guns AGAIN .....meanwhile the SPAM that showed up in huge quantities in my INBOX WAS ??????

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:05 pm 

When i can be responsible for all that i do & say : it will be yesterday, NO FOOLIN" :|