Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:59 pm 

I have never been a real big fan of airguns due to the fact that for the longest time I have never seen any that I liked or found that shot very well. For the most part, my past experience with airguns has been spring powered rifles and a few Daisy levers and Crossman pumps. Nothing exciting, or very accurate for the most part. As far as pistols were concerned, I had shot a few that a range of about 15 feet. I always looked at was for sale in the display cases at Canadian Tire and other sporting good stores but had never seen anything that interested me. A few years ago I bought myself a Marksman 1010 pistol that I took with me while deer hunting so I could shoot grouse, as I often saw more of them while hunting deer instead of small game.

Anyways, a little while ago I was at my mechanics getting work done and he showed me a Umarex pistol that he had bought for shooting pigeons on the side of the building. It was a H&K USP bb repeater. I was quite impressed with the quality of the build on that particluar model and how well it fired and its advertised 400 fps. I happen to be a frequent shopper at the store where he bought it for work and hunting purposes but never really paid much attention to the airguns. I took a trip down there a few days later and checked out the stock of air pistols. There was a decent selection of Crossman's and Umarex's for the most part. After checking out every model in the case I settled on the Beretta PX4 Storm by Umarex. Since then I have been reading about many different air pistols and watching reviews on youtube and have become quite interested in them and have already decided on a few other models I will be aquiring including the second one I have purchased, the H&K P30, also from Umarex. Here I will give a review of the PX4 Storm and I will do another review of the P30 in a different thread.

Beretta PX4 Storm by Umarex

Description
The Px4 Storm air pistol is not only a BB gun, but a pellet gun as well. It will shoot either projectile from its revolutionary dual-ended magazine. This 16-shot repeater will have you shooting as fast as you can pull the trigger. There's an 8-shot rotary clip on one end of the stick mag, and another one at the other end. Since it shoots BBs or pellets, you'll have more flexibility with ammo choice. A 12-gram CO2 is easily loaded into the grip and gives you plenty of shots before you need a refill. There's even an accessory rail under the barrel. Like the handgun, it has real blowback action, it really kicks, giving you a feeling of power that most airguns only hope to achieve! Once you start shooting, you won't want to stop, so get lots of RWS pellets, BBs and Walther CO2. (From Umarex's website)

The PX4 Storm is constructed of a combination of metal and plastic, the slide, trigger, hammer and internal components are metal. The receiver, grip and dual-ended rotary magazine are plastic. The plastic is of durable quality and will hold up to rigorous use. The gun is well balanced and has a comfortable feel.

Both the CO2 and magazine are loaded into the handle, the CO2 is loaded through the back of the handle by removing a section of the grip which is friction fit. The Magazine is loaded from the bottom of the grip similar to the real gun and is released by pressing the release button at the trigger guard. The magazine has an 8-round rotary clip at either end and after one rotary is empty just release the magazine, flip it over and reinsert for another 8 shots. The magazine can be loaded with either steel BBs or pellets. The pellets are held in place by a magnet that is installed at each end of the magazine.

The gun fires very nicely and has a bit more realism than most airpistols due to the blowback action of the slide. The downfall of the blowback is that extra air from the CO2 cannister is required to cycle it, which therefore results is reduced shots. I average about 32 good shots with consistent accuracy and 16 shots with highly reduced accuracy. The gun can be fired in either single or double action, however after each shot the slide recocks the hammer. To fire in double action, just decock the hammer. Engaging the safety will automatically decock the hammer or you can hold the hammer and pull the trigger and manually return the hammer to the forward position.

Aiming is greatly improved with the white dots that are on the forward and rear sights making target aqusition much faster. Accuaracy is qutie good at short range ( I have not had an opportunity to fire at range beyond 20 feet due to living within city limits and not being able to shoot outside), groupings of 2 inches is average for me.

I have only put about 500 rounds down the rifled barrel and am so far quite happy with this pistol and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, realistic, action pistol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:52 pm 

Just read your review of the PX4 Storm and it's quite helpfull. The thing that caught my eye was the line. " I happen to be a frequent shopper at the store where he bought it for work and hunting purposes & There was a decent selection of Crossman's and Umarex's for the most part. "

I was wondering if you would be able to tell me what store you are refering to. I have found a couple of places on line that have this but I want to actually hold this in my hand to see what it feels like before putting out the $100 + dollars. I have found several hunting store that carry Air Rifles but not air guns / pistols.

If you can let me know what the name of the store and where it's located it would be appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:36 pm 

Smith Army Surplus in Kingston. www.sasonline.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:08 am 

Good review. Thanks.
I have one of these and it is fun to use.
Holding it really tight you can get better than two inches groupings at 20 feet.

Air Pistols: Baikal IZH46M; Webley Alecto .22; Umarex Beretta 92FS; Umarex Colt 1911A1;

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:28 pm 

I find the Px4 to feel great in the hand and I really like the pellet option and rifled barrel. The trigger is a little soft but I could feel everything it was doing. I bought one because I thought the blowback feature would be a hoot and it is.

From around 15 feet out I can get a good 1-2 inch grouping but going back to 30 feet the shots grow to around 4-6 inches. My Crosman 3576 revolver kept a 2 inch group at the same 30 foot distance. That 3576 is amazing and for $42 at Lebarons it is a relative steal.

I can shoot four mags (4x16=64 shots) under good power with the Px4. Going for a fifth mag results in the slide not blowing back about 1/3 of the time although the pellets still fired.

The Px4 is a lot of fun but accuracy is only adequate. Methinks the blowback feature is throwing off the accuracy.
Got mine at airgunsource.com in Peterborough for $100 before tax & shipping; for around $169 I got the Px4, 3 additional magazines, HST and shipping. Ordered it on a Monday and the maildude delivered it on Wednesday! Canadian Tire wanted $200 before tax for just the gun :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:50 pm 

Quote:
Rickster wrote
From around 15 feet out I can get a good 1-2 inch grouping but going back to 30 feet the shots grow to around 4-6 inches. My Crosman 3576 revolver kept a 2 inch group at the same 30 foot distance. That 3576 is amazing and for $42 at Lebarons it is a relative steal.

That’s exactly the grudge I have against the PX4 Storm for a few years I’ve been having it. Bluntly saying it’s a nice pistol with a lousy accuracy. I also agree that the humble Crosman 3576 is a paragon of accuracy if compared with the PX4. Although this comparison may not be quite fair because the Crosman 3576 is a typical revolver having 6” barrel and the PX4 Storm is a revolver with a fake blowback and a short 4” barrel.
In general I’ve found that the real blowback BB pistols such as the Sig Sauer P226 (especially the one with an adjustable rear sight), the Tanfoglio Witness (or its KWC counterpart) and the GSG 92 (or its KWC counterpart) bring the most fun because they operate exactly like real firearms, are accurate (more than the PX4 Storm) and although not powerhouses they have enough muzzle energy to punch paper and destroy tin cans and other dynamic targets at 30 feet.
The other group of high quality pellet pistols are the Umarex revolvers disguised as semi-autos such as the Beretta 92FS, Walther CP88, Colt 1911A1 and Smith&Wesson 586/686. Their principal selling point is quality. Obviously, they are very accurate at 25-30 feet having 5-6” long rifled barrels.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:30 pm 

inside view
Attachment:
DSC_3401_1_0.jpg
DSC_3401_1_0.jpg [ 612.78 KiB | Viewed 5084 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_3403_1_0.jpg
DSC_3403_1_0.jpg [ 437.25 KiB | Viewed 5084 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_3430_done.jpg
DSC_3430_done.jpg [ 453.83 KiB | Viewed 5084 times ]

Browning Buck Mark URX (Umarex)
Beeman P17
Beretta Px4 Storm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_20150405_104057.jpg
IMG_20150405_104057.jpg [ 557.71 KiB | Viewed 5081 times ]

traces of rifling on pellet

Attachment:
Px4 Storm pellet_0.jpg
Px4 Storm pellet_0.jpg [ 408.57 KiB | Viewed 5081 times ]

Browning Buck Mark URX (Umarex)
Beeman P17
Beretta Px4 Storm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:14 pm 

I'm quite satisfied with the PX4 for the price.
I use the Umarex Walther laser site, and it's pretty accurate @ 20ft.
If Your going to rapid fire, of course the accuracy will suffer from the blowback.
With proper aiming technique, pausing between rounds, and with single action you'll get results.
By the way, Watch Out! I started with the PX4, and look where it's gotten Me Now!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:57 am 

I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if the gun would be more accurate if the barrel was replaced with a quality barrel machined to fit. A 2" group at 20' with pellets is pretty bad.

When I heard that this pistol shot pellets as well as BBs, I was encouraged until I read about the accuracy.

What do you think?